Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2002, 09:34 PM   #1
starmax

Best intake upgrade for $50

Hey all,

I got $50 to spend on upgrading my air intake system. I'm either going to get a K&N drop in filter, or one of those cheap air intake systems. I'm not too worried about looks, but a whirrring sound would be nice.

TIA
Old 01-27-2002, 09:45 PM   #2
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

If you're only looking to spend $50, I'd probably just get a K&N and then save up for a real intake. Actually, I'd put the $50 toward and AEM cold air intake. If you're going to spend the money, why not do it wisely?

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2002, 12:33 AM   #3
Lovebuzz13

I agree. Don't waste the $50 on something not worth it because later on you're gonna want something better. Just save up and get the AEM.
Old 01-28-2002, 12:33 PM   #4
SWIFT

well, k&n drop in filter is worth the money, believe me. take out your resonator box and cut the "U" pipe and make it like a "J" pipe so it sucks cool air from the fender well. you'll be amazed w/ the result...
Old 01-28-2002, 06:45 PM   #5
slowEJ6

k&n drop in is awesome. you'll gain maybe 1-2hp less than an AEM and save yourself some flow. good idea? yes it is.
slowEJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2002, 06:59 PM   #6
starmax

Quote:
Originally posted by SWIFT
well, k&n drop in filter is worth the money, believe me. take out your resonator box and cut the "U" pipe and make it like a "J" pipe so it sucks cool air from the fender well. you'll be amazed w/ the result...

Know where I can find detailed instructions on how to do this?

Thanks everyone
Old 01-28-2002, 07:00 PM   #7
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by hybrid3do0rcx
k&n drop in is awesome. you'll gain maybe 1-2hp less than an AEM and save yourself some flow. good idea? yes it is.

You only gain 1-2 hp less than an AEM CAI w/ a drop in filter??? Do you have any dyno sheets that show this? It seems like many more people would go this route.

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2002, 11:40 PM   #8
SWIFT

Quote:
Originally posted by starmax

Know where I can find detailed instructions on how to do this?

Thanks everyone

well its really not that hard. 1. raise up the car (it's a lot easier if you take off the tire too) 2. remove the splash cover so you'll have access to the box 3. remove all the bolts holding the box ( i think there's like 3or4 bolts) then take it out. 4. you'll notice the "U" like pipe that connects the resonator box and the air(filter) box; you need to cut it in the middle so you're left w/ a "J" like pipe, you need the half going to the air box-- note: it's a good idea to cut it after the bolt so when you put it back, it'll be steady . 5. reconnect the "J" pipe to the box (it'll serve as your cool air collector). reset your ecu and go for a test drive..tell us what you think! goodluck
Old 01-29-2002, 02:26 PM   #9
starmax

Quote:
Originally posted by SWIFT

well its really not that hard. 1. raise up the car (it's a lot easier if you take off the tire too) 2. remove the splash cover so you'll have access to the box 3. remove all the bolts holding the box ( i think there's like 3or4 bolts) then take it out. 4. you'll notice the "U" like pipe that connects the resonator box and the air(filter) box; you need to cut it in the middle so you're left w/ a "J" like pipe, you need the half going to the air box-- note: it's a good idea to cut it after the bolt so when you put it back, it'll be steady . 5. reconnect the "J" pipe to the box (it'll serve as your cool air collector). reset your ecu and go for a test drive..tell us what you think! goodluck

Well, I looked at my intake this morning and I think I understand. Do you think there is any chance of water getting sucked up? I doubt it because the air filter sits on top of a rather large reservoir, but I don't have much experience with this stuff.

Thanks again.
Old 01-29-2002, 09:11 PM   #10
SWIFT

no...this project is very safe w/ water. none will be sucked up. i used to have the aem cai and i was very happy w/ the result i got but i was so paranoid about the water issue so i sold it. no matter how much they told me that it was safe, my worries didnt go away...it's just me, i know. i bought an ice box (comptech) for my teg instead but they dont make one for civic eg yet so i had to go w/ the traditional k&n drop-in project. i have a hybrid and i love what this k&n filter does for me; plus no worries about the water issue...goodluck!
Old 04-14-2002, 09:02 PM   #11
iamsparticuz

I heard that the k&n air filters boost on average 5 hp, no more than 10. The site advertises as much as 15. Does anyone know the exact amount? and why is it that most people go the cold air intake route rather than the new air filter?
Old 04-15-2002, 05:33 PM   #12
starmax

Quote:
Originally posted by iamsparticuz
I heard that the k&n air filters boost on average 5 hp, no more than 10. The site advertises as much as 15. Does anyone know the exact amount? and why is it that most people go the cold air intake route rather than the new air filter?
well I didn't do a dyno or anything, but I would guess 1-2 hp gain by just the filter and 3-4 hp total after I removed the resonator.
Old 04-15-2002, 08:08 PM   #13
slowEJ6

Quote:
Originally posted by 94_AcCoRd_EX

You only gain 1-2 hp less than an AEM CAI w/ a drop in filter??? Do you have any dyno sheets that show this? It seems like many more people would go this route.
im talking avg gains, not max gains. but the difference cant really be felt whatsoever. more people go the AEM route because it looks better under the hood - is my guess.
Old 04-15-2002, 08:10 PM   #14
slowEJ6

Quote:
Originally posted by starmax

well I didn't do a dyno or anything, but I would guess 1-2 hp gain by just the filter and 3-4 hp total after I removed the resonator.
the resonator only deadens the sound of the intake.....