Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2005, 09:28 PM   #1
TriumphRoadster6
Parked

Head Swap

Hello all. Obviously new to this forum, so I'll give a quick intoduction and then my real question: My name is Webb, and I don't have a Honda, but I've come to ask about a head swap for a friend. I actually have a 1972 Triumph TR6, and it's kickass; I love it. I work at a mechanic's shop that does frame-off restorations on Triumphs, MGs, Jaguars, and the occasional Austin Healey. I just finished an engine rebuild on my TR6, as well as painting the engine bay and a new exhaust system (Pacesetter header and quad tips, about 2" each tip). It's been bored to .030" over (out of necessity), and had a rear tube shock conversion kit. I'll post a pic in the Rides section later.

But anyway, I need to know what the best head for a ~'98 Integra LS is. I don't know much about the Asian tuner market, so that's where you guys come in.

Thanks in advance.

Fear the 6
TriumphRoadster6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 09:45 PM   #2
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

Depends.
Doing a vtec conversion?
A b18c gsr head will yield more compression where a b16a head will flow better. A type r head is a b16a version with better valvetrain whatnots and ported to flow even better.

If sticking w/ non vtec just port a b20b/z head out a little more, since it already flows better than the b18b head.
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 10:16 PM   #3
TriumphRoadster6
Parked

B16 Type R sounds like the way to go. You can increase compression on an engine fairly easily, but changing the way it flows is a whole nother story, and IMHO is more important than compression, considering an engine is just a big air pump, and all it wants is air. The more you can get through it, the happier it is.

Is a VTEC conversion (which is what is going to be done) a nearly bolt on conversion? I've forgotten all the nuances of VTEC, VVT-i, etc. That's what happens when you work on pushrod engines all the time. Gotta love em. But anyway, if it's not, what else is involved?

Fear the 6

Last edited by TriumphRoadster6 : 02-12-2005 at 06:58 PM.
TriumphRoadster6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 07:10 AM   #4
IALuder

not to discurage you but you should read this: http://www.phatwhippincrx.20m.com/custom4.html

and the head your looking for it a CTR B16a. the GSR head is B18c1.

if you cant dazzle them with your brillance, baffle them with your bullshit.
IALuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 11:27 AM   #5
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

Yeah...Lots and LOTS of people dislike ls/vtec and about the same number of people love it.
It really has gone a long way and become more reliable...but personally I wouldnt do it.
Wait for MissJDM to show up and give her thoughts. She's our resident b20/lsvtec queen
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 12:08 PM   #6
AzCivic

i'd personally take the money and use it for some boost.
AzCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 01:02 AM   #7
MissJDM

Quote:
Originally posted by pdiggitydogg
Yeah...Lots and LOTS of people dislike ls/vtec and about the same number of people love it.
It really has gone a long way and become more reliable...but personally I wouldnt do it.
Wait for MissJDM to show up and give her thoughts. She's our resident b20/lsvtec queen

PAT, how sweet of you for the last comment. I'll forever remember it.

So I always thought it to be true that a b16a head flows 5.25% better [than the GSR] - simply allows more air - CFM. A type R head differs from the b16a because it's mildly ported and polished from factory itself and the cams/springs/retainers/valves are stronger..hence why the Type R revs at 9k while a b16a revs at 8200. I have a b20 myself, but decided to build from the bottom up so of course my "neccessities" may differ from your friend's. Aside from a COMPLETE [distibutor, intake manifold, throttle body, injectors etc] VTEC head, you'll need to relocate the dowel pins, plug the oil supply hole which is included in an oil line kit that is specifically for ls/b20VTEC conversions..[$75-125.], tap the head and use an ls head gasket.

So, lets refer to this Chart from Alaniz..who has built some of the fastest hondas around. You'll notice that the difference in flow isn't as drastic as said to be, but the difference of a few CFM here and there can easily be attributed to casting differences.

It's a controversial subject as I've heard opposing opinions. Take it as you wish..but keep in mind that the b16a head has a bigger combustion chamber over the GSR, 42.7cc to 41.6cc, which is one of the reasons it is the prefered head [+ it's lower in cost.]

That's all I can remember right now..then again I just got home less than an hour ago from working 9:45am-10pm.

BTW, welcome to the forums!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg b16vsgsrstock.jpg (52.2 KB, 35 views)

you say it best when you say nothing at all
MissJDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 01:05 AM   #8
MissJDM

Oh, and don't listen to the "it's-not-reliable" sh!t. I happen to think that any "heavily" modded car has its great chance of being "unreliable."

you say it best when you say nothing at all
MissJDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 02:05 AM   #9
AzCivic

why would the head combustion chamber being bigger be advantageous? does the gsr head take the compression ratio to far?
AzCivic is offline   Reply With Quote