::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Hybrid
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2004, 03:31 PM   #1
Ezra

H23 Vtec setup

First of hello to everyone as i'm new to this forum and hope i will be of help to some as some will be of help to me...
Now on to the questions....

Im working on my younger brothers Prelude, a 96 Si h23a1 automatic and the ecu code reading is done via OBD2. However I looked under the floor mat at his ecu and found this little thing...37820-p14-a63-894102616. This P14 is supposed to be an OBD1 ecu but not in this case.... anyone know why? the car was manufactured in japan june 96 and what i wanted to do was keep it all obd2. I bought a P5M ecu from a 98 auto lude and was hopping to be able to just plug it in and run a vtec wire but now im not so sure... Any one know if in 96 honda made an obd2 P14? Also can anyone point me in the direction of some ecu skematics for the 96 and 98 ludes?

Thanks...
The engine plan is h23 bottom, .25mm over type S pistons (11:1) h22 vtec head with a golden Eagle intake manifold, mustang 70mm tb, ractive 4:2:1 exhaust and some porting and polishing of the head done by me... I am planning on using the h23's dist on the h22 head and add a vtec oil pump and run a feed line to the head... you guys see anything i'm missing?

Ezra-
Old 02-14-2004, 10:49 PM   #2
4drmadness

P13 OBD1 yes 1992-1995 Honda Prelude VTEC (H22A)
P14 OBD1 no 1992-1995 Honda Prelude Si (H23A)
P5P OBD2 yes 1996-1999 Honda Prelude (H22A)Type SH / Type S(JDM)
(Yes/No=Vtec)

From H23vtec_Accord
@ www.importforum.com
i just done this swap, the engine has 1,500 miles on it right now, the H23 and Accord cranks are the same, the H22 is a forged crank which makes it stronger then the H23 and Accord, and the H23 block would be the wiser choice, the bores are the same and the H23 is sleaved, both of them are closed deck. i did my setup with the accord crank and rods, with the H23 block, and the H22 pistons and head, although you need to be carefull, if you can;t get whatever crank to spin after you tighten the main crank bolts down then you will need to get the whole thing line bored, and that sucks, but honda is pretty good, look at all the parts i used and mine runs good
Hope this may help or contact that guy for further info maybe..Good luck w/ it..
Old 02-15-2004, 12:34 AM   #3
Ezra

THanks but what i am really looking for is the wiring for the automatic ecu... I know that most people that go to an h22 use the obd1 p13 ecu and a standard transaxel... However, i like the feel of the quick shifting Si's trans and want to keep it so i need to know how the trans is wired to the ecu... The car is obd2 and has the wires for the vtec setup but it uses all four of the pigtails while the 98 p5m only has pins for 3 of the pigtails... I want to know what the extra pigtail on the p14 is for...I'll try to post a pic so you guys can see what im saying...

thanks
Ezra-
Old 02-15-2004, 10:51 PM   #4
Ezra

here is the pic of the weird P14 with all the pins...

anyone have any ideas... the helms diagrams for the 96 at http://icelord.net/honda/repair/ don't show this weird ecu setup just the 3 plug one....

Ezra-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg front-back-small.jpg (28.7 KB, 36 views)