::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2003, 05:39 PM   #1
NYCPrelude

Which One Produce More Gain?

Guys, what do you think should I do? The A'PEXi VAFC II or a good exhaust system for my car. I have a 1997 Honda Prelude Type SH. I did suspension mods and just few bolt ons upgrade. Right now the only thing that's missing from my engine upgrade is an exhaust. Well, I was gonna get the A'PEXi VAFC II and the exhaust but it turns out something came up and I could only be able to afford either one of them. Which one do you think that will give me more power gain? A good exhaust system or the VAFC II? I'm not planning to do anymore engine upgrade after this. This will be the last upgrade that I will do to my engine.

What are your guys input or opinion about this? I've been asking around too about this and some says the A'PEXi VAFC II will give me more gain for the money than an exhaust system but there are also some that says a good exhaust system will give me more gain than the VAFC II because of the OBD II thing.

Thanks for your opinion or input guys.
Old 09-22-2003, 11:32 PM   #2
nosaj81_2000

go with the VAFC II. that should give you more HP for the money like you wrote origanally
Old 09-22-2003, 11:58 PM   #3
NYCPrelude

But I heard that the VAFC II or VAFC doesn't work well with OBD II ECU though.
Old 09-23-2003, 06:39 PM   #4
AzCivic

the only thing a VAFC is good for is to change the A/F mix and to change the vtec activation point. neither of which you need to change on a car with minor boltons. more than likely it'll just screw something up.

so i say get an exhaust or better yet nitrous. or save your money for a turbo kit.
AzCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 12:07 AM   #5
NYCPrelude

Quote:
Originally posted by AzCivic
the only thing a VAFC is good for is to change the A/F mix and to change the vtec activation point. neither of which you need to change on a car with minor boltons. more than likely it'll just screw something up.

so i say get an exhaust or better yet nitrous. or save your money for a turbo kit.

Well, this will be the last engine upgrade I'm going to do. I'm not gonna go further than this. I was gonna get VAFC II and exhaust system but now I can only get one of them. I guess the exhaust system would be more beneficial for power gain than the VAFC II. Nitrous isn't something I want because I'm not going to 1/4 mile racing, I'm more into road racing, that's why.

Thanks for your input.
Old 10-01-2003, 09:31 PM   #6
Jaret10

what do you think of the venom 400 performance control module they say you can run it with the chip upgrade i was wonderin if there worth it
Old 10-01-2003, 09:36 PM   #7
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

i think the venom 400 is pretty good. i was looking into it for a while now. i can get you one pretty cheap if you want it let me know

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 07:16 PM   #8
Jaret10

how much will it cost and is it new with instructions or whatever that comes with it?
Old 10-02-2003, 08:29 PM   #9
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

exaust. the vafc only really helps AFTER you do alot of mods.

i havnt herd anything good about the venom... but i dont really know anyone who has installed it, they've gone with other products

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 08:50 PM   #10
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaret10
how much will it cost and is it new with instructions or whatever that comes with it?
i usually sell it for 350 shipped but i can do it for 320 shipped. it's brand new and it comes straight from venom.

Old 10-10-2003, 10:57 PM   #11
2ndGenTeg
4th Gear

An A/F piggyback only helps if you are actually running lean. Get an exhaust (NOT a Tanabe).
2ndGenTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 10:30 AM   #12
shmaptoe

get an exhaust- u should have as many bolt ons as possible before u start doing other motor stuff. check into the greddy evo- its got a nice sound and is straight through design
Old 11-03-2003, 09:11 PM   #13
CD5Passion

GReddy Evo or I hear that Thermal R&D makes great exhaust too, one person in particular that rants about it
Old 11-03-2003, 09:49 PM   #14
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

Quote:
Originally posted by Shardsofxapril
GReddy Evo or I hear that Thermal R&D makes great exhaust too, one person in particular that rants about it
i think there are like 6 or 7 around the board ranting about them.

Old 11-04-2003, 07:06 PM   #15
sohc_vtec 2NR

i'm one of 'em!!! but i suggest to not just get the Greddy EVO, but the new EVO2!!! the whole system is stainless steel...i'd definitely get that if my EVO rusts out..
Old 11-20-2003, 09:41 PM   #16
LaNRoVeR

You guys aren't reading what hes saying don't save your money to get a damn turbo if you don't have an exhaust thats stupid and pointlessunless you do both . I wouldn't go with the vafc 2 You need some more internals mods for something like that to really make that a beneficial mod man... I would go with the exhaust someth
Old 11-20-2003, 10:05 PM   #17
2ndGenTeg
4th Gear

Turbo is pointless without an exhaust? As in 90 HP instead of 100? Agreed- you won't get as much out of your turbo as you could with an exhaust as you would without one, but to say a turbo is pointless without an exhaust is simply not true.
2ndGenTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 11:46 AM   #18
Honda_Tengoku

Quote:
Originally posted by Shardsofxapril

I hate Thermal R&D Exhaust. I have one. It rubs on my 24MM Skunk2 anti-sway bar, sounds terrible, and after about a year the muffler has blown out all the sound dampening material. It is now very loud, and has lots of buzzy noises. Like a pissed off bumble Bee! Personally I would stay away from thermal. The only good side is that it does make as good as power as any other quality performance exhaust.
Old 12-12-2003, 11:52 AM   #19
Honda_Tengoku

Realize that an aftermarket exhaust only sees gains above 4,000 RPM, and even those gains are small: 3 to 7 HP at peak, and 1 to 2 FT pounds of torque at peak at the most. The VAFC is mainly used for fine tunning. Problem is that if u dont have availibilty to a dyno then its not really worth much. Your best bet is to send your ECU to Hondata and have it tuned. That would produce the most power for your options. Also u would gain all through the RPM band, as I am told the H22 ECU's are really well tuned compared to other Honda ECU's.

BTW VAFC does work on OBDII cars. One of my friends had it on his Prelude Type S.