User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2003, 09:06 PM   #41
ford50forlife
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally posted by G6660
Yeah but Mustangs are like assholes, everyone's got one...

A Mustang out-handle a Corrado?

Right...

... in Neverland perhaps.

A stock Corrado will hang with you in every turn even after you put all your money into aftermarket suspension and handling parts for your 'stang.

im simply appalled at the lack of knowledge in your head..... you near englishtown? they have an autox track there.

care to make a wager above 100 bucks to back up that claim? stock suspensioned corrado vs. my asshole mustang?

my info is listed in my profile, screename is daevolution on aim, hit me up

btw my car is equipped with a tubular k-frame, subframes, lower control arms, new sway bar + links, z-rates and drag radials that hug good, and ill swap my lakewood drag shocks for a nice pair of koni adjustables, up for a challenge asshole?

2640lbs with full tank minus me w/ 302cid
check out the crustang and 88 cherokee @
www.cardomain.com/id/ford50forlife

Last edited by ford50forlife : 04-29-2003 at 09:19 PM.
ford50forlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 09:18 PM   #42
ford50forlife
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally posted by vwg60kid
to be totally honest... yeah i like acceleration.. and yeah i love the g60 motor... (what can i say i am dilusional corrado fanatic.. i would rather own a rado over just about anything else some exotics included).. the reason for my upgrades or more alterations i should say is that the corrado has weak point just as any other car... two of them need attention on my car... supercharger blew a seal and detonated.. hence the turbo and if your gonna do it might as well do it right i always say... what the point in a half-assed job.... and my second gear synchros are totally shot (ultra common problem with dubs) and reverse gear is cracked... tranny needs to be out again... why not upgrade now instead of fix it again and then just wait for it to break again...

one thing that any corrado owner will tell you... you dont own a corrado and forget about it... you need to be devoted to taking care of it... because things will happen and happen often.... i guess it takes being a little crazy in the head to put up with it..

i guess its the same with stang owners too... its addicting...

(please exuse my aparent lack of ability to type english.. its been a long day and im exhausted)

here is a pretty sick rado for you to check out...
http://people.freenet.de/corradog60/gast_rauscher.htm

haha im a delusion mustang fan so its all good, and HELL YEA IM DEVOTED TO it, shit breaks every day! sux for the supercharger that ****ed everything up, but hey your tranny is just like the stangs, the t-5 is the weak point, i put a new input shaft housing on because my throwout bearing started to spin on it and cracked the reverse shifter rail in the process, the t-5's suck in general too, its barely working and i never powershift.... if i bang gears to hard i lose 1,3,5 and i have bang 2nd to get my gears back! (actually thats the mount but oh well).

its all cool though you seem like a pretty reasonable person... its just funny when people come on and make random statements to stir things up

i wouldnt mind owning a vr6 corrado or a new 1.8t jetta with a chip catback and filter (HELLOOOOO 13's ) ill have to drive one to experience it..

im satisfied with a stang though, i bought the rolling chassis of a drag car and threw a stock 302 in with boltons... its a decent little whip, handles mint, gets 20mpg city (2640lbs still full interior and options), gets 4 banger insurance, and is decently fast, only thing is i dont like the way it looks. i like the gt's much better but there dogs.

i saw this one veedub next to me at the staging lanes of englishtown on a import vs. domestic meeting, and it was an older gti those little hatches with the bugeyes kinda, with a vr6 swap and t-3 turbo i bullshitted with him for a bit when i saw some low 12 runs with slicks out of it, and he was all cocky saying its detuned and hes going for 11's on a stock block, so i just laughed and said whatever...

low and behold the next import vs. domestic meeting he was there, and not only did he hit his goal, he went 10.80's all day on i believe 15-18psi on stock block with boltons and turbo ... those vr-6's respond hella well to hairdryers let me tell you

Old 04-29-2003, 09:27 PM   #43
ford50forlife
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally posted by pdiggitydogg
just like all you damn mustang owners when you first come on the site...then you realize that we're not all rice.

really? i coulda sworn i came on this site to ask svt cobra for a race, then shortly after i did this thread about giving respect to the underdog

http://www.hstuners.com/forums/showt...hlight=del+sol

oh well... actually i got labeled from day 1 on this site, even the moderaters were prodding my intentions... i think its the other way around... they have to test us to find out were not all hicks

Last edited by ford50forlife : 04-29-2003 at 09:30 PM.
Old 04-30-2003, 07:05 AM   #44
Victor Longo

I'm a Corrado driver myself, although I might be getting a newer car which might be the Honda Prelude or Mitsubishi Galant ( I dig the front of the mitsubishi)

That put aside, I see Corradofan forgot to mention that Europe has a 2.9liter Corrado instead of the American 2.8liter.
It has 190hp and 181lbs/ft

Also the UK had 6 Corrados called Corrado Campaign with ugly red interior...

The rear spoiler can be changed to go up at different speeds... My old Corrado was german import and had the spoiler go up at 75mph which was cool on the highways (manual button was pressed many times)
Old 04-30-2003, 07:18 AM   #45
CorradoFan

Quote:
Originally posted by Victor Longo
I'm a Corrado driver myself, although I might be getting a newer car which might be the Honda Prelude or Mitsubishi Galant ( I dig the front of the mitsubishi)

Good luck with whatever car you choose. Corrados are getting borderline old, and as with any older rare-ish European car, the maintenance costs can be big. I've been buying/driving a number of different cars over the last few years in order to relegate my Corrado to a more or less permenant "project" status.

Quote:
That put aside, I see Corradofan forgot to mention that Europe has a 2.9liter Corrado instead of the American 2.8liter.
It has 190hp and 181lbs/ft

Also the UK had 6 Corrados called Corrado Campaign with ugly red interior...

I didn't want to get *too* complicated in my very first post here. (or so my excuse goes - in reality I'm just a forgetful bastard who was trying to write something quick off the top of my head, and thus left out some details.) It's great to bump into another knowledgeable Corrado person on the net though.
Old 04-30-2003, 07:36 AM   #46
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Quote:
Originally posted by G6660
Yeah but Mustangs are like assholes, everyone's got one...

Wow. I think you're the first one to come up with that one.

Anymore words of wisdom?
Old 04-30-2003, 12:17 PM   #47
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

A friend of mine just bought a Corrado after he totaled his yellow S/C VR6 GTI. Its a pretty sweet car. I have always like the Rados.

PD.. You got hella lucky dude!
Old 04-30-2003, 03:19 PM   #48
ShEaNy

wow the Vw boys ran in here like flies on shit for this one lol:o :o :o
ShEaNy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 03:40 PM   #49
guywithastang

We must take arms and defend the castle. LONG LIVE THE KING!

You say VTEC, I say V-8
guywithastang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 03:28 PM   #50
CorradoFan

Quote:
Originally posted by CorradoG60
you can buy honda's a dime a dozen not vw also you guys take so much pride in you slow ass cars and don't realize it's still a honda. if you ever wanna race bring on

Dude, take a chill pill. That's not a very positive attitude to have when we (Corrado people, that is) are guests on someone else's forums.
Old 05-01-2003, 03:37 PM   #51
CorradoFan

Quote:
215whp you not only run some shitty times but musta spent a helluva lot to get there considering you got ~160 crank hp..

Actually, +/- 200 WHP is about a grand away in a well-running g60. Just FYI, not trying to be argumentitive. :thumbup:
Old 05-01-2003, 03:38 PM   #52
AJ1978TA

Dude most VW's are in the same class as hondas............Pot calls kettle black and tells him to be more original................
Old 05-01-2003, 03:39 PM   #53
ford50forlife
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally posted by CorradoFan
Actually, +/- 200 WHP is about a grand away in a well-running g60. Just FYI, not trying to be argumentitive. :thumbup:

um exactly.. a grand lol... and even thats pushing it, you talking about a chip, pulley intake catback er sumthing?

lol a grand is a lot, my cars got about a grand in the motor (putting 500 into it since i only fix shit when it breaks) and im going for mid to low 12's

not trying to start shit but im interested to learn more about the g60's aftermarket and pricing.

Old 05-01-2003, 03:43 PM   #54
CorradoFan

Quote:
lol a grand is a lot, my cars got about a grand in the motor (putting 500 into it since i only fix shit when it breaks) and im going for mid to low 12's [/b]

And in the world of VW's, a grand is pennies for that much improvement. We're just coming from different backgrounds. Other than the 20 valve 1.8T, the g60 is probably the most flexible and tuneable watercooled motor that VW has ever made.

Specific modifications to get you there would be something along the lines of a chip, smaller charger pulley, cam upgrade, higher pressure FPR, and about $500 to spend on your choice of other stuff - head work, exhaust, different intercooler, etc.
Old 05-01-2003, 03:46 PM   #55
ford50forlife
4th Gear

Quote:
And in the world of VW's, a grand is pennies for that much improvement. We're just coming from different backgrounds. Other than the 20 valve 1.8T, the g60 is probably the most flexible and tuneable watercooled motor that VW has ever made.

Specific modifications to get you there would be something along the lines of a chip, smaller charger pulley, cam upgrade, higher pressure FPR, and about $500 to spend on your choice of other stuff - head work, exhaust, different intercooler, etc.

thats cool... i love the 1.8's chip intake and catback have netted some 13's off the rip... the g60 on the other hand ive never quite been impressed with the times they pull, and btw i thought chips for veedubs were expensive?

u telling me a cam, charger pully, chip, and fpr is <500

Old 05-01-2003, 03:49 PM   #56
CorradoFan

Quote:
Originally posted by ford50forlife
thats cool... i love the 1.8's chip intake and catback have netted some 13's off the rip... the g60 on the other hand ive never quite been impressed with the times they pull, and btw i thought chips for veedubs were expensive?

u telling me a cam, charger pully, chip, and fpr is <500

Yep. You can get a "stage IV" kit for a g60 motor for about $500, and that will include a chip, cam, fpr, pulley, and some other good stuff too. That'll put you at maybe 180 hp at the wheels, and the other $500 in stuff will get you near 200.

Considering that these cars dyno at about 135 hp to the wheels stock, IMHO 65 whp for a grand isn't too bad.

Tons of people are not impressed by the g60 motor, in a way it's too bad - very understandable though, there's *very* little information about them available, yet there's an incredibly fanatical almost underground following for them. They're potent in the right hands, but take some special knowledge and care that the average VW guy wouldn't have.

Edit - and the other big reason why people don't know a lot about g60's is that they've really only taken off in the last few years. 3 out of the 4 current most important g60 tuners didn't exist two years ago.
Old 05-01-2003, 03:53 PM   #57
CorradoFan

Quote:
btw i thought chips for veedubs were expensive?

Depends on what VW you're talking about. The best g60 chips out there can be had for $50.

Whereas if you're looking for a good 1.8T chip, you're probably going to spend a few hundred.

They do pretty different things though. The g60 chip is just controlling fuel and spark maps, whereas today's average 1.8t chip is also handling a lot of other management tasks, and working with a much more complicated management system. so the extra cost is justified.
Old 05-01-2003, 03:55 PM   #58
ford50forlife
4th Gear

Quote:
Yep. You can get a "stage IV" kit for a g60 motor for about $500, and that will include a chip, cam, fpr, pulley, and some other good stuff too. That'll put you at maybe 180 hp at the wheels, and the other $500 in stuff will get you near 200.

Considering that these cars dyno at about 135 hp to the wheels stock, IMHO 65 whp for a grand isn't too bad.

Tons of people are not impressed by the g60 motor, in a way it's too bad - very understandable though, there's *very* little information about them available, yet there's an incredibly fanatical almost underground following for them. They're potent in the right hands, but take some special knowledge and care that the average VW guy wouldn't have.

hey bro thanks for the info, its glad to see some people come on here not to troll and throw around extreme numbers, but to offer some useful insight... im always up to learn more about the opposition

and 65whp is pretty damn good

http://www.autotech.com/qchip.htm

yea autotech has some kits for it, i wonder if these come with the gaskets for the cam install though, and i really wouldnt leave a stock valvetrain with upgraded cam

Old 05-01-2003, 03:58 PM   #59
CorradoFan

Quote:
yea autotech has some kits for it, i wonder if these come with the gaskets for the cam install though, and i really wouldnt leave a stock valvetrain with upgraded cam

One last post before I log off.

Autotech's kits are extremely old skool in the g60 world, they're like so 20th century. Nothing against them though.

And the g60's valvetrain is way more than durable/light enough to handle the types of aftermarket cams that most people are going to put on them.

Once you get past the typical "mild" cams most people use on a g60 - the types of cams that would require valvetrain upgrades, you're gonna be into a cam with a fair amount of overlap. And overlap on a forced induction engine isn't a good thing, since you're just gonna blow all your boost out the exhaust and loose a lot of low end power for a small gain up top.

So you're basically limited to mild cams, unless you're doing some sort of crazy all out race motor.
Old 05-01-2003, 04:43 PM   #60
ford50forlife
4th Gear

Quote:
Depends on what VW you're talking about. The best g60 chips out there can be had for $50.

Whereas if you're looking for a good 1.8T chip, you're probably going to spend a few hundred.

They do pretty different things though. The g60 chip is just controlling fuel and spark maps, whereas today's average 1.8t chip is also handling a lot of other management tasks, and working with a much more complicated management system. so the extra cost is justified.

50 beans? thats hella cheap.

yea some company like abt er sumthing made a chip i was looking at for my boys stock 1.8t jetta and it was outrageous.

Old 05-01-2003, 08:44 PM   #61
ford50forlife
4th Gear

Quote:
One last post before I log off.

Autotech's kits are extremely old skool in the g60 world, they're like so 20th century. Nothing against them though.

And the g60's valvetrain is way more than durable/light enough to handle the types of aftermarket cams that most people are going to put on them.

Once you get past the typical "mild" cams most people use on a g60 - the types of cams that would require valvetrain upgrades, you're gonna be into a cam with a fair amount of overlap. And overlap on a forced induction engine isn't a good thing, since you're just gonna blow all your boost out the exhaust and loose a lot of low end power for a small gain up top.

So you're basically limited to mild cams, unless you're doing some sort of crazy all out race motor.

ah... thanks for enlightening an old n/a pushrod dinosaur like meself

Old 05-01-2003, 11:21 PM   #62
SaintVR6

here's some info about the Volkswagen Corrado (in a nutshell)

The Corrado was introduced in Europe back in '88 1/2 first in europe with only the 2.0L 16v (approx. 145 hp give or take +/-10 hp). It was assembled right next to it's older sibling the Scirocco for about a year in Germany. The USDM spec Corrado was brought in fresh from Germany in '90 with only the G60 motor. The G60 was a 1.8L supercharged motor. The supercharged four cylinder had many design flaws from the start. One of many was the materials used in the "G-lader" was plastic ball bearings the weakess rubberbands for belts and many other things and the traditional wiring problems that was common on all german imports. VW decided to used the Lancia designed 15degree 6 cylinder known as the VR6. It wasn't the only awkword motor that VW has ever put into it's cars. The quantum/passat back in the '80s had a VR5 with was only available with awd/"syncro".

The exterior differences when VW switched motors from the G60 to the VR6 was the slight buldge in the front part of the hood to properly house the VR6 motor. The grille was changed and the width of the front end of the car has been widen a few inches. the four lug wheels where switched to five lug. More infor to come when it hits me...
Old 05-02-2003, 06:59 AM   #63
CorradoFan

Quote:
Originally posted by SaintVR6

The Corrado was introduced in Europe back in '88 1/2 first in europe with only the 2.0L 16v (approx. 145 hp give or take +/-10 hp). It was assembled right next to it's older sibling the Scirocco for about a year in Germany. The USDM spec Corrado was brought in fresh from Germany in '90 with only the G60 motor. The G60 was a 1.8L supercharged motor. The supercharged four cylinder had many design flaws from the start. One of many was the materials used in the "G-lader" was plastic ball bearings the weakess rubberbands for belts and many other things and the traditional wiring problems that was common on all german imports. VW decided to used the Lancia designed 15degree 6 cylinder known as the VR6. It wasn't the only awkword motor that VW has ever put into it's cars. The quantum/passat back in the '80s had a VR5 with was only available with awd/"syncro".

The exterior differences when VW switched motors from the G60 to the VR6 was the slight buldge in the front part of the hood to properly house the VR6 motor. The grille was changed and the width of the front end of the car has been widen a few inches. the four lug wheels where switched to five lug. More infor to come when it hits me...

Hold on there partner. No component of the g60 engine has ever had plastic ball bearings. The g60 is a fragile supercharger, but has no "plastic" inside it anywhere. I don't know if you literally meant "plastic" or not, but I don't want anyone to be mislead.

The Corrado was first sold in Europe near the end of 88, but as an 89 model, not an 88.5. Also, the 16v engine it started with (in Europe) had 136 hp, not 145. In some European countries in 1990 and 1991, it only had 129 hp, due to having a catalytic converter.

Also, the vr6 was not a Lancia design. It was designed in-house by VW, borrowing some technology from various partners. The first prototypes were developed in the 80's, and were 2.4 litres with 24 valves. They were called "RV6" in their developmental stages. They ditched the 24v head because of overheating problems and replaced it with the 12v head, and upped the displacement to 2.8 litres (or 2.9 for Europe) to make up for the power lost in switching to 12 valves.

The name VR6 refers to the narrow-angle design - R stands for the german word "Reihenmotor," meaning "inline motor;" and V stands for "V." (duh!) Thus, the VR6 is a "V inline motor."

Also, the vr5 motor came *after* the vr6, not before. The 5 cylinder motor you're thinking of was an *inline* 5 cylinder 10 valve motor borrowed from Audi - that's the motor that was in the Quantum (Passat) Synchros in the 80's. The vr5 is only a few years old, and is only available in Europe, on the MkIV (Golf and Jetta) platform - it's a completely different beast from the inline 5 in the Quantums from the 80's. And that inline 5 motor was a design that Audi more or less built off of VW's own 8-valve 4 cylinder designs, just with an extra cylinder stuck on the end.

(Technical specs for the vr6 taken from VW's Service Training Self Study Program # 402, part number WSP52140200.)
Old 05-02-2003, 07:04 AM   #64
CorradoFan

Quote:
Originally posted by ford50forlife
ah... thanks for enlightening an old n/a pushrod dinosaur like meself

Anytime. I know very little about Amurrrican muscle, but I've got lots of friends who are in to it educating me on a daily basis. Every time I learn something about it though, I think "Maaan, that's waaay different than what I'm used to!"
Old 05-02-2003, 09:04 AM   #65
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

CorradoFan, thanks for sharing your knowledge. Its nice to have outsiders come in and share the info they know instead of flaming everything. For this we all truely appreciate people like you.

Hopefully you cruise these boards from time to time and not forget about us.
Old 05-02-2003, 09:13 AM   #66
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

ahh..."These pipes....ARE CLEAN!!"
(the thread has been cleaned of unwanted, immature crap)
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 12:22 PM   #67
SolPol

Yeah, if you want to spend the majority of the time in your garage, trying to figure out what's wrong with your car, then VW is the way to go.
Old 05-02-2003, 01:40 PM   #68
SaintVR6

Quote:

Damn I guess I was wrong with just about everything I said. oh well...
Old 05-02-2003, 01:41 PM   #69
CorradoFan

Quote:
Damn I guess I was wrong with just about everything I said. oh well...

lol, you were a lot closer to the mark than plenty of other people.
Old 05-05-2003, 12:23 PM   #70
pdiggitydogg

YAY guess what...there are a ton of corrados in town now...all owned by these punk ass kids that think theyre badasses (a total of 4 new ones (besides the one that I beat)). (yeah they're new to town...still have the paper plates in the windows)

They all cruise around together it seems and do nothing but taunt people...EVERYBODY. It doesnt matter what the other car is. I even saw one kid revving on a corvette z06...

OH, and since I beat the one kid...they all want to race me...daily. So far Ive been able to "give the appropriate gesture" and ignore their dumbasses...but one day I know I'll take the bait...and I probably wont win the next time...

When you corrado guys read this...if you know people from around Oakland County, Michigan (mostly Lake Orion) from your boards...tell them to grow up...
Old 05-05-2003, 12:32 PM   #71
SolPol

Good luck with that.
Old 05-05-2003, 12:46 PM   #72
pdiggitydogg

eh if they keep it up I'll just have to borrow the silverado (8.1L...this fawker hauls major ass (beaten several mustang gts)
or maybe just take out a loan for my b18c and turbo jk
Old 05-05-2003, 12:48 PM   #73
SolPol

I like the last option
Old 05-05-2003, 01:05 PM   #74
pdiggitydogg

lol nah...Im almost there...probably by the end of summer I will be able to order the c from hmo
Old 05-05-2003, 01:07 PM   #75
SolPol

That would rule.
Old 06-02-2003, 03:05 PM   #76
Netrisk032

yo man you got this shizat all wrong. the original image he posted was a scirroco 16v. and let me tell you you are lucky to win that one. my good friend has one with some mods and it can keep up older m3s. quick
Old 06-02-2003, 03:17 PM   #77
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Quote:
Originally posted by Netrisk032
yo man you got this shizat all wrong. the original image he posted was a scirroco 16v. and let me tell you you are lucky to win that one. my good friend has one with some mods and it can keep up older m3s. quick

He said it was the Corrado, not the Scirocco. Read all the posts. The first image was the only thing he could find.
Old 06-02-2003, 08:55 PM   #78
pdiggitydogg

no it was actually the first thing that I found that was remotely similar

but yes, it was a corrado
Old 06-02-2003, 09:59 PM   #79
nonovurbizniz

I haven't read the whole thread but....

my buddy had a corado with the g60 and he put on a pulley and computer (maybe injectors too) and it was REDICULOUS fast...

the vr6's are supposed to be faster out of the box from what I hear though...

his was really quick though it ran 8-12psi I think... I only saw him take off the opposite direction but he chirped 3rd at light throttle going straight... he had only gotten it like a week before (had been looking for one since the last time I saw him 5 years ago.) and got the pulleys and ecu (or chip) within a week... said it was NUTS... but he was also a HUGE vw freak and from my experience they ALL seem to overestimate their cars WAY more than honda owners.
Old 06-02-2003, 10:12 PM   #80
pdiggitydogg

Quote:
Originally posted by nonovurbizniz
and from my experience they ALL seem to overestimate their cars WAY more than honda owners.

I didnt think that was possible