Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Kill Stories
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2003, 10:32 PM   #1
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

I raced...something...VW

Im not gonna give much of a story other than the kid was being an ass and he didnt know how to drive well (must have just got his stick). The kid was revvin up to like 6K and kept talkin shit about how he wanted to run and rippin on my baby being "Japanese shit"...so I got sick of it and put the window down at the light and said "bring it kid"

it was some vw...it was a longer hatch, it was older and really boxy...not a golf...someone wanna help me out w/ what it was?

It was fast but since he couldnt drive, I past it and called it done @ 70mph...however he felt the need to pass me goin like 85 later down the road...why are kids so dumb?

alright, found what it was:

VW Scirocco

anyone got stats on this thing??
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 10:46 PM   #2
a96710

I think the 16V is around 130hp, not 100% sure on that though
a96710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 10:59 PM   #3
pdiggitydogg

well this car was definataly more than 130...
It was pretty clean and looked like he cared about it, so it mustve had internals
Old 04-13-2003, 11:14 PM   #4
Civic98

Re: I raced...something...VW

nice killl.....

Quote:
Originally posted by pdiggitydogg
why are kids so dumb?

[/b]

cuz they're kids.....
Old 04-14-2003, 07:18 AM   #5
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Look anything like this?
Old 04-14-2003, 09:14 AM   #6
pdiggitydogg

yeah, looked just like that
Old 04-14-2003, 09:19 AM   #7
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Quote:
Originally posted by pdiggitydogg
yeah, looked just like that

Yeah that's a Corrado. You were lucky to win that one.

178 HP
177 TQ

I figured it was a Corrado because the other one is less common and older.
Old 04-14-2003, 09:20 AM   #8
pdiggitydogg

gotcha...lucky the kid couldnt drive then...
I'll be sure to "just say no" the next time for sure
Old 04-14-2003, 10:01 AM   #9
a96710

The G60 Corrados were supercharged stock I believe
a96710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 10:09 AM   #10
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

Quote:
Originally posted by Addict
Yeah that's a Corrado. You were lucky to win that one.

178 HP
177 TQ

I figured it was a Corrado because the other one is less common and older.

europeam models are still called scirocco

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 10:10 AM   #11
pdiggitydogg

sc eh...hmm...sneaky kid. I asked him if it was turbo'd too...if they were sc thats why he got that sneaky grin on his face...

jerk and un true
Old 04-14-2003, 12:08 PM   #12
Loki

I think from 91-on they got the v6 that went into the gti vr6 and the jetta v6. The 1990 had the supercharger, I don't know if you could still get that engine after 1990. So he might not have been lying.
Old 04-14-2003, 01:42 PM   #13
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Figured I'd post that one too. They do have the VR6 in them....
Old 04-14-2003, 02:01 PM   #14
SilverCiv

Yea I guessed you raced a Corrado. They did come SC'ed some years. Those things are quick, you were lucky
Old 04-14-2003, 06:04 PM   #15
ford50forlife
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally posted by SilverCiv
Yea I guessed you raced a Corrado. They did come SC'ed some years. Those things are quick, you were lucky

the g60's were dogs, it was the stock 130 hp motor with a supercharger on it for a wopping 160hp, the vr6 would slay a g60 by all sense of the words.. they were about mid to high 15 second cars at best for the supercharged 4 putzer.

2640lbs with full tank minus me w/ 302cid
check out the crustang and 88 cherokee @
www.cardomain.com/id/ford50forlife
ford50forlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 12:27 PM   #16
Forum8

Man that corrado would've kicked your ass man. IMHO hondas don't even really match up to any degree when it comes to one of those german power machines. Also the G60 was 160 HP supercharged not 130. The ratios of hp torque and weight are almost flawless. Tons of power . Its a good thing that he didn't know how to drive yes, b/c you would've been one sorry man to have raced him... Have some fun telling that story though, b/c the next time you line up w/ one of them again w/ someone that knows how to drive it you might be thinking about getting one!!!!!
Old 04-29-2003, 12:29 PM   #17
CorradoFan

Someone pointed this thread out to me, I figured I'd reply, just to set a couple facts straight

The VW Corrado was available worldwide from 1989 until 1995, and in the US from 1990 until 1994.

In the US, it was available in two forms - G60 and SLC. The G60 was sold from 1990 until midway through 1992, and the SLC was sold from mid 1992 until 1994. The G60 Corrado was the only car VW ever sold in America with the supercharged G60 engine, and the SLC was VW's first VR6 car in America. Elsewhere in the world, the Corrado was available with VW's plain 16v (136hp) and 8v (115) engines, and there were even a couple pretty rare limited edition models - the Storm in the UK, and the Jet in Germany.

The G60 makes 158 hp and 166 lbft stock at the crank, and the SLC (vr6 engine) makes 178 hp and 173 lbft stock at the crank.

The g60 engine has a g-lader style supercharger on it, which is a pretty old design (dating from the 1800's!) that only recently has been technologically feasible. The engine is intercooled and produces about 10 lbs of boost, stock.

The g60 engine is very easy to modify, $500 in upgrades can bring you near 190 wheel hp - a G60 with typical mods will easily be faster than an SLC - the G60 is easier to tune and weighs less, too. Also, the g60 Corrados have shorter gearing, and slightly better suspensions.

Stock, they're both more or less 15 second cars, and both can be in the 14's without much effort at all. Breaking into the 13's requires a fair amount of work on either car, though.

Some people mentioned the Scirocco - that was, in a sense, the precursor to the Corrado. The Corrado was never sold badged as a Scirocco, though they were sold side by side in Europe for the Corrado's first few years. Both the Scirocco and the Scirocco II were built on VW's A1 platform, whereas the Corrado is built on VW's A2 platform. They're both fairly rare VW's, though there were many more 'roccos build than Corrados. The 'rocco came with either a 8v motor or a 16v motor, the 16v version making 136 hp.

Someone also mentioned the G60 engine being "a supercharged version of the 130hp engine" - that's not really true. The "130hp" engine is VW's early 16v engine, which has almost nothing in common with the g60 engine. The g60 engine has 8 valves, and is in some ways similar to the early counterflow 8v engines on A1 and A2 VW's. A lot more was done than just slapping a supercharger on:

-different pistons
-block has oil squirters to cool off the pistons
-the exhaust valves are sodium filled
-compression ratio is different
-head is cast using a different (stronger) process
-throttle body is different
-cam is different
-fuel injection system is completely different (uses VW's proprietary digifant-1 injection, most other counterflow 8v's use Bosch mechanical CIS injection)
-obviously has a 'charger and all associated equipment - intercooler, boost recirc system, etc etc etc.

I'm sorry to hear you ran into a Corrado owner with an attitude, most Corrado people are pretty cool, respectful people. Since it's a fairly rare VW, they're usually found only in the hands of enthusiasts. Unfortunately, as with any car, as they get older they're getting a lot cheaper to buy, and thus they're starting to pop up in younger, less knowledgeable hands.

If you run into a Corrado in the future and are wondering which one it is, look for the SLC (or vr6) or G60 badging on the grille and on the hatch lid. And watch the back end when the car hits 45 mph or dips down below 12 mph.
Old 04-29-2003, 12:39 PM   #18
KrazeeKorrado13

Im another Corrado owner...

I'll come the post-makers defense in saying he believes the Corrado would have won have the driver been able to handle it properly....

But for the rest of you, do your research before knocking the car.
Old 04-29-2003, 12:43 PM   #19
corrado1.8t

Quote:
Originally posted by ford50forlife
the g60's were dogs, it was the stock 130 hp motor with a supercharger on it for a wopping 160hp, the vr6 would slay a g60 by all sense of the words.. they were about mid to high 15 second cars at best for the supercharged 4 putzer.

whoa now. it would seem that you all are well versed on the corrado. just to set somthings straight.corrados came with a 158 bhp 1.8ltr supercharged 4 cyl from 1989 to late 91. then came the 2.8ltr VR6 in 92 to 95.

Obviously the kid you raced did not know how to drive. So consider yourself lucky to have won that one. Even a stock g60 can be very quick.

Now ford50forlife a g60 will out handle a vr6 anyday, specifcly becuase of the spring rates and front end weight, about 250 pounds less in the g60. believe me i have both cars and autoX them quite often. I assume you drive a modded 5.0 right? well i have taken many 5.0's in my 1.8ltr DOG. So be wary or you might get bite.
Old 04-29-2003, 12:43 PM   #20
SolPol

That wing comes up when you go below 12 too? Why?

I have a friend who has one of these. The cars are sick. One of the only VWs I would own. 'Rocco's are cool too.

You from vortex CorradoFan?
Old 04-29-2003, 12:45 PM   #21
CorradoFan

The wing goes up at 45, and down at 12.

I am on Vortex, not on an identical user name though.
Old 04-29-2003, 12:47 PM   #22
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Dang. Invasion of the Corrado owners. lol....
Old 04-29-2003, 12:48 PM   #23
CorradoFan

Yeah, we spend hours trolling other people's forums looking for a chance to talk about our beloved cars.

Actually, someone saw this post and posted about it in a Corrado forum, that's where we all came from.
Old 04-29-2003, 12:49 PM   #24
Forum8

Quote:
Originally posted by CorradoFan
The wing goes up at 45, and down at 12.

I am on Vortex, not on an identical user name though.

it goes up at 45 and down at 12 bc it can. of course now, all the honda guys are gonna want this for their monstrosities attached their trunk lid.

and, what is ur vortex username corradofan? i would love to meet you.
Old 04-29-2003, 12:50 PM   #25
CorradoFan

Oh cummon Greggy, isn't it obvious?
Old 04-29-2003, 12:54 PM   #26
SolPol

Down at 12, wierd.

SMI2710, from Vortex is a friend of mine though. Actually, he's sitting right behind me at work right now.
Old 04-29-2003, 12:58 PM   #27
CorradoFan

Quote:
Originally posted by SolPol
Down at 12, wierd.

SMI2710, from Vortex is a friend of mine though. Actually, he's sitting right behind me at work right now.

Yeah, the "up when you go above 45" part is understandable, but 12 seems like an odd number for it to go down at, huh?

I don't know SMI2710, but there are 92,000 registered users on Vortex, so I guess the chances are low that I *would* know someone unless they hung in my particular forums.
Old 04-29-2003, 01:02 PM   #28
CorradoFan

PS - I just found your buddy's name on there and noticed that he has a 1986 GTi 8v. The engine in that car is the one I was talking about when I said "the g60 engine has some things in common with the early 8v counterflow engines."
Old 04-29-2003, 01:04 PM   #29
SolPol

His is pimp too man. It's the Beetle platinum gray they have.
Old 04-29-2003, 01:06 PM   #30
CorradoFan

I love that color, tell him I said good choice.
Old 04-29-2003, 01:13 PM   #31
SolPol

Cool. Looks really good on the mk2s.
Old 04-29-2003, 06:12 PM   #32
ford50forlife
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally posted by corrado1.8t
whoa now. it would seem that you all are well versed on the corrado. just to set somthings straight.corrados came with a 158 bhp 1.8ltr supercharged 4 cyl from 1989 to late 91. then came the 2.8ltr VR6 in 92 to 95.

Obviously the kid you raced did not know how to drive. So consider yourself lucky to have won that one. Even a stock g60 can be very quick.

Now ford50forlife a g60 will out handle a vr6 anyday, specifcly becuase of the spring rates and front end weight, about 250 pounds less in the g60. believe me i have both cars and autoX them quite often. I assume you drive a modded 5.0 right? well i have taken many 5.0's in my 1.8ltr DOG. So be wary or you might get bite.

oh... sorry did i diss the little car you drive

too bad... i like my cars in the 14's stock... and the g60 doesnt impress me, the vr6 powered sibling does...

yes i do drive a mustang and i have outrun some paxton powered vr6's whats your point? any pile of shit can be made to go fast, mustangs, geos, tricycles and even the slow g60's<---- CAUSE STOCK THEY ARE SLOW i know a 1.3L suzuki swift that will do close to 120 trap speeds? does that change the earths rotation? nope...

you gonna bite me big man? how much did you throw in your car to get it to trap at 105mph huh? my total is 3K including car, thats on stock cam, stock unported heads, and restrictive tuning setup. id love to see a g60 do 105 traps with boltons... next month im shooting for mid 12's on stock heads and stock cam

all the mustangs you ran and beat means your a good driver if your car was stock.... most of the crustangs out there are ragged out with poor drivers. time has gotten to most, but to the enthusiasts out there, some have gotten into 13's with just catback and h-pipe...ESPECIALLY the 5.0's with the trunk's.. weighing in at under 3k curb weight stock is a hella advantage over the hatch variants..

proceed with your trolling, and remember to post some links about corrados now, lol, and if that fails fallback on the fact i drive a mustang.... that always works

Last edited by ford50forlife : 04-29-2003 at 06:36 PM.
Old 04-29-2003, 06:21 PM   #33
ford50forlife
4th Gear

Sorry you didnt like my post, but its funny how your the 4th group of carnuts to troll on one of my posts from out of nowhere. All because i dissed the forward capability of there car STOCK.... one was the probe gt's, one was the mazda mx-6's, one was the maxima drivers, now its the corrado nuts... guess what all your cars dont impress me and you aint gonna change it so dont bother responding cause your fighting a lost cause, if you think high 15's is fast then i guess your right then and dont need to argue.

next time ill remember to sugarcoat it

Old 04-29-2003, 07:10 PM   #34
vwg60kid

don't be hating on the G60... whether its slower than a 5.0 or not (it damn well better be its down 3.2L and 4 Cylinders)... not everyone wants a drag car...

(and yeah i am a g60 owner)

current project on the car is a t3/t4 hybrid turbo and x-flow head... and as soon as I get the cash together a quaife 6-speed close ratio tranny.)

here is an old photo of the car from maybe 1998 or so... only one i have hosted at the moment

1990 Black on black leather...

tons of mods... but currently sitting due to blown charger and lack of cash
Old 04-29-2003, 07:23 PM   #35
ford50forlife
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally posted by vwg60kid
don't be hating on the G60... whether its slower than a 5.0 or not (it damn well better be its down 3.2L and 4 Cylinders)... not everyone wants a drag car...

(and yeah i am a g60 owner)

current project on the car is a t3/t4 hybrid turbo and x-flow head... and as soon as I get the cash together a quaife 6-speed close ratio tranny.)

here is an old photo of the car from maybe 1998 or so... only one i have hosted at the moment

1990 Black on black leather...

tons of mods... but currently sitting due to blown charger and lack of cash

sorry to burst your bubble brother, but i dont have to like the car, if i dont like it i will say it. and i dont like the anemic performance the supercharged g60 has to offer.... if you dont like mustangs fine, i could care less, all i know is that if you want straightline go and or all around performance nothing beats a older mustang dollar for dollar (psst there is a aftermarket for suspension too ! i bet i could go toe to toe with your in the turns ) if you can get a g60 to dust a 5.0 i could care less, props.. but all i know is that im pretty sure of what im doing and itll be a little harder, hehe.

mass production and the span of 15+ years does wonderfull things to the variations of 1/4 times of these old beaters..

other than that i respect your building a decent ride, but when you say not everyone wants a drag car WHY THE HELL WOULD YOU PUT A TURBO ON IT WITH HEADWORK? obviously you like accelleration correct?

best of luck on the project as well bro, but i wouldnt pay for a g60 powered car ever, just my opinion i think they are overrated. id take any year 1.8 turbo over that powertrain. the supercharged 1.8 is too much money for too little gains..

Old 04-29-2003, 07:48 PM   #36
G6660

Yeah but Mustangs are like assholes, everyone's got one...

A Mustang out-handle a Corrado?

Right...

... in Neverland perhaps.

A stock Corrado will hang with you in every turn even after you put all your money into aftermarket suspension and handling parts for your 'stang.
Old 04-29-2003, 07:49 PM   #37
guywithastang

I own a few mustangs and a beetle turbo S . I drive the bug when I want to cruze and I drive the stang when I want to stomp on unsuspecting German cars

You say VTEC, I say V-8
guywithastang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 07:51 PM   #38
guywithastang

G6660 must know absolutely nothing

You say VTEC, I say V-8
guywithastang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 08:24 PM   #39
vwg60kid

Quote:
Originally posted by ford50forlife
sorry to burst your bubble brother, but i dont have to like the car, if i dont like it i will say it. and i dont like the anemic performance the supercharged g60 has to offer.... if you dont like mustangs fine, i could care less, all i know is that if you want straightline go and or all around performance nothing beats a older mustang dollar for dollar (psst there is a aftermarket for suspension too ! i bet i could go toe to toe with your in the turns ) if you can get a g60 to dust a 5.0 i could care less, props.. but all i know is that im pretty sure of what im doing and itll be a little harder, hehe.

mass production and the span of 15+ years does wonderfull things to the variations of 1/4 times of these old beaters..

other than that i respect your building a decent ride, but when you say not everyone wants a drag car WHY THE HELL WOULD YOU PUT A TURBO ON IT WITH HEADWORK? obviously you like accelleration correct?

best of luck on the project as well bro, but i wouldnt pay for a g60 powered car ever, just my opinion i think they are overrated. id take any year 1.8 turbo over that powertrain. the supercharged 1.8 is too much money for too little gains..

to be totally honest... yeah i like acceleration.. and yeah i love the g60 motor... (what can i say i am dilusional corrado fanatic.. i would rather own a rado over just about anything else some exotics included).. the reason for my upgrades or more alterations i should say is that the corrado has weak point just as any other car... two of them need attention on my car... supercharger blew a seal and detonated.. hence the turbo and if your gonna do it might as well do it right i always say... what the point in a half-assed job.... and my second gear synchros are totally shot (ultra common problem with dubs) and reverse gear is cracked... tranny needs to be out again... why not upgrade now instead of fix it again and then just wait for it to break again...

one thing that any corrado owner will tell you... you dont own a corrado and forget about it... you need to be devoted to taking care of it... because things will happen and happen often.... i guess it takes being a little crazy in the head to put up with it..

i guess its the same with stang owners too... its addicting...

(please exuse my aparent lack of ability to type english.. its been a long day and im exhausted)

here is a pretty sick rado for you to check out...
http://people.freenet.de/corradog60/gast_rauscher.htm
Old 04-29-2003, 08:58 PM   #40
pdiggitydogg

holy farkin shit...look at all the vw peeps
damn i started somthin with this one lol
glad to see that none of em are bein assholes (minus the burnt rice bit...tsk tsk tsk)
Of course none of em are probably gonna be avid posters (maybe here in the kill section (just like all you damn mustang owners when you first come on the site...then you realize that we're not all rice...we're enthusiasts too))
stick around fellas...youre more than welcome (as long as theres no honda bashin lol)