::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Hybrid
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2003, 10:57 PM   #1
Civicfrenzy

just doing some research

Im just trying to get an idea here. Iv read most of the posts in the hybrid section and think i have a few inteligent questions.

This summer im looking to swap engine/tranny. I can afford it by then. Heres my questions....

The car is a daily driver. It is automatic right now with the tranny i would go manual however what engine. I am almost positive i have no interest in going turbo due to money constraints and college costs coming up. Once i get the engine perhaps do a few things other things to it that would be needed to give me further boost.

So waht would you recomend. If you could tell me waht engine and why you recomend that engine.

Also estimated cost.

If you would recomend anything else after the engine is in. Thank you. If you think i missed something that i need to know let me know. Thanks alot.

96 civic coupe btw

-ryan
Old 01-28-2003, 11:00 PM   #2
TonitrusEN
4th Gear

the price i got for a B16A2 swap with auto-manual swap was as follows

Engine: 3,300 and all neccesary parts..
Parts to do tranny conversion: 500
Labor: 1,200

i would go with the B16A2 on your car, since anything else is gonna be to expensive.. and i think that is a stable platform to build off of..

My Baby

Unbelievable...

Quote:
Anonymous: Yea but a car has 4 heads, so it's headers!

Me: Or.. you could say that a car has one head...
TonitrusEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 10:17 PM   #3
96coupe

first of all, can you do the motor swap and manual conversion by yourself or will you pay a shop to do it?
how much are you looking to spend?
in my opinion the gsr motor is a good motor to start from. you can build it for n/a and it has more torque than the b16. when doing the swap it is never a bad idea to change the timing belt, clutch and flywheel. i have seen gsr swaps go anywhere from $2500-3300 or so, just depends if you get lucky and find someone selling it at a good price. i am not sure about labor costs but TonitrusEN was quoted at 1200 for labor.
Old 02-05-2003, 06:33 AM   #4
pissedoffsol

IMO, sell the car. its a 96- you an probably get 6k for it still.

buy a 92-95 hatch manual for 3 grand- have 3 grand to buy a gsr motor with and bolt it in.
not only will you be faster, it will be cheaper on you.

that's what i'd do anyway
Old 02-09-2003, 12:53 AM   #5
tooslow91crx

i agree. it's not going to be any less reliable than a newer car, since you're going to be replacing just about every moving part. the cars also generally get lighter weight as you go back in model years