Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2004, 03:09 PM   #1
GeneralDzur

Need advice for Del Sol - I'm new

Hey guys, I need some advice (I'm new)
Hey - I'm new on these forums, but I just recently (3 days ago) bought a Honda Del Sol Si (VTech) in the Pearl Green color w/ a manual tranny.

I like it, but even w/ the VTech, it still isn't fast enough. I've already put on a generic intake kit, (and altezza tailights), but I want to replace the ENTIRE exhaust system, from the Headers down. Can you guys recommend any exhaust kits/systems? I've heard that VTech engines need special headers because they use the backpressure to help the VTech system.

Any advice would really be appreciated.

- General Dzur
Old 02-09-2004, 04:57 PM   #2
4drmadness

DC Sports headers or exhausts
Greddy Headers or exhaust
Apexi exhaust or headers

the big thing is getting an exhaust that's no to big...a good 2 1/4-2 1/2 is the biggest I would go on a non-turbo application.
now if that doesn;t give you a nice increase through the RPM range then you could get a set of Cam shafts and Cam Gears then have it tuned and you will then feel a diff...

hope this helps some...
Old 02-09-2004, 08:59 PM   #3
thermal
Banning Machine

WELCOME!
save up and turbo....... BTW, it's not VTech. It's VTEC. Not flaming you. Just giving you a heads up cuz there will be people, not here tho, that will flame you by spelling VTEC like that . Goodluck. You'll get more feedback on the civic forum or turbo forum on questions like this.... peace!

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 09:31 PM   #4
GeneralDzur

Apologies for the Vtec spelling error...I knew it was spelled that way...I guess I just got stupid for a sec.

How much would it cost to put a turbo in her? Right now I've kind of maxed out my budget with a sound system, Altezza's, and an intake kit. But, the car is going to get garaged and I'll drive a beater.

- General Dzur
Old 02-10-2004, 01:29 PM   #5
blind34_1

just for your own reference, vtec stands for variable valve timing and lift electronically controlled. obviously vtec only includes valve timing electronically controlled. I'm not giving you crap about it, but I wish somebody would've told me when I was a newbie. anyway,

turbo kits you can buy for around 2-3k, or you can learn about everything, then put one together yourself from scrounged parts. Before you consider doing that though, I would suggest rebuilding your motor for boost. if you do have a b16a3 (which is I think the delsol vtec) then that is a fantastic motor to begin with, but if it has any number of miles on it at all, it would be a very good idea to replace and upgrade things first.

I am still learning all of the finer points of turbo systems and how they interact with the engine, but I do know its not something to just "throw on there".
blind34_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 01:51 PM   #6
sohc_vtec 2NR

i suggest u know ur priorities first... if you have a HP and/or 1/4 time in mind then ur on the right track. now would the basic I/H/E be enough to reach that goal? If so you then go right ahead, if not i'd think about goin' either NA + N20 or TURBO.. but before you go either route i'd suggest taking blind34_1's advice on replace and/or upgrade what you got right now (if its mileage is up there)

As you can see, setting up your priorities will save you money, time and effort, best of luck to your project...

oh, btw.. Welcome to HST