::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Hybrid
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2004, 03:52 PM   #1
bigbear

b16a2 opinion

Contemplating a 16a2 swap in a 4dr 5g civic EX, I was really lookin an 18c1, but $1100 more for an extra 10hp and tq lets be real. I have worked very hard to save up $2k cash, and I am wondering from people who have experience with this kinda thing is there really gonna be a noticeable improvement with a swap? Sure there is an obvious difference with an 18c5 but i don't have $5k. I understand it's a direct bolt in, are ECU plugs the same and everything? I mean, they come out of 5g del sols, which is like a civic front clip w/ no back seat.

I saw that one red coupe ex with the same swap done, was it a whole lot of trouble or did a mechanic do it? I have the help of my dad who's been workin on cars since the 50's, but wiring is a whole nother story unless anyone has any sites that specifically cover and document step by step 16a2 swaps aside from the hybrid honda site.

What do people in japan do about replacement engines? are they manufactured still?
Old 01-26-2004, 05:30 PM   #2
4drmadness

this page should help you with what motors will work in the 5th gen and some useful info:
http://hybrid2.honda-perf.org/tech/5gtech.html

this link here is just a general table that lists out swaps for particular car models:
http://www.dimmotorsports.com/engineswapguide.htm
hope this may help you with some info etc..
Old 01-26-2004, 07:04 PM   #3
bigbear

Awesome thanx. Whats the deal on these ECU wiring things. They all say "a few wires to check on" but what do they mean by check on? Trace the wires and connect them if needed?
Old 01-26-2004, 07:35 PM   #4
cashizslick

Dude - what i am going to say is from personal experience.

Dont order an engine swap online - its a total waste (thats what i did). They rape you for the worth of the motor.

Trust me - just search junkyards, salvage yards, bone yards or whatever you might call em for either a USDM (united states domestic market) B18B (140hp nonvtec) or a B18C (170hp VTEC) motor from a 1995 or newer Acura Integra.

Trust me, this is the smartest way to go.
Old 01-26-2004, 09:04 PM   #5
bigbear

An 18c meh, I'm not that interested in them. A lot more price for a motor that sacrifices reliability in R/S ratio in order to produce torque. I'd probably NEVER even hit the redline, yah know so it probably doesn't even matter but still, I'm much more interested in the 16a2. How does yours run? were you satisfied with it?

An 18a-b, they're even worse when it comes to the R/S. Plus it'd be a huge pain in the ass to run the VTEC conversion, I don't have that much time between work and school. Granted for the $1500 price tag I'll admit, tempting... tempting, but then comes the issue of motor mounts and ECU, lets make this easy.

I will take your suggestion to heart - especially since I can
A. ensure that the motor is in good shape
B. cut it and anything else - like cv axles
C. Hopefully get a good price on one

Depending on the price, I might actually be interested in an 18c.

This forumn is NUTS. So much stuff on mods and everything... this place is crazy.

HAHAHHA heres one for yah, I'm takin tig welding, i'll just pull the fenders and hood off both and weld the front clip from the Del Sol into my 4dr.... psyche.
Old 01-26-2004, 10:06 PM   #6
Kyle
elyK

Quote:
Originally posted by bigbear

HAHAHHA heres one for yah, I'm takin tig welding, i'll just pull the fenders and hood off both and weld the front clip from the Del Sol into my 4dr.... psyche.

I think that would look ugly...

EXPLORE THE TRUTH
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 12:17 PM   #7
Honda_Tengoku

the worse r/s ratio really doesnt make any difference in a mild street engine when considering the B18C1 as far as reliability, and longetivity. U would have no problems what so ever with any of these problems in the B18C1. The extra displacement, and torque that the B18C1 offers over the B16a2 is well worth any disadvantages it could possibly have in a street car.
Go B18C1.
thats my opinion.
Old 01-27-2004, 12:54 PM   #8
bigbear

Yeah I know the differences are minimal, either way it's still an engine and it's probably going to be fast. I'm just, well, a perfectionist.

I was under the impression d16z6's were vtec? I was informed that vtec didn't come around till 94? true?
Old 01-27-2004, 04:23 PM   #9
cashizslick

Well, the D16Z6 is a vtec motor, although it doesnt live up to the reputation of the "big brother" DOHC vtec motors.

BTW, i am happy with my motor, and i think that the B16A is a great motor to work with and you shouldnt be discoraged from getting one - it has a lot of potential.

If you do take my suggestion and go junkyard hunting, then you will probably come across way more B18C's than B16's because the B18C was made in much larger quantities than the B16 was in the states. But - its a better motor anyways.
Old 01-30-2004, 12:38 AM   #10
bigbear

YEAY!! As soon as my taxes come in I'll have enough for my new motor. I'm still contemplating beating my old clutch into the ground saving up for a performance clutch and various stuff for the new motor before I drop it in. I really don't want to pull that ***** out, **** with it, then put it back in again.
Old 01-30-2004, 12:39 AM   #11
bigbear

What do people in japan do about replacement engines? are they manufactured still?
Old 01-30-2004, 12:50 AM   #12
AzCivic

they get newer cars.
AzCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 02:21 PM   #13
bigbear

Well guys, I've got enough for the engine now, and here's a few questions:

Do I need 94-97 Del Sol CV Axles?

Will my shift linkage bolt up?

Can D series headers fit on a B? [the fuckface before me had the headers welded to the cat cause he couldn't get them on]

What is this about the VTEC and Knock sensor wires? I'm still a bit confused on that one.