::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Hybrid
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2004, 02:29 PM   #1
4door5g

v-tec swap

i have a 93 civic Lx with the 1.5 non v-tec. whats my best bet (and cheapest) way of makeing it a v-tec can i just swap heads or ?????
sorry im a noob
thanks for any help
Old 01-17-2004, 11:44 PM   #2
AkimboStylee

probably do a head swap.
Old 01-18-2004, 01:16 AM   #3
blind34_1

okay, motor in question is a d15b7.

first of all, if you're a newbie, then heavy engine work isn't a good place to start. second, if your looking to make power, you need to dump that 1.5L D-series. vtec is not some magical black hole for horsepower (and by the way vtec does not have a dash between v and t).

Heads that MIGHT be compatible with that motor would be one from any 92-95 Civic VX with a d15z1 VTEC-E motor, or maybe the d16z6 motor from 92-95 Civic Si, Ex, or Del Sol Si. Again I emphasis the MIGHT, because I'm not sure on any of this. Do your research (Google is wonderful)

Please somebody correct me if im wrong.
blind34_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 02:23 PM   #4
4door5g

i can do the work i just dont know what the codes and what not are. im new to the honda sceen. not the work. i have did 2 motor swaps on my j-bodys and did 2 trannys in other cars so i dont see the head swap being much worse(not trying to be a dick)
Old 01-19-2004, 03:37 PM   #5
Honda_Tengoku

Re: v-tec swap

Quote:
Originally posted by 4door5g
i have a 93 civic Lx with the 1.5 non v-tec. whats my best bet (and cheapest) way of makeing it a v-tec can i just swap heads or ?????
sorry im a noob
thanks for any help

personally I would go for an engine swap. If u plan to go with the D plan for a turbo or some other type of forced induction cuz that is the only real way to make power on those.
Old 01-20-2004, 02:40 PM   #6
blind34_1

i dont think your being a dick, I just didnt know where you were in terms of engine knowledge.

Another point I forgot to mention is you're going to also have to wire up the vtec, which is something I do not know about. You'll need some sort of controller for engagement and disengagement. This might be possibly with just a different ecu and some hack job wiring, or you may want to go with a standalone controller. It all depends on what you want.

I would highly suggest just swapping in a new motor altogether. vtec isn't the end all of performance, either, so don't rule out b18a1. A ZC motor is not a suggested swap for that year, mostly because the rule is to not put an older motor in a newer car (mostly for emissions).

b16 motors are great peformers and a pretty easy swap; everybody and their mother has a variant of this swap. its a vtec motor, also.
blind34_1 is offline   Reply With Quote