::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2002, 01:28 AM   #1
heartbreakkid

tinted windows for civic

can anyone gives me any clue to tint my window on my civic neatly? i tried to tint it twice but each time it came out really sux. I just cant seem to cut it straight.
Old 02-25-2002, 01:59 AM   #2
BrandonClaps

get it done perfesionally. ;]

You need to use water with some soap in it so you can posistion it correctly. You need to use some lights on the opposite side so you can see where to cut, and if your ass is still grampad make a little jig on the knife so it rides on the top of the window and cuts perfect.... i'm tellin ya
Old 02-25-2002, 10:18 AM   #3
4jacks

I just did mine, I was expectin it to look like crap, but it came out rather nice. I did the Eybrow first. It was rather frustrating at first , but the way you have to do it is,
Fill a spray bottle with water, put just a dab of soap in the bottle and shake the hell outa it ,

Cut a peice of tint larger than the window, use the factory edge for the bottom of the eyebrow,

Clean interior an exterior glass, REALLY GOOD

Spray the exterior glass really good
Spray the peice of tint
Tint goes on exterior window , with the side you peel off UP
In the Center of the Window get the tint where you want it, the edges will stick farther down!
Smooth it out as best you can then cut it JUST TO FIT THE WINDOW, not exact yet,
Once it's fitting the window, it's easier to move around and stay's put better
Keep spraying the tint
Lift it up and spray too
now use your rubber scrapper, and start in the middle only going up and down, Press real hard to , get all the bubbles out (air bubble and the harder to see water bubbles)
Now you have to measure out the sides, the center should be however far down you put it , the sides will be further down, but measure them to make sure that they are even
RESPRAY OFTEN
You will notice when your using the rubber scrapper that most of the air bubbles will come out, but these little upside down V shapes will keep popping out the edges. Dont worry about them , you just keep scraping over them and they go away, wait till you get to the inside to worry about them

Once it's centered and you got all the bubbles out get your razor out and cut the edges, CUT SO IT FITS OVER ALL THE BLACK BUBBLES, the insructions say's it may not stick well to the black dot stuff, but cut it to just barely fit over the SOLID BLACK , dont just cut it at the black dot's ... I made that mistake , you dont notice it from the outside, but it shows from the inside,

Once you got it cut perfectly , SPRAY THE INSIDE GLASS

YES you will make a BIG mess
But it will be OK

Get two peices of scotch tape to help you peel off the film, On on the inside , one on the outside. Peel the film off, with the tint still on the window.

Peel of the tint , and spray the tint

Once you transfer this inside, spray the tint again ,

Position it where it goes, It should slide easy , if not spray it again

use the rubber scraper like crazy up and down only .... When you get those little V shapes of air aroung the edges, just scrape over them hard and slow ! then put some pressure at the edge, you'll see them not coming back !

make sure to get all the air bubbles and water bubbles out ! look from the outside is a better way to tell !

The easiest windows to tint are the little ones by the back seats (if you have a Coupe) Start with those !

The one I really had trouble with are the roll up windows, my edges look like azz, I'm going re-do them in the summer.

But I did my eyebrow and my back windows in 5% limo and my passenger and driver side in 35% And it turned out looking really good , I was expecting it to look like crap ! I did not do my back window I'm going to have it professionally done, cuase of the antenna and the defrosters, plus you need a seam on the rear window.

I have pictures i'll see if i can post them for you

but DONT pay some one to do the easy windows, once you play with it and get the hang of it, you'll spend $24 on what someone would charge you $250 to do !

Happy Honda'ing
4jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 10:24 AM   #4
BrandonClaps

don't forget to get some GOOD tint, i don't believe the stuff at pepboys and autozone is GOOD. There are companys out there that have tint kits that are precut and u just apply them.
Also i know on some curved glass and sometimes at the bottom of your side windows u may see bulbs or you can't get it to stay down, use a heat gun and press it out at the same time. heh i've watched many cars get done perfessionaly, tey use a torch, but u don't wanna risk burning your fabric or paint