::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2002, 09:25 AM   #1
MacRulzMan

1990 Civic DX - Worth it?

I have a bone stock,*bottom-of-the-line 1990 Civic DX hatchback that I am considering for a project car. It needs body work on the front (probaby nees new front fender) and it needs new CV joints. It has 144,000 miles, and I just would like to know if it's worth the trouble to fix it up then mod it. I would want to do interior too, as it's just plain ugly, and the thing doesn't even have a tach.
Old 03-17-2002, 02:51 PM   #2
Kyle
elyK

i personally don't like any civics before 92...but it's up to you...your car...your choice

have fun!

EXPLORE THE TRUTH
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2002, 09:40 PM   #3
VDubRacer757

It is worth it

I think it is well worth hooking up. YOu can get a j-spec B16 for around $1200, which will bolt right in. It pushes 160 horses and will run around a 14.0 quarter mile stock.
Old 03-18-2002, 09:55 PM   #4
MacRulzMan

Sounds like a sweet deal, then. Does that price include a tranny, or will the 4-speed in it work? I would think, though, that the almost doubling of the HP would kill the poor tranny in it now :(

I'm assuming that items like CAI's, headers, exhaust, etc are readily available for a civic of this year?

Any suggestions for the interior? It is skank ugly now, vinyl seats, no console, etc.
Old 03-18-2002, 09:59 PM   #5
VDubRacer757

Not sure if the price includes trans or not, but usually motors come with trans and ecu. Once you put the B16 in you can get intake headers and any motor bolt-ons for that motor, not the car. That motor is the same and the 99 si motors. and far as the interior, you can go with racing seats. Tenzo make some good looking seats if you want to pay the price. Close to $800 for a pair. I would get rid of the back seat and recarpet the whole car and you can always get the interior redone how ever you liek it at almost any car aplostry shop...
Old 03-20-2002, 03:53 PM   #6
90civic

project car

Adam, ive got a 90 civic that I am slowly working on, I think the outcome will be pretty tight. If you have the money and are willing to pump it into your car to make it look nice, I'd say go for it. send me a pic of the car and I'll see if I can give you any helpful information.

Steve
Old 03-22-2002, 12:04 AM   #7
Saint212

No car is better thatn any other it all depends on your budget. But since it is a civic there are endless possibilities, all of which depend on budget and preferance. As far as interior goes. I picked up a brand new black carpet from Auto Custom Carpets for my 93 for around 140 bucks, and it was a breeze to install. If you want to replace some of your interior with brand new 1990 parts check out www.hondaautomotiveparts.com They are a huge company that I have ordered most of my factory pieces from.
Old 03-22-2002, 05:53 AM   #8
Boston Mangler

One thing to keep in mind is motor mods on this!

I have a 91 DX Hatch and just put a CAI kit on it and the after the computer adjusted to it, it would idle pretty erratic once the car warmed up! I just took it off and after a few hours driving, the computer reset and all is back to normal.

Moral of the story: I think the EFI in the DX's is different than the other ones (for gas mileage purposes) and it does not react well to mods! My HP definitely increased and was better on the highway but my idle went all wacky!

Look into this a bit more. I know i read somewhere that the early DX's computers dont take well to mods!

Check it out

my .02

p.s. I love my 91 Hatch. Gets 38mpg
Old 03-22-2002, 07:57 AM   #9
MacRulzMan

Thanks guys! I plan on dropping a B18A in it (as a performance book I have recommended against using a C) and doing various mods.

As far as interior, I would rather do something radical rather than go for just a new stock look.
Old 03-22-2002, 09:39 AM   #10
JaY D. Em

Sounds like a good choice. A b18a chould make the car move a bit. I don't think the b16a can get you into the low 14's stock. I've seen a 90 civic dx hit a 14.7 w/ an LS motor - i/h/e. I've seen the b16a's hit 14.6's with i/h/e. These are definitely respectable times on street tires. As i've seen some kids in mustangs running around that time. Now a b18c in that car will put down fast times stocks. 13 seconds, i don't know... The car is a good starting point.