.:HSTuners::

::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2002, 06:02 PM   #1
Boston Mangler

First Mods To My New 91 Civic????? Few Questions Too!

ok

i am about to be given (almost) a

91 Civic Hatchback.

I dont really know much about it except that it has a 4 spd and No tach and the guy claims it gets like 35mpgs's

My questions are these.

Any idea which model had a 4spd with no tach?

Also, are there any year/models that have Direct Bolt/Plug in dashes with a tach? if so, what?

Also, the first thing i am going to mod is the handling. What do yall recommend? I dont think this one has sway bars (real cheapo model). Is there a year and model that will have sway bars that bolt right in? There are a good amount of Junk yards around here with these and if i know what to look for i will have a field day!

Do strut tower braces actually work? Are they worth it?

This is my first import car and i am into modifying Jeeps and have a very built one that i did all myself. I am sure that i will be bitten by the Import bug and will be doing many mods soon.

Any advice is well appreciated.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Old 02-26-2002, 07:48 PM   #2
90civiclxryder

i believe the Dx model has no tach and a 4 spd
you can just get a monster tach by Auto Meter
i think strut bars are worth the money
Old 02-26-2002, 07:51 PM   #3
Boston Mangler

Quote:
Originally posted by 90civiclxryder
i believe the Dx model has no tach and a 4 spd
you can just get a monster tach by Auto Meter
i think strut bars are worth the money

Thanks man but i like the factory look. I know its not the "Norm" but i am far from normal! LOL

Also, did you really notice i difference with the strut braces huh??

Thanks
Old 02-26-2002, 08:40 PM   #4
Onyx
1st Gear

check out the "Wheels, Tires and Suspension" forum there is a thread in there on strut braces which may help you. I have them front and back and I beleave the help if you car is lowered. if any thing thay look good
Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2002, 09:42 PM   #5
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Springs & struts first. The braces will benefit your more after you get the "core" components done.

http://www.hondastyle.com/forums/sho...&threadid=2524

WHEELS, TIRES, & SUSPENSION FORUM....
Old 02-26-2002, 09:50 PM   #6
Whtehnda93DXSdn
It has 4 Doors...

Welcome to HS...Glad to have another Civic Owner aboard.

I do believe that is the DX trim model and as for a direct bolt in cluster I would say if no one knows on here ask te junkyard when you call and see if they have those yrs for the car w/ a tach..
If nothing else you could get a smaller aftermarket tach and mount it in a non-evident spot but could be noticed and usd by you the driver.

for suspension get shocks/struts lowering springs/coilovers if you can find them for that yr. a set of rims to help your handling, not to mention te strut tower braces. they will strenghten the sheet metal and hold the car solid in corners for better handling. Front and rear can be a noticable diff.

hoep that might might help you a little more....
Old 03-20-2002, 06:07 PM   #7
90civic

mods

I own a 90 and 91 civic hb, both with no tachs (sucks).

I'm sure it was the DX and standard model hatchbacks that came wth no tachs.

Go to your local honda dealer and ask about the gauge pods for the si model (they gave me a print out) ask if it will fit in your dx or standard model, im pretty sure it will. It will cost you an arm and a leg for the pod but it will look tight.

You should drop your car and do they sway bars around the same time. I will probably go with some tokico or kyb shocks, skunk 2 coil overs and camber kit, and mabye some DC sport strut bars.

I get around 28 - 31 mpg with some race-like driving, so I'm pretty sure your seller is right.

Have fun fixin' her up, but don't spend money on worthless parts.

Write back if you need help on getting parts, or need anymore helpful info.
Old 03-20-2002, 06:20 PM   #8
Boston Mangler

thanks man

i acutually just got swapping in a Gauge Pod from a 91 CRX, its a direct bolt in and now i have a tach and it is factory, looks slick and was easy

any ideas on what swaybars to go for?

thanks
Old 03-21-2002, 11:57 PM   #9
Saint212

The thing with civics is that they are a little different from othe fwd cars as far as effectiveness of strut bars and sway bars. In the front go with something that has solid construction not a flimsy piece of soda can. Just get the best for your budget. As far as something like a rear sway bar any old sway bar just won't work. Some may acctually give you more overstear. I have tried a couple and nuespeeds rear set work hands down the best. But it is a little pricey. Just shop smart ask questions and get the best your budget allows you