::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2003, 01:18 AM   #1
dreg1320lab

ls vtec

what would be best to be used on a ls vtec set up b18 or a b20 long block and can some one give me more information on a lsd tranny?
Old 02-14-2003, 09:27 AM   #2
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

well.. a ls vtec is the b18 block a cr-vtec is the b20. thres pro's and cons to each setup.

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 04:44 PM   #3
96coupe

i'd personally rather go w/ the b18 for ls/vtec with the type r lsd tranny.
what do you want to know about lsd?
basically, if one wheel starts to slip power will be taken from that wheel and given to the other wheel which has traction.
Old 02-15-2003, 04:56 PM   #4
dreg1320lab

what does the lsd tranny come off of and how good is it?
Old 02-15-2003, 06:38 PM   #5
96coupe

the lsd tranny is off of a type r, the tranny has shorter gears similar to the b16, best b-series tranny out there
Old 02-15-2003, 06:59 PM   #6
SthPerformance

Ls/vtec & Crv/Vtec are both a waste of money "i think"... to build a Ls/vtec or Crv/Vtec it will cost about 5000.00 dollars to do it the correct way... And to only be at roughly 180-23o wheelhorsepower after dropping 5000 into the car is just a major dissapointment... I say do Ls/Turbo... you will thank yourself more then enough in the long run....
Old 02-16-2003, 12:25 AM   #7
cashizslick

Ls Vtec is a bad idea, you would be better off getting a regular B18C1. Ls Vtec is an unreliable setup, because when the Vtec head is mated to the Non-Vtec block, the R:S of the engine is significantly lowered.
Old 02-16-2003, 12:47 AM   #8
96coupe

Quote:
Originally posted by cashizslick
Ls Vtec is a bad idea, you would be better off getting a regular B18C1. Ls Vtec is an unreliable setup, because when the Vtec head is mated to the Non-Vtec block, the R:S of the engine is significantly lowered.

If a ls/vtec or crv/vtec is built right it can be pretty reliable but it all depends on the quality of the parts you use, the measures taken in the buildup, and the competence of the builder. If you just slap a VTEC head on a B20 bottom end, don't be surprised if the engine does not last. In order to have a reliable B20 VTEC, there are a few things that need to be done:
1. Upgrade pistons and rods. Stronger and lighter units are needed to withstand higher RPMs. Also, the pistons need larger valve cutouts to accommodate 33mm VTEC intake valves (non-VTEC intake valves are 31mm).

2. Add oil squirters. These are present on VTEC engines but not non-VTEC engines. They help cool pistons and improve cylinder lubrication. These are important when it comes to improving engine longevity at high revs.

3. Upgrade to a GSR oil pump. Because you now have oil squirters, the VTEC mechanism, and better cam oiling, you need to be able to feed it. Upgrade your pump, as non-VTEC pumps are not up to the job.

4. Resleeve the block to withstand the higher rpm's or boost that the b20 block is not used to.

As for rod ratio, consider that the B18C5 really does not have a great rod ratio. Like the GSR, it is only 1.58:1. A stock LS or B20 bottom end has a rod ratio that is 1.54:1. This can be improved to 1.58:1 by using a B18C crank. This destrokes the engine by about 50cc. But you will still have over 1900cc displacement - quite a bit more than a B18C5. A B17A crank will give you a 1.74:1 rod ratio. This would be very reliable and GREAT for turbo use. But it will lower displacement to only 1.8 liters. A B16A crank will give you an even better 1.85:1 rod ratio but will lower displacement to 1.7 liters. For allmotor use, I would stick with either the stock B20 crank or go with a B18C crank. If the engine is built competently with good quality internals and the required upgrades, there is no reason why it shouldn't be reliable. B16 and B17 cranks destroke the engine to the point that alot of the advantages of going B20 are negated. I would use one of these combinations for forced induction only. Not that they couldn't be used allmotor. There would just be little point.
Old 02-16-2003, 03:37 AM   #9
92vx

Quote:
Originally posted by cashizslick
Stop reading shit then posting it.The ls/vtec is as reliable as any motor,with the right build.
Old 02-16-2003, 06:27 AM   #10
pissedoffsol

Quote:
Originally posted by 96coupe
2. Add oil squirters. These are present on VTEC engines but not non-VTEC engines. They help cool pistons and improve cylinder lubrication. These are important when it comes to improving engine longevity at high revs.

As for rod ratio, consider that the B18C5 really does not have a great rod ratio. Like the GSR, it is only 1.58:1. A stock LS or B20 bottom end has a rod ratio that is 1.54:1. This can be improved to 1.58:1 by using a B18C crank. This destrokes the engine by about 50cc. But you will still have over 1900cc displacement - quite a bit more than a B18C5.

I agree with everything but these 2 points.
oil squirters are in the vtec head, not the block. by doing a vtec head, you have the squiters.

rod/stroke ratio is a bunch of talked about bullshit. there's chevy v8's with 1.2:1 r/s ratios revving to 9000 all the time under race conditions. ever hear of nascar?

thats the whole point to using the ls crank/bottom end- the stroke. throw the gsr or b17 crank on it- and well, you might as well have done a straight b17a or b18c, cuz you just lost all the displacement.

as for comparing an ls/vtec to a b18c specR, there is no comparison. the R motor owns an ls/vtec is all aspects.
Old 02-16-2003, 04:05 PM   #11
dreg1320lab

what will be good for a all motor setup?
Old 02-16-2003, 09:51 PM   #12
20civic01

LS/VTEC is a good all motor setup.
Old 02-17-2003, 03:57 PM   #13
96coupe

Quote:
Originally posted by pissedoffsol

as for comparing an ls/vtec to a b18c specR, there is no comparison. the R motor owns an ls/vtec is all aspects.

i know, i would rather get a type r, but i was just using it as a comparison b/c people get so anal about r/s ratio.

if i was going for an all motor setup, any b18 block(b18b, b18c, b18c-r, ls/vtec) are great for all motor setups, its all about how you build them though