::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Integra
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2001, 11:55 AM   #1
3000gtvr4spd

how much money to go ls vtec

im asking around to see what is the best price i can get for a ls vtec conversion i already have the bottem end i just want to know how much you think it will cost for the installitaion and the haed thats it can any one tell me.
Old 12-20-2001, 12:37 AM   #2
2ndGenTeg
4th Gear

I'm assuming the bottom end you already have is the one currently in your car. A little piece of advice- if and when you decide to build an LS/VTEC, build a whole new motor from scratch. Keep the engine you have as a "back-up" of sorts- so when the engine eventually goes (and it will- it's an LS/VTEC), you'll have your old engine waiting to go in.

LS/VTEC and CR-VTEC are bad ideas (read the article in the articles section of Honda Style, or in the all motor forum), and they're expensive. Ask any engine builder who has built multiple LS/VTECs, and you'll always get the same answer: While they work they're quicker than a B18C, just don't expect them to work consistently. You can get one for about $3500 installed, but if you want one that will go longer than 10,000 miles, expect to spend more than $5K. If you want one that will be fast, expect to spend more than $8K. Even then be ready for long battles with oil leaks, head gaskets, and check engine lights.

The alternative? Just get a B18C with .25mm overbore. It will last longer, pull just as hard, and will be cheaper in the end. There are plenty of well built B18Cs topping 200 whp. Just make sure you have someone who knows what they're doing build and tune the engine (www.importbuilders.com- shameless plug).
2ndGenTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2001, 12:26 PM   #3
3000gtvr4spd

i got deal at this place called over rev they said that theyll do the ls vtec for me for $1000 wityha l new parts and they said there going to change the stuff out for me they said theell put new head gasketts and everything they get all the stuff form the honda dealer and he said that he had proof that they built there ls vtecs good they never had any one come back to themyet saying they had a problem but he said you will have a little probellms sometimes but not as big as people say they do so what do you guys thin is it too good to be true
Old 12-21-2001, 03:28 AM   #4
2ndGenTeg
4th Gear

You can't build an LS/VTEC for $1000 with used parts, much less new. If that's what they're offering you, sign me up for three- I'll use the parts to build other engines. Like I said- you can find one for as little as $3200, using a stock 18A/B block and B16A head, all stock, including the internals. Guaranteed it will never see 10K miles. I can't imagine what they're offering you for $1,000.

You didn't read the article, did you? Anyways, I have experience with multiple LS/VTECs and multiple CR-VTECs. They'll never work as well as a stock B18C. It's a fact. When they work, they rip, no doubt about it. But which would you rather have? A car that runs a 13.5 and runs perfectly, or one that runs a 13.2 and has to be watched like a hawk and you're constantly fighting with to keep it running?

I think you've already made up your mind, and nothing I can say will change it. So go ahead and build yourself an LS/VTEC- I look forward to telling you "I told you so."
Old 12-24-2001, 03:28 AM   #5
2ndGenTeg
4th Gear

{This post was in response to a post made by quartz. The original post by quartz has been removed by the forum moderator for containing content deemed inappropriate.}

Do I know you?

No, no- definitely not. If I did, I definitely would have remembered someone with your mouth.

I'm not going to even bother replying to your post, really- it's so laden with strawman attacks, misquotes, and blatant lies that it's not worth my time to first break it down to what it really is, and then rebut it properly.

Quote:
You are pissed off that your GS-R cost (so much) money, and people are building engines for half the price of yours, and kicking your ass...

LOL!!! Proof you have no idea what is going on. I don't have a GS-R, or even a B18C, for that matter. You seem to know me so incredibly well, but you have no idea what is going on. Educate yourself before you speak.

You are yet another example of the masses that have been brainwashed by the media. Do yourself a favor: think for yourself. Educate yourself on what makes power and what makes it reliably. Draw your own conclusions. Don't just recite something you read in Super Street a couple months ago. You might actually learn something.

This board will not tolerate disrespect or the flaming of other members. The statement you posted was blatantly both. I suggest you watch your mouth.

Last edited by 2ndGenTeg : 12-25-2001 at 05:52 AM.
Old 12-25-2001, 02:41 AM   #6
quartz

I would love for you to tell me how it is, and I really am disappointed that you took my post off, you could have just took the flaming parts out and left it, because it really was educating others that a lot of what you say really doesn’t make sense. You can continue to try and prove your intellect by using big words, but really most people can see right through that. There obviously arent enough educated people here to begin to debate with you. I posted that to see what your reply was, I would like to see how you defend your allegations.