.:HSTuners::

::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Accord
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2002, 12:47 AM   #1
xunkn0vvnx

Automatic to Manual Conversion, Engine swap or Turbo ??

I currently have a 1994 Accord 4 door EX Model with 90,000 miles on it and is currently an automatic transmission. I am planning on either purchasing a bolt on Turbo kit, engine swap to a H22, or both of them combined. But I want my automatic to be converted to manual, how much is this going to cost and what effects will it have ?? Can anyone give their opinions on my car if the miles are too high and to get a new engine or that a turbo will be fine ??
Old 01-30-2002, 01:00 AM   #2
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Welcome to HS! You have the same year and mileage Accord that I do. Now on to your question:

90k is a lot of miles on an engine. I strongly believe that you should not turbo this engine. The H22A swap would be a good choice for you if you want more power in a reliable manner. You didn't mention how much you are willing to spend. The manual swap for the F22 just isn't worth the money, unless maybe you could do all the labor yourself.

If you are dying to go the turbo route, do yourself a favor and swap in an H23. The H23 has a favorable compression ratio to go turbo. You can definately turbo an H22, but if you are going to run considerable boost, you will have to lower your compression ratio.

In all honesty, if you are only willing to spend around $3-5k, I'd just swap in the H22A. You'll get an engine with less miles than you have, and approximately 55 more hp to the crank. A DOHC engine is also more tunable than your F22.

If you have any more questions, just ask. There are lots of very knowledgable people on this board.

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 01:44 AM   #3
accordboy00

I too have thought about converting to manual.
What does that cost?
is it worth the money?
Old 01-30-2002, 02:12 AM   #4
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by accordboy00
I too have thought about converting to manual.
What does that cost?
is it worth the money?

It is not worth the cost unless you could do all the labor yourself. An engine swap is your best bet. Read above.

Old 01-30-2002, 07:20 AM   #5
Smitty90acc

Yes, the H22a is definetly the cheaper of the two options. Remember that a decent turbo kit's price is driven up my smaller items, like a boost controller, wastegate, turbo timer, all the associated piping, and numerous other smaller bits, not to mention the turbo itself, intercooler, and custom exhaust manifold. Also, unless you want to run 4-5 psi, you should invest in some low compression pistons and rods.

A quick note about the transmission: the auto --> manual swap is worth it if you can get a good install price. However, if you go turbo on your current engine and invest enough to make a decent amount of power, your auto tranny will be ripped to shreds in a matter of months.

One final thing... Most JDM H22's dyno around 160 wheel hp, so you're looking at an increase of 40-45 hp. It's still completely worth it though... I'm getting one in a month!
Old 01-30-2002, 11:03 AM   #6
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

iof not done corectlly the auto to manual swap will destroy the car. what you may wanna do is get an auto tranny from a lude and you will see some differences in how the car accelerates because the accord transmission is geared more for gas saving and a smoother ride.

As for the swap goes get an h22 wich will make 190-200 hp at the crank, then turbo it. that will make insane power. also you gotta keep in mind that you will have to change the suspension on the front at least because the h22 is heavier then the f22 and will mess the weight distribution ratio, and the ride will handle like crap.

Your f22 with this mileage will be able to withstand to about 8-9psi of boost without any problems. just to make sure have a cylinder compression check before.

In any case before going turbo you need to change some of the fuel parts like injectors and rail, fuel pressure regualtor to avoit starvation of the injectors, and you don't wanna run lean when the turbo kicks in.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2002, 12:34 AM   #7
xunkn0vvnx

WoW... im shocked... everyones so helpful.... but the question is still... how much for the auto to manual conversion ??
Old 01-31-2002, 12:41 AM   #8
xunkn0vvnx

Ok ive been hearing that it'll cost $600-$700 for the manual tranny but the installation would be a *****... now only that... but what about the gauge cluster etc. and parts within the interior.... would i need to do any conversions ??

Also how much of a horsepower gain is usual in a F22 turbo'd with an FMAXX kit with everything ??
Old 01-31-2002, 09:45 AM   #9
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

Quote:
Originally posted by xunkn0vvnx
Ok ive been hearing that it'll cost $600-$700 for the manual tranny but the installation would be a *****... now only that... but what about the gauge cluster etc. and parts within the interior.... would i need to do any conversions ??

Also how much of a horsepower gain is usual in a F22 turbo'd with an FMAXX kit with everything ??

it really depends on how much you boost. theoretically for every 14.7 psi that you boost it should double the power of the engine, but there are losses in the system so you will notice only a 70-80% increase in power which is enough. im not sure but you can go only 8-9 psi of boost on your stock f22 without requireing a major rebuild.

i forgot what year the car was, but as for the tranny don't do it. don't swap it. sell the car and get a manual one. it makes no sense to pay twice for a standard thing, once you paid to get an auto and now the cost of the swap. If u decide to swap it anyway you will need a new ECU if the check engine light in the dash board is lit and D4 flashing will bother you. Also you will need a new cluster. Lots of headaches man, not worth it.

Old 01-31-2002, 03:36 PM   #10
xunkn0vvnx

WEll take a look at my car...

http://importfever.calliejo.com/images/jon4.jpg

now tell me that i should sell it after ive already put soo much time and money into it... Its pointless to sell it and get a new car... With a manual conversion and turbo, plus interior and new rims... id be done

Any other solutions ??
Old 01-31-2002, 03:39 PM   #11
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
WEll take a look at my car...

http://importfever.calliejo.com/images/jon4.jpg

now tell me that i should sell it after ive already put soo much time and money into it... Its pointless to sell it and get a new car... With a manual conversion and turbo, plus interior and new rims... id be done

Any other solutions ??

Your car looks great, I've always loved that color.

Now for your question: Don't turbo the F22 and swap for a manual. You have a great thing going there, so just swap the H23+turbo, or H22. You need a better engine to work with, and a lude engine will get you on your way. The manual conversion just isn't worth it.

Old 01-31-2002, 03:43 PM   #12
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

i tought that your car is close to stock. i had no idea you put so much money into it. it looks really nice. with a complete swap you can get a manual tranny, and ecu so that will solve your problem. the only thing left is get another cluster. That sounds like the best idea. Get a h22a with a manual tranny, and you might need to buy the shifter calle and a shifter, and the new cluster. this sounds like the best way out of it to me. I told you about www.jdm1.com will send you a complete swap for $2300 plus the installation another 1500 and you are way cheaper than swapping tranny then the engine. The only other problem is to get it to a good shop, that won't **** up ur car. Actually the swap can be done in a garage if u have an engine hoist.

Here is a link. since 4th gens and 5th gen accord share the same chassis i doubt that will be anything different.

[SWAP INFO]

Old 01-31-2002, 07:14 PM   #13
xunkn0vvnx

I want turbo and i want manual either way... the most i can dish out is $5000... i still dont know what to do... i got the funds but nothing to do with it
Old 01-31-2002, 07:24 PM   #14
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

You might be able to get an H23 + turbo for that price. Shop around.

Old 01-31-2002, 11:38 PM   #15
xunkn0vvnx

Can you refer any shops or websites where I could shop around ??

And on what honda car do they make the H23 ??
Old 01-31-2002, 11:42 PM   #16
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:

And on what honda car do they make the H23 ??

The Prelude Si. I'll look around to see what I can find, but I have a lot of school work to do.

The H23 has 160 hp and a good compression to run a turbo setup on.

Old 01-31-2002, 11:45 PM   #17
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Hmm... sohfast.com doesn't have the h23, but here's something you might be interested in. A little spendy, but low miles:

98 Prelude VTEC changeover $ 3,800.00 (Can$ 6,059.10)

Includes:
Engine, intake manifold w/ fuel rail and injectors, throttle body, throttle cable, exhaust manifold and downpipe, transmission, clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, ECU, distributor, starter, alternator, axles, intermediate shaft mounts, engine wiring harness, radiator hoses, all related sensors.

Mileage / Year / Availability:
19,000 / 98 / in stock

ACC0000

Old 02-01-2002, 02:08 PM   #18
Smitty90acc

All of these internet sites that sell swaps are horrifically overpriced... If you deal directly with a large importing house, you can get very good deals. There is a shop near me that sells complete 92-96 JDM H22 manual swaps for $2700 CDN (about $1700 US). OBDII engines are about $4000 CDN, I believe, maybe a little bit less now.

Just thought I'd let you know...
Old 02-01-2002, 02:37 PM   #19
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Does anyone know any large importing houses in the US? It would be interesting. Who knows what I'll be able to do after working this summer?

Old 02-01-2002, 05:09 PM   #20
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

Quote:
Originally posted by 94_AcCoRd_EX
Does anyone know any large importing houses in the US? It would be interesting. Who knows what I'll be able to do after working this summer?

I know www.jdm1.com sells a coplete swap for 2300 including mounts, tranny ecu wiring intake, you know all the stuuf, all u need to do is drop the engine in

Old 02-01-2002, 05:19 PM   #21
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by hondaman-iac

I know www.jdm1.com sells a coplete swap for 2300 including mounts, tranny ecu wiring intake, you know all the stuuf, all u need to do is drop the engine in

Ok thanks. I remember you posted that before, but I forgot about it :o

Old 02-01-2002, 08:18 PM   #22
xunkn0vvnx

Hey wahts that shop's name next to your place ?? Maybe I can give them a call or check out their website
Old 02-02-2002, 01:53 AM   #23
Smitty90acc

They don't have a website... I'm in Montreal, where are you?
Old 02-02-2002, 02:32 AM   #24
xunkn0vvnx

Long Beach California
Old 02-02-2002, 10:23 AM   #25
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

Quote:
Originally posted by 94_AcCoRd_EX

Ok thanks. I remember you posted that before, but I forgot about it :o

that's why there are favorites

Old 02-02-2002, 12:21 PM   #26