::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Accord
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2002, 02:32 AM   #1
accordboy00

4-speed manual?

I know, i know. If I wanted a manual, I should have bought one....but I didn't. The manual says that manually shifting between 1, 2, D3, and D4 you can drive your vehicle much like a manual without a clutch. I've done this on many occasions and I like the way that the car feels when I have control of the gears. Is this dangerous to the engine or tranny in any way? My automatic transmission will redline 1st-3rd gear by itself anyway.
Besides for having an extra gear, is a manual still better than driving my accord like a 4-speed manual?
Also, since I've never driven a manual, I have no idea what "double clutching" is. I've heard people mention it, but I don't know what it does for a manual transmission vehicle.
Old 01-26-2002, 10:17 AM   #2
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

double clutching is mostly for old cars and trucks and the fgast and furious ricers. it allows you to match the tranny speed with the engine rpms, that's all. well if u drive during rush hour a manual is a pain in the rear. This is one of the reasons i got an auto.

Manual shifting is not that great on the tranny especially if you go backwards like D4 D3 2. It will wear the tranny more. For some reason on my car when i try to leave in 1 i gotta pray for the thing to move.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2002, 03:41 PM   #3
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

Shifting like you say isnt good for the car..
You'll powder your transimission in no time..

Especially if you do it regularly..

When you'Re in a race or something, its somewhat ok.. But dont make it a habbit.
HondaStyle.com Babysitter's Club Member #0

Soon to be >Dr Max Immuh<
Accord Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2002, 03:36 AM   #4
accordboy00

What differrence is there when I manually downshift from 4th to 2nd manually, then when the auot tranny does it fro me? There's always a short pause before the tranny downshifts. Doing it manually eliminates the pause. How are the two different? How does manually shifting hurt my ride? I'm confused
Old 01-31-2002, 09:30 AM   #5
diligent_dave

The 'pause' when the tranny downshifts is the automatic transmission matching the input and output speeds, much like double clutching or rev matching. When you you downshift it manually it skips that phase and puts it directly in gear. I bet that you notice that when the tranny downshifts itself it is a smoother transition than when you do it manually.
Old 01-31-2002, 12:19 PM   #6
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

well said d_dave!
HondaStyle.com Babysitter's Club Member #0

Soon to be >Dr Max Immuh<
Accord Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2002, 02:50 PM   #7
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Like everyone said, don't make a habit of it and you'll be ok. Its not like doing it a few times will screw your tranny.

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2002, 03:43 AM   #8
azn_nite_ryder

one word.. DONT!!!!..... yea it'll be fine for the few couple of times but eventually it'll kill the tranny.... and you know how much honda parts are.... crazy $$$ so dont bother.. you can use the money elsewhere....
as for double clutching... thats gay... stoopid fast and furious has all these dumb things in peoples minds now... but if you really want to get a really good kick.. its kinda the same thing as double clutching.. but its really called power shifting... basically you keep your foot on the gas matching the RPM while pressing on the clutch to shift... i dunno... hard to explain.. i could show you but i doubt that'l happen....