::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Accord
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2002, 11:00 AM   #1
SilverCoupe2K1

Where do I start???

I recently bought a 2001 Accord Coupe and haven't really done any big modifications...mostly small cosmetics. Since I've had it though, I've noticed that it could use a little more low-end power.

(Couldn't we all?!)

My dilemma is that I don't really want to race the car, so I don't want to go all out. It's more about just lookin' sweet, feelin' sweet. The way I see it, you can either want your car to

a) Look Good
b) Go Fast

or a combination of the two...as long as it's not

d) look fast!

With that being said, I was basically planning on getting bigger rims, tints and doing some interior work. To get that additional power, would I be best off getting a cold-air intake, or should I be looking at something bigger...headers...or something else?
Old 01-13-2002, 11:22 AM   #2
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

for more power you can look into a cold air intake (AEM), headers (DC Sports), exhaust (Tanabe Medalion). What trim level is it ? Also a big performance upgrade will be the Energy Suspension kit (Front bushings), lower the car with a nice suspension setup.

WELCOME TO HS. enjoy your stay

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 01:22 PM   #3
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Well, if you're just going for basic mods, you will need to get I/H/E together to really feel the benefits.

The AEM CAI is a great place to start. After that, DC makes good headers (*do you have an I4 or V6?), and exhaust is really up to you. There are so many out there and they all sound slightly different, you're going to have to choose yourself.

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 04:49 PM   #4
slowEJ6

intake is a nice mod......if you dont really want much from the car in the way of power i suggest just getting a new muffler, not entire catback. and as for low end, get some iridium spark plugs and plug wires
also, an AEM intake wouldnt hurt.
header/catback will usually be more for top end than low end......so i dont suggest them since quite often they lessen your low end.

which is why i said just an aftermarket muffler like from Ractive or APEXi or something. whatever you like.
slowEJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 08:04 PM   #5
SilverCoupe2K1

I probably should have mentioned a couple of things I've already done...

I got better NGK plugs put on, put in a K&N filter, a short shifter
and a custom exhaust. I have the 4 cyl. EX (since only the 4 comes in manual) but the exhaust is done so that I've got mufflers on both sides, like the 6 cyl.

I felt more high end power with the exhaust upgrade, but I feel like low end power's what I'm missing. Since it is a fairly new car, not doing anything to void the warranty is also a consideration.

My main concern with the air intake is that my car is a 4 season car, and there's a lot of snow and slush where I live. A friend of mine had a Cold Air Intake put on, drove through a puddle, and lets just say the result was not too good. I know you can buy a "water shield" with the AEM intake, but is this 100% effective?

Just thought I'd put this additional info out there, sorry for not including it in my original post.
Old 01-13-2002, 08:13 PM   #6
slowEJ6

that dual exhaust probably ripped your low end a new a$$hole
what size piping do you have from the Y and then to each muffler?
slowEJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 09:11 PM   #7
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by hybrid3do0rcx
that dual exhaust probably ripped your low end a new a$$hole
what size piping do you have from the Y and then to each muffler?

Yeah, unless done right, you lose your backpressure. I dunno... w/o voiding warranty, you can't go FI, so maybe some pulleys, headers, and check that exhaust.

Old 01-14-2002, 09:19 AM   #8
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

ECU upgrade..

Whichever, full-ecu or piggy-back.
HondaStyle.com Babysitter's Club Member #0

Soon to be >Dr Max Immuh<
Accord Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2002, 11:58 AM   #9
SilverCoupe2K1

To be completely honest with you, I'm not sure exactly what the sizes are. I checked the parts list, and it's not specified. I'm goin in for an oil change in a couple of weeks, I'll measure then.

Do you think I'm losing low-end because the piping is too big?

Would putting in a resonator kill some high end and gimme back a lil low end?
Old 01-20-2002, 01:41 PM   #10
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

just curious.. do you have a high flow cat?

Old 01-20-2002, 07:06 PM   #11
SilverCoupe2K1

Yeah...Accord Man, I do?

Why do you ask?

Seen me around?
Old 01-21-2002, 05:16 PM   #12
urbanlegend21

i know I am going to catch a lot of flak for my opinion but here it is:
the first and best thing you can do is learn about the car. you know: how does an i4 engine operate? how does VTEC operate? what is a certain modification going to do for the car and why? then move on to actually modding
4 cylinders lack low end power no matter what, it is going to be even more sluggish with big ass 18" wheels on it unless you convert back to a single piping muffler design
try the basics first I/H/E, then advance your timing two degrees and run 89 octane fuel. see what that does for you. always remember several things about imports, especially Honda's

1: wings serve no purpose unless on a true race car with a proportioned front splitter to control its effects
2: the bigger the rim the longer and harder the accelleration
3: the more stuff you add to the car the more weight it has, make sure your mods versus their weight benefits where you want to go with the car (show or go)
4: there is a thin line between what is a show car and a go car and the two usually don't mix well after a point
5: Honda Motor Corporation did not build their cars for drag racing or else they would have been torquey RWD beasts, these are road course cars at the best
Old 01-23-2002, 05:39 PM   #13
phorcedaccess

Actually with a few slight mods you can blow american muscle cars off the road. Who says a racing car has to be rear wheel powerd. Pulling instead of pushing is an age old debate. Personally my accrod blows away mustangs, bmw's, and pretty much anything till you get into the high end of those models.
Old 01-23-2002, 07:52 PM   #14
SilverCoupe2K1

Thanks for the input urban...

I think you're absolutely right, the first and most important thing to do is learn about the car, what you like/dislike about it, and where you want to go with it.

I've decided that I'm not trying to turn it into a drag racer. The whole reason I bought this car was because it was more luxurious and practical than my old car (Prelude). At the same time, a little more low-end power would be much appreciated.

I'm hoping to strike a balance between a car that I love to look at and a car that I love to drive, at an affordable price. (I know, it's not easy!)

I agree, honda's are ideally meant to run lean, and do so efficiently, but they aren't MEANT to blow you away. Now, PhorcedAccess is right, you CAN beat "real race cars" in a honda, but it'll probably take more work than it would with a mustang.

With that given, I guess your suggestion is to look into headers, an intake and limit any mods I do that add weight, without contributing to the cause of helping my low-end.

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback.
Old 01-23-2002, 08:01 PM   #15
phorcedaccess

Go for intake first. Honda has really chocked up the accords. I have the 2k2 v6 and when I dropped a new intake in the thing came to life. I was so amazed to look at what they put into the thing to restrict airflow. I have a whole box of plastic crap sitting in my garage now.

Old 01-23-2002, 08:28 PM   #16
tightteg52

Quote:
Originally posted by phorcedaccess
Actually with a few slight mods you can blow american muscle cars off the road. Who says a racing car has to be rear wheel powerd. Pulling instead of pushing is an age old debate. Personally my accrod blows away mustangs, bmw's, and pretty much anything till you get into the high end of those models.

Ok im gonna be very polite about this the low end of the "muscle cars are like the low end of impor t cars cheap restrictive and normally decent on gas. Look at it for a second a low end civic vs a lowend mustang now out of the box equal drivers they are almost even due to weight but look at it this way in one you have a 1.5-1.6 liter engine the other is a 3.8ish liter engine now whcich do you think is gonna respond well to mods?? the mustang will respond better due to its larger engine cause in all honesty there is no replacment for displacment only temporary equalizers. For example you take a 98 integra ls vs a 98 camaro v6 now out of the box you have 140hp vs 160ho but due to the wieght the differences they are almost even cars.but put i/h/e on the teg and its beating the stock camaro now put h/e/air filter they are almost even again. now you take the header off the teg and boost it to aroun 10psi and thus a replacment for displacment

ooops no the same camaro goes and gets chiped new gears more aggresive cams and thus the replacment is made temp then the teg has to dig into the engine deeper while the camaro is still just getting unleashed. so it instead of it being rwd vs fwd you have two contrasting styles over all vs each other the fwd vs rwd is just part of a larger picture. But the thing is our import low end cars are bilt for the same purpose as the domestic low end cars to support the real cars of the line up what i mean by that is the civic and integras are there to support the type r's and nsx's,s2000's while the v6 stangs supprt the cobra and the v6 maros support the z28s and ss's.

WHEW that was alot of typing the point of that im unsure i guess to help educate those that are ignorant to the contrasting styles that are domestic vs import or now that domestic companys are into the "import scene" it should now be called the sport compact scene so i guess its now sport compacts vs muscle cars!! its all about personal preference.
Old 01-23-2002, 08:36 PM   #17
tightteg52

Ok my suggestion is first HEADER not plural its a pet peeve of mine. look into different brands i heard that dc is the best intake get AEM if your worried about hydro floding get the bypass valve you might wanna look into fuel pressure regulator. also a drop will be good for both performance and looks and if you dont already have rims and are looking dont go larger then 17" rims although 16 is better for performance 17 better for looks. not sure what else to tell ya!
Old 01-25-2002, 07:06 PM   #18
TruHeel142

Quote:
Originally posted by tightteg52
Ok my suggestion is first HEADER not plural its a pet peeve of mine. look into different brands i heard that dc is the best intake get AEM if your worried about hydro floding get the bypass valve you might wanna look into fuel pressure regulator. also a drop will be good for both performance and looks and if you dont already have rims and are looking dont go larger then 17" rims although 16 is better for performance 17 better for looks. not sure what else to tell ya!

Well, I'm about to purchase my DC sports 4-2-1 HEADERS
Old 01-25-2002, 07:11 PM   #19
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by phorcedaccess

So what all do you have done to your accord to blow away pretty much anything? What does it run in the 1/4 mile?

Just curious

BTW TT52, nice post

Old 01-25-2002, 08:39 PM   #20
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

Quote:
Originally posted by SilverCoupe2K1
Yeah...Accord Man, I do?

Why do you ask?

Seen me around?

Nope.. you live in MTL??

Anyways a highflow cat is quiet had to spot... Unless I actually get under the car!

Old 01-28-2002, 08:15 PM   #21
SilverCoupe2K1

Yep, Actually I am in Montreal...

TightTeg: I was thinkin about rims too...I guess 18" is outta the question!

Other than AEM and DC...any suggestions on the intake?

I've heard AEM is the best on the Accords...anyone else know about this?
Old 01-28-2002, 10:26 PM   #22
phorcedaccess

I have AEM intake on my v6 and it gave it one hell of a boost. Makes it growl also... hehe....
Old 01-28-2002, 11:56 PM   #23
AzN Retribution

I just got my car tonight.. the engine is soooo quiet..
Hmm a exhaust and intake will fix that I hope
Old 01-29-2002, 12:10 AM   #24
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by AzN Retribution
I just got my car tonight.. the engine is soooo quiet..
Hmm a exhaust and intake will fix that I hope

It sure will

Old 02-04-2002, 04:25 AM   #25
phorcedaccess

AZN Get the greddy evo exhaust... a little pricey but man it sounds good... nice and deep throated ... not like a pissed off lawnmower sound like tegs and civics....
Are you in arizona?
Im in Phoenix btw...