::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Accord
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2004, 09:32 AM   #1
gomopar440

84 Accord project

Yea, I'm the new guy here. I have worked on lots of bikes and muscle cars but not to many imports so I'm gonna try to make this Accord a learning tool. Bear with me as I learn alot of stuff you guys probably know by heart.

The Car: 84 Accord 1.8ltr CVCC(cali) eng. 5spd 4dr sedan. P/S (not working), P/B, P/L, P/W, A/C (not working), Cruise (not working). Only mod to the car is the exhaust has been replaced (old one was rusted off) from the flexjoint to the tailpipe. It's a full 2"pipe, no cat, and a Thrush Turbo muffler (full 2" through the core)

The Goal: Make it go like mad and handle like it's on rails

#1 Hurdle: Emissions crap (I 'm not worried about federal regs cause I live in Puerto Rico) I received the car in a poor state of tune. The worst problems are high idle and stalling at stops. I am assuming a possible vaccuum leak as the most likely culprit but amount of vaccuum lines is crazy! Does anyone here know how to minimize these to only what is really necessary to run well.

Any constructive comments are welcome.
Old 03-23-2004, 10:26 AM   #2
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

well welcome man. sorry to bust your bubble but the aftermarket support for that car is close to 0

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 03:09 PM   #3
gomopar440

I'm used to that, I am trying to keep it real and use the best stuff that came from the factory. I don't mind swapping better OEM parts to get the most out of what I got. I'd really like to get my hands on a parts interchange manual that lists what parts can be swapped into which cars.

I may end up making a hybrid engine/tranny swap after a while but for now I'd like to just fix up the engine and tranny to get it tight then tweak some on the suspension and brakes. I'm going for a sleeper car so I really don't want it to look fast on the outside until it's too late . It's a shame but some of the cars they got around here could be embarrased easily if this car were set up right .
Old 03-23-2004, 10:29 PM   #4
brianhatchie

i feel the pain, aftermarket for my car is just about zero.
but bleah, i paid $400 for my accord hatchback 1.8L, and with minor tuning and a simple cold air intake + some other small stuff.. this car is beating 96 civics and other comparable cars.

-----------------

i have a question. only recently, sometimes, when the car is ideling, the rpms lower for some reason, which makes me have to press a little gas to keep it up. anyone know whats doing that?

also note, its a nightly power shifting car.
Old 03-24-2004, 07:45 AM   #5
gomopar440

I am going to do a compression test soon to make sure there is still something to work with under the hood. If it looks bad I may just swap in a h18 anyway. We'll see?
Old 03-24-2004, 10:02 AM   #6
brianhatchie

hah, sucks for me, i have to wait til i pass 85K miles before I can swap engines...
Old 03-24-2004, 10:12 AM   #7
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

ummm why do u have to wait 85k miles to swap the engine ?

and gomopar i never heard of a h18. do u have any info on that engine ?

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 10:45 AM   #8
gomopar440

Sorry bout that, it was too early when I typed it. I meant to say b18. There is no mystery engine, really. Still, $150 for a running (although poorly) and driving car

BTW: I already have 309k on this car, does that mean I have to pull the engine three times?
Old 03-24-2004, 12:52 PM   #9
myaccord7

if you go to 3geez.com they might be able to help you get things or help you with your accord. its a forum for 3rd gen accord 86-89 but some people on there know a lot about all the accords.

zach
Old 03-24-2004, 05:36 PM   #10
brianhatchie

Quote:
Originally posted by hondaman-iac
ummm why do u have to wait 85k miles to swap the engine ?

and gomopar i never heard of a h18. do u have any info on that engine ?

cuz this car is still running perfect, when it passes 85K, itll be in the high mileage range, where in fact, i wont be losing any money in the entire process.
Old 03-25-2004, 09:11 AM   #11
gomopar440

Thanks for the link Zach I'll check it out.