Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Electronics/Sound/Security Systems
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2004, 06:16 PM   #1
-.NsaNiTi.-

Headunit power help

Hey fellas..

Ive recently replaced my stock headunit, doing it all myself. Well the aftermarket worked a few times, now acts as if no power is recieved.. All wires are fine, and Ive tested the power, so I know its there. I sent my head unit in to see if it was internal, but they suggested the install was bad. Anyways.. fuses arent a problem.

Well all suggestions will help.. not having music sucks :P

Thanks

-Matt

btw.. if you need anymore info, let me know.
-.NsaNiTi.- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 04:58 PM   #2
CD5Passion

you're sure you wired up the headunit to all the correct wires. cause other than that I would have to say that there is a problem with the headunit...what headunit did you get?
Old 07-13-2004, 10:57 AM   #3
-.NsaNiTi.-

okay just a little update.. yes all the wires are harnessed, its a JVC headunit.

heres where I stand atm. I have everything wired up, normally nothing turns on; but today I was messing around with my wires and while touched my power wire to a positive speaker wire, the HU powers up as does the amp and all music goes through my subs in the trunk. So Im making progress here I guess. Now to figure out why my music isnt going through my speakers??

Any suggestions there?

Thanks
Matt

Im going to re-ground and possibly wire it all myself, just ditch the factory harness, if nothing else works.
Old 07-18-2004, 11:50 AM   #4
AkimboStylee

i was just about to say to chck your ground, and make sure that the acc is on only a wire that powers on when the car is on, and not on the 12v
Old 08-13-2004, 06:25 PM   #5
super_dave

Alrite... i had this problem when i was hooking up my friends head unit. There is i dont remember what its called... i beleieve its for constant power to go to your system it should be a yellow wire. if you dont have that hooked up your wasting your time. what i did was connected it to the power wire and my headunit worked perfectly but the problem was that it never saved our features eg. the time so what i believe you do is run that yellow wire straight to the battery and it should work fine
Old 08-13-2004, 06:26 PM   #6
super_dave

to follow up on my last reply if that doesent work try switching the wires around maybe someone miss labled the wiring
Old 08-13-2004, 08:43 PM   #7
-.NsaNiTi.-

Thanks Dave, I had that saving problem too.
Old 08-14-2004, 11:14 PM   #8
ICUDOUCME

If you took out the factory head unit and are installing a Aftermarket head unit in your case the JVC unit. Did you buy a wiring harness for the head unit. This is a separate harness that attaches to the factory harness and has color codes wires that will match the harness of the head unit that you will be using. If you did not do this. Then you have to actually go through every wire and figure out where it goes.

super_dave (what i did was connected it to the power wire and my headunit worked perfectly but the problem was that it never saved our features eg. the time so what i believe you do is run that yellow wire straight to the battery and it should work fine) This would be because the remote wire was not hooked up. Which also acts as the memory wire, for the head unit allowing it to store the information that is programmed into it.

Hope this helps
Old 08-15-2004, 02:36 PM   #9
super_dave

it should come with a wiring harness shoundnt it?
like my friends did and it worked fine... till his parents made him rip it out and take it back... lol
Old 08-15-2004, 02:38 PM   #10
super_dave

ya i kno what it was.. the van that i did it to was so old it didnt have a memory wire that worked for his headunit thats why you hook it straight up to the battery... i was going to fix it but he had to take back his system
Old 08-17-2004, 01:55 PM   #11
-.NsaNiTi.-

Well the power issue is solved.. but I still do not have any sound going to my speakers.. only to my amp and subs.

Hopefully you all can help figure this out. Thanks for everything so far.

Matt
Old 08-17-2004, 02:44 PM   #12
ICUDOUCME

Idea

I know this may sound stupid but make sure on your head unit you do not have all the sound going to the rear. Also make sure that the wires on the front speakers are attached to the speakers themselves. If this still does not work I possibly have another solution. But lets start simple first before we get complicated.

Chris
Old 08-17-2004, 03:20 PM   #13
-.NsaNiTi.-

LOL.. thanks for the simple ones.. Ive torn it alllllll apart and re-wired just to make sure, and checked the HU settings.. still nothing.

I really do appreciate the help!
Old 08-18-2004, 01:35 PM   #14
ICUDOUCME

Moving on then

Ok sorry I am a computer engineering major so I tend to start with basics with people that are doing the work and not myself, makes things a whole lot simpler. Trust me you have no idea how many people call tech support for computers cause their machines will not turn on and they didn't even have the CPU plugged in.

Ok so lets start by testing the speakers and see if they are getting power. If they are getting power, check all your fuses and make sure none are blown or that they are all pushed inside the fuse holder. Sounds like a dumb thing to do but, believe it or not I have seen this happen, still have yet to figure out why but hey since we know its a possiblity why not try it.
Old 08-18-2004, 03:32 PM   #15
-.NsaNiTi.-

Ill check the fuses.. I know the speakers have power because i can click wires and they make the distortion noise.
Old 08-18-2004, 05:05 PM   #16
super_dave

if the speakers have power then there is no fuse problem. ive blown a fuse b4 and it kills everything in your system. you said that your amp turns on there for that fuse isent blown. you said that your speakers and your head unit turns on therefor you didnt blow a fuse to that. it must be a problem with your amp so try switching wires around.
i believe its something wrong with the connection to your amp or the wires leading from your amp...
Old 08-18-2004, 09:00 PM   #17
-.NsaNiTi.-

no no. the amp/subs work fine.. its my 6x9s and what not.. my regular speakers get no sound what so ever.
Old 08-18-2004, 10:21 PM   #18
super_dave

are your 6x9's hooked up to your amp?
Old 08-18-2004, 10:46 PM   #19
-.NsaNiTi.-

neg.. my subs are the only thing that works.
Old 08-18-2004, 10:48 PM   #20
super_dave

so your subs are hooked up to the amp and your 6x9s are hooked up to the headunit right?
Old 08-19-2004, 08:01 AM   #21
-.NsaNiTi.-

correct
Old 08-19-2004, 09:21 AM   #22
super_dave

ok and you tryed switching the wires around? cause when i hooked up my 6x9s all i did was knew the power wire and guessed on all the rest of them... it worked well and i didnt blow any fuses so i suggest try that.
Old 08-20-2004, 01:20 PM   #23
-.NsaNiTi.-

thatnks.. ill give it a shot today.
Old 08-20-2004, 02:36 PM   #24
super_dave

no problems