::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2004, 02:44 PM   #1
Victorystardrop

Should 1.5'' be fine?

Alright I just ordered some Eibach springs to drop about 1.5'', now do I need anything else to complete the lowering setup? Also should 1.5'' be fine as far as daily driving goes? and does anyone have pics of their cars lowered about the same so I can get a comparison? Thanks.
Old 09-07-2004, 03:41 PM   #2
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

you'll want shocks to go w/ those...
the ride quality will be crap w/o them and the stockers will last about a yr tops (if youre lucky).
Other than that, 1.5" probably doesnt even need a camber kit.
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 04:19 PM   #3
Victorystardrop

What exactly will I need to buy as far as shocks go, should I stick with Eibach or are their better combos out there?
Old 09-07-2004, 04:41 PM   #4
pdiggitydogg

Depends on what youre gonna be using them for. I really like my koni's because theyre excellent quality and have lifetime warranty. Others are completely satisfied w/ kyb agx shocks.
This has been covered a lot and if you search, you'll see all kinds of opinions.
The kind of shock you buy should depend on what youre doing w/ it. If youre going to be racing get something a little better (koni,tein) but if its just street you can go ahead and get something a bit less serious (kyb,tokico).

Eibach springs are fine. I wouldnt worry about them...plus you already paid for them.
Old 09-07-2004, 08:53 PM   #5
BlackDeuceCoupe
The Great Ape

Re: Should 1.5'' be fine?

Quote:
Originally posted by Victorystardrop
Alright I just ordered some Eibach springs to drop about 1.5'', now do I need anything else to complete the lowering setup? Also should 1.5'' be fine as far as daily driving goes? and does anyone have pics of their cars lowered about the same so I can get a comparison? Thanks.

I realize you already bought springs, but lowering is generally done for the sake of appearance[s], and the amount of drop should be determined by the aspect ratio of your tires.

The formula is AR/OP = AWWG (aspect ratio to open space equals acceptable wheel well gap).

To determine this, measure your tire's sidewall. Then measure the open space, or gap, between the top of your tire and the apex of the fender well opening. You should always have the same or a lesser amount of wheel well gap than the tire's sidewall measurement.

As far as performance is concerned, lowering your car too much will result in severe alignment problems. However, .75 to 1.75 inches of lowering will usually keep your car within factory alignment tolerances, so you will probably be okay there.

You may be just fine with just the springs, and a realignment, but that is hardly ever the case. Shocks/struts get used to traveling in a certain range of motion, and they usually fail shortly after changing the ride height. The most common complaint is a 'springy' ride, e.g a 'pogo stick' effect. But, maybe you'll luck out...
DISCLAIMER The existence of BDC is disputable. The existence of views, in the absence
of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise
in the second order coefficient.
BlackDeuceCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 08:59 PM   #6
BlackDeuceCoupe
The Great Ape

Quote:
Originally posted by pdiggitydogg
I really like my koni's...

Dittos!
DISCLAIMER The existence of BDC is disputable. The existence of views, in the absence
of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise
in the second order coefficient.
BlackDeuceCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 09:17 PM   #7
dabouncerx24

Well if you guys don't know, Tokicos come with a lifetime warranty too. Their shocks are pretty decent, but their springs are soft ones so not really good if you're a serious racer.
dabouncerx24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 10:00 PM   #8
pdiggitydogg

tokico...dont make me laugh
Old 09-07-2004, 11:01 PM   #9
Civic_RedLine
3rd Gear

1.5 is fine, I was thinking minimum of 1.75 anyways hey pdig are your shocks kyb gr2s? if so how are they? are they any better than tockiko or better? Ive heard eibach springs go well with kybs dunno whats a good mix with tockico. Im thinking in the future to get the kybs with eibach sprinngs because they are cheap and arent as expensive as tockico

sorry I read wrong.. how are the konis are they racing or sport?
Civic_RedLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 12:52 AM   #10
jjcivic92
2nd Gear

I'm not really sure how far I've lowered my car, but it was low enough to totally screw up my alignment. I lowered the car with drop zone coilovers and have been riding the setup with stock shocks for right at a year now. Hopefully they'll keep on holding ...
Old 09-08-2004, 06:06 AM   #11
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

i would get a set of shocks too. i used the kyb agx with the eibach prokits combo on my accord but i found that the ride would be too stiff at times. also i tried the ground control coilovers and koni yellows and they were a definite improvement over the kyb/eibach combo. the best thing about the koni sports is that they are not position dependent.

as for dropping too low there are alignament kits for it, but sometimes even those are going to be a problem, especially the excentric anchor bolt ones. they tend to get squeaky after a while.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 11:05 AM   #12
CivicSlug
1st Gear

I am using the same Eibach springs, 1.5" drop. I was told that a camber kit would not be needed. After about a year I noticed the tread; moreso in the rear, was worn out on the inside.
This occured worse when I was running my 17's, not so much on my stock winter tires, but it did occure.

This past spring I installed Bilstein Sport shocks and have been pleased I also installed one of those anchor bolt ones Hondamaniac was talking about, I belive its a Revo

Hondamaniac was right it does squek now and then, but it was cheap and it fixed my camber/alignment problems. Besides, thats what radios were made for...right?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg civic drivers side.jpg (65.9 KB, 19 views)
CivicSlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 12:04 PM   #13
jjcivic92
2nd Gear

Civicslug, I like your civic - It's really clean. And as far as "that's what radios were made for", I couldn't agree more

**EDIT**

What do you think of Gabriel shocks? This question is directed toward anyone and everyone.
Old 09-08-2004, 01:14 PM   #14
rushb18

I noticed up there someone said something about TOCKICO setup has a lifetime warranty do they really have that and how would i go by sending my pos gas shocks back and get new ones they where on my car when i bought it and the back bounces like a bit** no kidding every bump i hit it bounces like 30 times to that bump i was thinking they shouldnt be like that and i think there old anyways cause i looked at them and noticed they were very oily and old looking anyone no how i would go about finding out about the warranty..Thanks
Old 09-08-2004, 01:18 PM   #15
rushb18

Nevermind found it, They dont ahve lifetime warranty...just 1 yr from day of purchase..
1. TOKICO Limited Warranty. TOKICO (USA) Inc. warrants its performance suspension products to the original retail purchaser against defects in material and workmanship and wear-out when used on private passenger cars and light trucks under normal operating conditions for as long as such purchaser owns the vehicle on which it was originally installed, except for electronic components, which are warranted for 1 year from date of purchase