::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance > Turbo
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2005, 10:33 PM   #1
dabouncerx24

They're interchangeable?

Question....I always read things like "I got a turbo off a [insert make and model] and put it in my [insert different make and model]".

So I was just wondering, there is no such thing as a "specific" turbo for a car? So I can literally get the turbocharger from an old turbo Volvo and stick it in my Teg?
dabouncerx24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 11:16 PM   #2
Mischief

I don't think so.. I think it's more complicated than that, especially if the turbo came stock on the vehicle

http://mensalmanac.com
Mischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 07:54 AM   #3
thermal
Banning Machine

You have to consider several factors based on a power goal. Turbos come in so many sizes. You must look into A/R or trim sizes.... even bearing design. This applies to any motor out there. Boost is boost, but remember that pressure and volume varies per turbo size.... compressor blade design and housing A/R. In other words, 10 psi from a T25 is not the same as 10 psi on a T4. That mainly has to do with volume. This will also affect where the power peak will be on the RPM band. Meaning, on smaller turbos, 10 psi can be achieved sooner on the lower RPM range vice bigger turbos on higher RPM range.

Basically, there is a formula that tuners and designers use based on where they want the power should occur. They must also consider the CFM of both the motor and turbo.......

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 10:08 AM   #4
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

As a side note...

Some people also forget to think about where the intake & exhaust come off the turbos. This will make a difference in routing the piping. You'd be surprised at what some factory turbos do to route the piping on those engines.
Old 04-28-2005, 12:28 AM   #5
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

I'm pretty sure the flange design isn't universal, either. For instance, I'm not sure a header for an IHI turbo would mate with a KKK or Garrett turbo. I haven't looked too much into this, but I can't imagine every turbo having the same size/bolt pattern in respect to the mounting surfaces. Then again, most factory turbos on USDM cars come from either Garrett or IHI so interchangeability is probably not as hard as I'd imagine. Then, of course, you run into what Arnel was talking about. Since trim selection, A/R ratios, bearing setup, wastegate type, etc. are so important to turbo selection I'm not sure I'd just grab a turbo off of any old car and toss it onto mine. Look at Thunderbird Turbo Coupes and Mustang SVOs. Both had T4s, I believe (the T-Birds may have been T3s...but fairly similar to the SVOs) and had VERY different capabilities. Likewise, I've seen people swipe the T-Bird (or even SVO) turbos and throw them on Mustang GTs and wonder why they run out of steam so soon (hint: twice as many cylinders).
1984 1/2 Mustang GT350 #842, Faster than you...nuff said

Anna Fan Club President/Dictator

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Welcome to the new Amerika
GT40FIED is offline   Reply With Quote