.:HSTuners::

::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance > Turbo
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2004, 08:02 PM   #1
Midnight02

Hey guys, I dont want to sound like a complete idiot but i am new at this stuff, I really want to start saving for a turbo for my civic ex... I only plan on pushing 10 lbs of boost and i am going to vent to the atmosphere so it will basically be for show and sound, i dont plan on taking it to the tracks, i just want to know and let other people know that i have a mean car. but i dont know anything about turbos and i dont know much about prices... any ideas on what i should look for and where i should get it so i know what i have to save for and how much i have to save. thanks a lot.
Old 01-22-2004, 09:20 PM   #2
4drmadness

well midnight I would suggest going to some of the link I will put below. you can learn some from peeps here n the board but it;s good to do some research and then what you might not understand ask about further.
www.homemadeturbo.com
http://www.beesandgoats.com/boostfaq/g2icturbo.html
Hope these couple links might get you started..homemade has some good info from when the guy did his first turbo and what he learned to his current projects...
Good luck and happy boosting...
Old 01-22-2004, 09:28 PM   #3
Midnight02

I asked this in a different thread already but what kind of engine do I have? and is it a sohc or a dohc
Old 01-22-2004, 09:34 PM   #4
sohc_vtec 2NR

EX = sohc vtec
Old 01-22-2004, 09:42 PM   #5
4drmadness

well what yr and model civic do you have? when you pop the hood does the valve cover have an insert that covers the plug wires down the middle and wide or narrow and just rolled over w/ the 4 plug wires right there on top exposed?
easiest if you look at the motor and on the Engine block to the left of your headers you will find a # code like D15,D16 meaning a SOHC or if it has a B16,B18 etc it would be a DOHC and you will notice 2 cam sprockets to the right of the motor and not just 1...
SOHC
DOHC
Hope this is of some help to you...
Old 01-22-2004, 09:50 PM   #6
Midnight02

Its a D17a2 and i guess it is a sohc i've been told by 2 different people. i have never made the effort on researching hondas until now cuz i just got the car last tuesday. i have a lot of learning to do but i have plenty of time because my father wont let me turbo it until i have paid it off fully which is still another 42 months to go. I plan on knocking that down as much as possible but if i start saving now then i wont settle for a cheap turbo in the future. I know i need to do tuning but besides upgrading my clutch what else will need to be done to keep my engine in good, strong, reliable condition.
Old 01-22-2004, 11:00 PM   #7
thermal
Banning Machine

www.maxrev.com makes your turbo kit. check it out

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 07:24 PM   #8
Midnight02

thanks. I need to do some more research. i appriciate you helping me out.
Old 01-24-2004, 01:13 AM   #9
thermal
Banning Machine

Quote:
Originally posted by Midnight02
thanks. I need to do some more research. i appriciate you helping me out.

I'm always here. Ask away. A few peeps here are boosted. I'm not too familiar with D17 but there are a few of us who can help you. The DSM guys here know their shit as well... Keep us posted

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 01-24-2004, 11:18 AM   #10
Midnight02

I want to start my mods now. I have little money at the moment but i do know i can upgrade my wires from like 7.xx mm to 9.3 for like 80 bucks, now by doing that, and getting zex spark plugs how much "stronger" will my engine run, and also, is it work upgrading my fuel management system now. i have seen a lot of people talking about that in other forums. how much would that run me. thanks
Old 01-24-2004, 11:33 AM   #11
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

well what are your goals ? do u plan on boosting later, right ? then make sure you do mods that won't require to be taken out when you boost the car. for the fuel system i know the 7th gen civic is very very weird becuase it has the fuel pressure regulator in tank and it's kinda hard to work on the system. for the plug wires i'd say get 8.5 mm msd's and keep the stock ngk plugs till you boost.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 05:22 PM   #12
thermal
Banning Machine

I agree. If you plan to boost later, then focus on other things like tuning your suspension. The fuel stuff must be planned with your turbo.

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum