::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2002, 10:24 PM   #1
HondaTypeJ

Indiglo Gauges...HELP w/wires!?

Ok, I got these indiglo gauges for my Civic (96' 4dr EX), and they came with these piss poor instructions. Anyway, I have managed to do EVERYTHING right up until the part where it says "Connect the wires to he headlight power supply. (red wire for the positive electrode;black wire for the negative electrode)" What do I need to so after this!? Where is the headlight power supply? Where does this Red wire go and where does this black wire go? Someone please help me with some detailed instuctions that are better than the ones that I have here. Thanks so much!!
Old 01-16-2002, 11:07 PM   #2
Infinity_Racer

that would be your dimmer...but another power source is on your fuse box...if you look closely at your fusebox,you have empy slots where you can connect connectors to....thats the easiest power supply...as for the ground, juss wire it up to one of the srews that touches any metal...and you should be set...hope this helps...
Old 01-16-2002, 11:15 PM   #3
HondaTypeJ

I am not good at this...

I am sorry I am such a putz. I am not good at this wiring stuff. What is a ground...? What should I do with the red wire? What should I do with the black wire? What can i do with the fuse? I really do apreciate any help I can get. I need to be "spoon fed"!
Old 01-16-2002, 11:24 PM   #4
Infinity_Racer

thats kool...we were all "putz" at one point...but you ground wire is your negative wire....you can basically wrap that around a screw and tighten the screw down to anythng metal...as for the red wire, get a connector and hook it up at the end of the wire... next, look around in your fuse box..you should see prongs lined up next to eachother in a row...connect the connector to any one of those, and thats your power supply...
Old 01-16-2002, 11:47 PM   #5
HondaTypeJ

Ok, I am slowly getting it...:-)

Ok, I went ahead and tied my black wire around one of the screws behind the gauge display. Thats done. Now you say I need a connector? What is that? And all that I need to do it connect that to the end of the red wire? Thanks so much!
Old 01-16-2002, 11:51 PM   #6
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Hey infinity_racer, just one question. I don't think you can just use any power supply for them... don't you have to tap into a power supply that turns on only when your parking lights are on? That way the gauges are on when you turn your lights on.

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 12:49 AM   #7
BrandonClaps

Black wire goes to BARE METAL, must be bare metal.

Red wire MUST goto your parking light wire. Now this is the color and these are the locations:

Code:
| ITEM | WIRE COLOR |POL| WIRE LOCATION | | PARKING LIGHTS +|red/black | |dkp/fuse box or *4 | *4 Male blade terminal at fuse box. Also at the back of the dimmer switch.

if the wire is very tiny, you will HAVE to use a relay. If it isn't just tap into the wire. Very tiny i'm talking like 22 gauge like needle thing, bigger i'm talking like 14/16 gauge like i dono bigger then a needle lol but alot bigger, in any case u should use one just to be safe. Make sure you have an inline fuse so you don't screw up anything. If you need to wire using a relay you do it the following way:

85 - Parking lights
86 - Ground
30 - 12v
87 - red wire to gauges
87a - nothing

Good Luck ;D

- Your wiring man(jesu s and g od doesn't work)
Old 01-17-2002, 11:55 AM   #8
HondaTypeJ

Installation web site...

Hey everyone. I found this web site and it recommends using a T-TAP. WHERE CAN I GET ONE OF THOSE? ANYONE KNOW? MAYBE A RADIO SHACK?
Old 01-17-2002, 12:33 PM   #9
slowEJ6

heres what you do........i take it you have your gauge cluster removed. you need 1 O-Ring terminal which can be purchased at radio shack (not just 1, a pack of 6-8) behind your gauge cluster there is a metal bar, it probably looks a bit rusted and there is a single bolt right there, undo the bolt and crimp the BLACK WIRE in the O-Ring terminal (strip the wire so some of the copper shit is showing) and then put the bolt through the O-Ring terminal and bolt it back into place, voila, you have your ground. NOW.....also get a 15A inline fuse w/ holder from the same auto parts store.......now you will also need connectors that are two open ends....so its like this sort ()_______()
so that you can put a wire in each end. if you talk to the people at the auto parts store they'll probably be able to tell you exactly what im talking about and point it out. then you strip part of the wire off the end of the line from the inline fuse, and do the same from your power wire......then crimp them both in the above said terminal.....then wrap electrical tape around it. then strip the OTHER end of the inline fuse wire and on the back of your gauge cluster, you'll see bulbs.....see the biggest one on the back with the wires coming out of it? notice the + mark next to one of the wires, strip some of the black crap off so you see the copper shit again and then wrap the copper shit from the inline fuse to that, wrap tape around it......and there you go, your gauges will only come on with your lights. and you have a fuse so you wont blow anything major just in case. hope that helped?
slowEJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 01:17 PM   #10
BrandonClaps

i'm to lazy to read the post before mine, but DO NOT twist and tape wires (wasn't sure if he said that or not) get T-Taps at AutoZone or PepBoys. Use connections man ;D
Old 01-17-2002, 01:46 PM   #11
slowEJ6

Quote:
Originally posted by BrandonClaps
i'm to lazy to read the post before mine, but DO NOT twist and tape wires (wasn't sure if he said that or not) get T-Taps at AutoZone or PepBoys. Use connections man ;D
yeah hes right.......use the ()______() connector for the part i said to twist at..........makes life easier, however i just taped mine :P
slowEJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2002, 06:29 PM   #12
james_willson1

your ground wire comes from the fuse box at #15 fuse and is black?white (more black), your power wire comes from the fuse box at fuse #25 and is yellow....
hope that helps it's straight from the shop manual to you.
Old 01-26-2002, 10:13 AM   #13
KwikR6
Mind Blowing

Quote:
Originally posted by BrandonClaps
Words to live by. Seriously tho....if ya don't...ya going to be sorry.
any thing I have every wired I used proper connectors. It'll save ya in the end...plus...looks better then electircal tape.

The epitome of stupidity is expressed so fluidly with the shity lyric theory you try to spit at me.

I CAN'T WAIT FOR SUMMER!!!
KwikR6 is offline   Reply With Quote