Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Electronics/Sound/Security Systems
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2003, 11:17 AM   #1
johnriley
2nd Gear

Problems with New EQ

I just had a clarion equalizer added to my setup about a month ago and now the temperature outside is heating up now and about 10minutes after having the stereo on my whole system shuts off and I have to turn it off and wait a minute then it will play for another 10 minutes or so then keep shutting off also I've noticed since i've got the eq installed when I accelerate there is a faint whining noise that gets louder as I accelerate. anyhelp on this is appreciated-Thanks

Mysetup:
Sony Cd Headunit
2 JL Audio 12' Subs-powered by 2 channel 550 watt amp
2 kenwood 6x9's-powered by-4 channel 600watt amp
Clarion eq-Hooked up to 4 channel 600watt amp
johnriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 12:06 PM   #2
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

hmm might be a capaciator or a ground some place

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 01:29 AM   #3
sc0rch

who installed it? whinning noise is either a ground.....or your RCAs are ran on the same side of the car as the power wire............look for a ground loop isolator...i think walmart carries them.............the reason it's shutting off is cause the amp is prolly over heating.....may have bridged down to an ohm load the amp cant handle
Old 04-25-2003, 09:30 AM   #4
johnriley
2nd Gear

I had the local stereo shop install everything I am going to take it back to them and tell them to fix it. Why do you think my amp is overheating should I buy a new one?
johnriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 12:22 PM   #5
sc0rch

not necissairly......it could be the speakers are wired in an ohm load that the amp cant handle or there too powerful and draining too much power from the amp

what kinda amp is it.......and is there any way you can take a picture of the amp and subs.....like a pic of the chennels on the amp with the subs connected to it...........or can you expalin how they are connected to the amp?
Old 04-30-2003, 11:35 PM   #6
Non_Affiliated

If the weather temps are going up up, and the system keeps shutting down, I'm guessing the amps are going into thermal protection Possible. Or maybe a loose wire behinde the dash. When the system cuts out have you checked to see if the amps are in protect mode?
Old 05-01-2003, 10:17 PM   #7
Ty's Si

I would have to agree that the amp is running at an ohm load that it cannot handle (most likely because it is bridged) so it shuts off automatically to prevent further damage to the system.

The solution would be to run them (the woofers) in "stereo" mode (straight negative to negative, positive to positive on the channels) as opposed to "bridged" and turn the gain up a bit.

To get the correct setting on the gain, turn the volume on the head unit to the maximum volume setting and then decrease the gain until you hear no more distortion. This prevents blowing the woofers (or mids and highs) and also prevents it from sounding like ass.

If that doesn't solve your overheating problem, buy a new amp because if it can't be bridged or run in simple stereo mode, it's a P.O.S.