Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2002, 11:57 AM   #1
Sivik

Question on a Short-Throw Shifter

Hey guys,

I was wondering bout a short throw shifter. I'm under Honda's Certified Warranty and its bumper to bumper right now, and will go into Powertrain only soon. I want a short-throw shifter, but I don't want to mess up the warranty. Can I get passed it, or should I get one and change it out when I need some warranty work? Also how hard is it to install? And what are the best quality brands? Thanks!

My Car

My Car is for sale
Sivik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2002, 12:41 PM   #2
PabloHoney

First of all, call your local dealer and ask them if it will void your warranty or anything. If they say it will, call Honda of America and double check with them, as dealers like to **** you sometimes. The install isn't that bad really...shouldn't take too long.
Old 04-26-2002, 09:18 PM   #3
90civiclxryder

install one, dc spots, neuspeed are good. if something happens take it out and put the stock one back in
Old 04-26-2002, 11:43 PM   #4
Fatal070

what will a short throw do ?
Old 04-27-2002, 01:24 AM   #5
slowEJ6

decreases the time between shifts.....i have an APC short shifter w/ neuspeed bushings. GOOD stuff.
slowEJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2002, 10:51 PM   #6
cbrennan

Thats right tell someone to commit fraud by swaping back the orignal parts after they screw up their car. The dealers only "****" you because the see shit like this all the time. Someone who doesn't know jack about how there car works tries to mod it screws it up the runs back to the dealer wanting it fixed for free. Bottom line if you don't know what your doing DON'T DO IT.
Old 04-28-2002, 09:26 AM   #7
AzCivic

Quote:
Originally posted by cbrennan
Thats right tell someone to commit fraud by swaping back the orignal parts after they screw up their car. The dealers only "****" you because the see shit like this all the time. Someone who doesn't know jack about how there car works tries to mod it screws it up the runs back to the dealer wanting it fixed for free. Bottom line if you don't know what your doing DON'T DO IT.

Do you work for a dealer???
AzCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2002, 10:22 AM   #8
90civiclxryder

Quote:
Originally posted by cbrennan

get someone whos knows what they are doing to do the mod, and watch them do it to learn. and there is nothin wrong with swapping back original parts after somethin goes wrong
Old 04-28-2002, 07:17 PM   #9
cbrennan

Yea I work for a dealer. I also think you should do be able to mod your car any way you want, but I don't think you should try screwing someone else for your mistake. If you screw it up take responsibility for it and pay to have it fixed. Go find someone who knows how things work and ask them for help or go to your local tech school and see if you can audit some of the classes to learn more. Also read anything and everything you can about how your car works. Go ask the techs at you local dealer or speed shop for help. Most of us love cars to and want to see all the wild and crazy ways people mod their cars. I don't mind helping anyone out with somthing their stuck on. Like I said before if you don't know what you doing don't do it.
Old 04-28-2002, 09:07 PM   #10
Sivik

anyone have a write up on installing one? Thanks!

My Car

My Car is for sale
Sivik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2002, 09:28 PM   #11
AzCivic

Quote:
Originally posted by Sivik
anyone have a write up on installing one? Thanks!

Try this:

http://www.jdmfan.com/technical/per...c_shortshifter/

Its not hard at all, just make sure you keep track of what bolts go where. I'd recommend replacing the bushings at the same time, they're only like 12$.
AzCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 03:51 AM   #12
BlackDeuceCoupe
The Great Ape

Re: Question on a Short-Throw Shifter

Quote:
Originally posted by Sivik
Hey guys,

...I want a short-throw shifter, but I don't want to mess up the warranty. Can I get passed it, or should I get one and change it out when I need some warranty work?...

Generally speaking, you cannot touch anything between the throttle body and the cat. This will void your warranty. Everything else is okay. Check with YOUR dealer to be sure...
DISCLAIMER The existence of BDC is disputable. The existence of views, in the absence
of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise
in the second order coefficient.
BlackDeuceCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote