.:HSTuners::

::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance > Supercharger
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2001, 11:56 AM   #1
GS-Racer01

Anyone running or know someone running a Vortech SC?

Just wondered how it compared to the JRSC as far as installation, power, and reliability..
Old 09-27-2001, 12:01 PM   #2
97lude

I know a guy with a Vortech on a civic Si. I've ridden in it and it had really good power, but it acts more like a turbo in that the power doesn't really kick in until 4k rpms and rises with the rpms. All the J/R cars that I've ridden in have a lot more power off the line and it remains linear all the way through the rpm band.
Old 09-27-2001, 12:50 PM   #3
hondafetish

To answer 1 part of your question, according to the Vortech website, installation takes about 16-21 hours and looks to be quite a more involved process.
Old 10-01-2001, 05:35 PM   #4
GS-Racer01

Yeah... thats all what I had figured takes awhile to produce power since its a centrifugal type SC and I also figured it would be a little more involved process to put on...
Old 10-18-2001, 10:20 AM   #5
Boosted3g

Im curious with this Vortech though. You would think that since the power curve just increases as the rpms rise and the fact that it has very low boost at low rpms that it would be easily tuned. I would like to see one with a 15 psi pulley and see how it fairs. See if if will help with the low end since that seems to be its downfall.
Old 10-19-2001, 01:09 PM   #6
GS-Racer01

Quote:
I would like to see one with a 15 psi pulley and see how it fairs. See if if will help with the low end since that seems to be its downfall.

That would be intresting to see, you would think that would have to help the low end power.., but from what I have read (and someone tell me if this is untrue) the centrifugal SC like the Vortech the compressor spins very fast up to 60K rpms just to produce efficient boost at high rpm's so running too much boost would put the compressor running too fast to produce boost.. ie a choke condition...
Old 10-20-2001, 09:09 AM   #7
Boosted3g

Your are correct but that charger should have no problem feeding a small SI motor. Most of you turbochargers spin way faster than 60K some even triple than speed so im sure it can spin a little spin faster. I know there is a limit but I doubt it has been reached at only 10 psi.
Old 10-20-2001, 12:04 PM   #8
BlackDeuceCoupe
The Great Ape

Quote:
Originally posted by GS-Racer01
... you would think that would have to help the low end power...
Here's the way to think about a Vortec. It's a belt-driven turbo. The problem with this idea is there is no way to spin it up prior to launch. It's TOTALLY dependent on engine speed. You will see NO power increase on the low-end and mid-range, where most of us spend 99% of our time. Sure, they produce ungodly dyno charts at redline, but in the real world you need to change gears every once in a while. If you install a Vortec you will spend most of your time outside the curve. A belt-driven direct-drive turbo will NEVER work in the real world.

I've thought about this a lot. The only way a Vortec will ever work correctly is if they come up with some sort of variable fluid drive. That is, the Vortec turbo is driven by a variable vane fluid drive, much like a torque converter on a slush box tranny.

Vortec is one of those promising ideas that will never reach fruition. Stick with a real turbo or a real supercharger and forget these engineering wet-dreams.

If you plan to race your car a lot, go the turbo route. If you drive it mostly on the street, go JRSC.

Personally, I like superchargers. A JRSC will give you more power at 2500-RPM than a stock engine at redline. The power is always there, ALL the time, for immediate use unlike turbos, whether belt-driven or exhaust-driven.
DISCLAIMER The existence of BDC is disputable. The existence of views, in the absence
of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise
in the second order coefficient.
BlackDeuceCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2001, 05:36 PM   #9
VN-Tec

How about.. JSC And Vortech together.. Now that would be something