.:HSTuners::

::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2003, 09:19 PM   #1
rody084

synthetic motor oil... which ones are truly synthetic?

I have read some articles online about some so called "synthetic" motor oils, not being 100% synthetic and actually having additives in them.
I was told that penzoil sucks,
what are the good brands that make actual good synthetic oil?
i looked at chevron's website, it says 100% synthetic, is this true?
please post up your thoughts on motor oil because I am due for a oil change soon
Old 03-14-2003, 09:23 PM   #2
rody084

other than AMSOIL...because I cannot find any place that sells it... im looking for something that could be found in kragen and Im looking for the 10W30 synthetic oil.
My car is a 1990 integra GS all stock except a greddy exhaust. (for now)
Old 03-15-2003, 01:13 AM   #3
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

why do u want to put syntetic in it ? well i used to use syntehinc and i was burning/losing more than 2 qt every oil change. i'm not burning or losing any oil right now with the regular

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 01:22 AM   #4
rody084

well, i heard taht synthetic gives you way better performance...isnt this true?
Old 03-15-2003, 01:44 AM   #5
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

i haven't noticed any performance gains or losses. anyway my engine sucks ass big time

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 08:19 AM   #6
spoogenet

Mobil 1 is usually the highest recommended oil I can find and is what I run.

Synthetic oils give a more consistent viscosity over the varying temperatures. Translation: temperature variations don't cause a decrease in the oils protecting abilities or an increase in strain on the engine.

Synthetic oils tend to hold their properties longer than traditional oils. Translation: still change it at the recommended intervals. Sure is theoretically lasts longer, but why not be safe anyways.

Synthetic oils cost a lot more. Translation: buy synthetic.

Synthetic oils are "thinner" or have smaller molecules or something. Translation: they are more likely to leak. Usually it is not recommended to run synthetics in older cars because they'll just leak away at a fast rate. They can seep through smaller cracks, etc. Keep a closer eye on your oil level if you run synthetic.

There are synthetic oils, there are synthetic blends, and there are natural oils. The best protection tends to be had by the full synthetics. As far as additives go, I wouldn't be surprised if all oils had additives in them, but I do not know.

b
Old 03-19-2003, 02:53 AM   #7
Leets
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally posted by spoogenet
Mobil 1 is usually the highest recommended oil I can find and is what I run.

Synthetic oils give a more consistent viscosity over the varying temperatures. Translation: temperature variations don't cause a decrease in the oils protecting abilities or an increase in strain on the engine.

Synthetic oils tend to hold their properties longer than traditional oils. Translation: still change it at the recommended intervals. Sure is theoretically lasts longer, but why not be safe anyways.

Synthetic oils cost a lot more. Translation: buy synthetic.

Synthetic oils are "thinner" or have smaller molecules or something. Translation: they are more likely to leak. Usually it is not recommended to run synthetics in older cars because they'll just leak away at a fast rate. They can seep through smaller cracks, etc. Keep a closer eye on your oil level if you run synthetic.

There are synthetic oils, there are synthetic blends, and there are natural oils. The best protection tends to be had by the full synthetics. As far as additives go, I wouldn't be surprised if all oils had additives in them, but I do not know.

b

Yep... all true My vote's for dino oil, though. Cheaper and just as capable as extending the life of your engine.
Old 03-20-2003, 01:34 PM   #8
nonovurbizniz

Redline
Royal Purple
Amzoil (call them they'll direct you to a local distributer they don't sell it in (normal) stores.)
Mobil 1
Texaco Full Syn.

The not "true" synthetics have to say "synthetic BLEND"

I recomend mobil 1 though it's widely available. If you contact ANY of those companies they will direct you to somewhere that will sell you or send you their oil.

I've seen a couple of shows/mags that did do dyno runs before and after the switch to synthetic oil... all showed some improvement.

At the very least they make your car run better if you can afford it go for it... there are hardly any downsides.
Old 03-20-2003, 04:26 PM   #9
rody084

cool, thanx all for your posts. I ended up finding some Mobil1 10W30 oil at a costco so that worked out perfect.
Now I am to decide on an oil filter... I am thinking of gettin a K&N gold series (or whatever series they are). I read that these are pretty good.
any thoughts on this?
Old 03-20-2003, 05:32 PM   #10
ForceInjection

Comparison of Royal Purple, Mobil1, Amsoil, and RedLine synthetic 10W-30 from a scientific point of view.

Everthing will be Royal Purple*/ Red Line*/ Mobil 1*/ Amsoil*/ Pennzoil* (for perspective)
* 10W-30, all synthetic other than Pennzoil

Viscosity@ 40C: 61.8/ 64 / 59.0 / 64.3 / 98 (Amsoil)
Viscosity Index: 148/ 136 / 147 / 177 / 105 (Amsoil)<=== most important!!
Pour Pt.(F): -49/ -58/ -65/ -60 / -22 (Mobil)
(lowest temp. you can pour it at, lower better)
Flash Pt.(F): 400/ 518/ 470 / 446 / 450 (Red Line, takes the heat)
(point the oil is ruined, higher is better)
Max. Oil Life: -12,000 / 10,000 - 18,000 / -10,000 / 25,000 / 5,000
Old 03-21-2003, 08:29 AM   #11
spoogenet

The biggest disadvantage to Synthetic is cost.

For filters just use the Honda filter. Honda puts a lot more paper than most filter makers. They're not too expensive either.

That AMSOIL number looks a little too far from the pack to be trusted too much. Where'd you get that data? I'm not saying it's not true, but it is suspicious.

b
Old 03-21-2003, 02:41 PM   #12
ForceInjection

Actually my friend sent that to me through email after doing a report on different types of oil.
Old 03-27-2003, 01:05 AM   #13
ifeldwn02
3rd Gear

i use castrol sythetic and ive been able to notice a slight diff after i change my oil
ifeldwn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 11:30 AM   #14
chahonda

i use castrol syntec 5w-50 and a factory honda filter.
works fine for me!!

just say no to fram filters on hondas!!!!!
Old 04-11-2003, 01:08 PM   #15
spoogenet

Definitely, I say stick with Honda filters.

I hear there is a new Mobil1 filter out, supposedly has a better efficiency than the Bosch one....but I'm not sure if either of them are any good.

b