::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Hybrid
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2002, 10:59 PM   #1
Civicfrenzy

Help Please

I need some help here. Actually alot of help. I am debating whether to do an engine tranny swap. Right now my engine is all stock and the car is an auto (96 civic ex). So i would be chaning to manual transmission and new engine. But i have no idea where to start, or even if its really worth it. I guess my main purpose for doing this would be to have the manual transmission. The easiest solution would prob be to start over with a manual civic, however this is not possible right now. So what do i do??? I dont want to spend a ton of $$$ on this but i do understand it will cost quite a bit and i dont want to be cheap with my ride. So i am in need of some major help here. If i do this what should i be looking to get? Is it really worth it (im open to everyones opinion)? Where can i find the proper stuff to do the swap? I have no idea where to start right now so any advice is much appreciated. I hope i posted this in the right forum.
THNX everyone
Old 05-03-2002, 11:34 PM   #2
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Well, you are being very vague with your price range. Would you spend $3k to do a swap? Do you have to spend less than that? You have a few different engine choices that range greatly in $$$, so you'd need to me a little more specific.

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2002, 12:04 AM   #3
Civicfrenzy

Right now $3000 would prob be my max. I really dont want to go over that unless i absolutley have to. Maybe something even a little less but like i said i dont want to buy something that isnt very good. Actually i was hoping about $2000 but i can go 3 if it is worth it.
Thnx
Old 05-04-2002, 05:49 PM   #4
slowEJ6

save your money until you can spend more. you'll be happier in the long run.
slowEJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2002, 05:50 PM   #5
slowEJ6

or just swap the transmission for now, then save up for a swap. i think thats the best choice. right below selling the car and getting a 5spd.
Old 05-04-2002, 11:03 PM   #6
BLu3xCiViC

i just did my conversion last week with a friend it took us three days to complete the ls manual conversion on my 92 hatch with everything said and done it only cost me $1700 including the b18b from an 94 LS....if u want to do the tranny conversion with the ex motor first it won't cost u that much....if a shop does it for you it'll probally be less than $400 for labor....and around $400 all the parts ecu, tranny, blah blah...so thatz less than $1000...well just trying to make the process easier for you....cuz i had to find out everything out the hard way for myself....peace
Old 05-05-2002, 12:12 AM   #7
Civicfrenzy

i heard that if i wanted to swap my transmission i had to do the whole engine trans swap? so thats not true? and what parts would i need just to do the trans swap? where could i get them at? is it hard to do myself or should i take it to a honda place?
thnx again everyone
Old 05-05-2002, 02:46 PM   #8
BLu3xCiViC

well itz better to do the engine swap and conversion at once cuz itz not that much more....if you dont kno what is needed than you already kno that itz better off taking it to a honda shop that done this before depending where ur from most honda shops kno exactly what you need....i don't recommend u doing it urself....well here is what u need if u wanna keep ur motor....a a manual ex ecu, complete manual tranny for ur ex motor including the clutch, flywheel, pressure plate, ect and everything else that comes with the tranny....u'll need a clutch,brake,gas pedal assembly and shift linkage....manual intermediate shaft....well thats the most important parts....ur'll find these at salvage yards for hella cheap....but i recommend u talking to a shop first cuz they can find most of the parts for you......
Old 05-07-2002, 08:35 PM   #9
Civicfrenzy

so if i call my local honda shop and tell them i want to convert to manual they can get me all the parts and do it? that sounds great, thnx alot everyone
Old 05-08-2002, 11:08 AM   #10
slowEJ6

keep the astroglide in hand when you call honda.

btw, i doubt honda will do the swap for you. they arent a custom shop.
Old 05-08-2002, 05:51 PM   #11
Civicfrenzy

ok first what is an astroglide (sorry for not knowing anything about this!)
so if the honda place wont do it what do u suggest looking under in the phonebook. Or if ne1 knows a good place around st louis that would be great also.
thnx again everyone
Old 05-08-2002, 09:44 PM   #12
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

Quote:
Originally posted by Civicfrenzy
ok first what is an astroglide (sorry for not knowing anything about this!)
im not sure, but it sounds like a type of lubrication

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 10:30 PM   #13
slowEJ6

astroglide is like ky jelly........
Old 05-09-2002, 01:06 PM   #14
BLu3xCiViC

[quote]Originally posted by hybrid3do0rcx

btw, i doubt honda will do the swap for you. they arent a custom shop.
[/QUO

um.....to clarify not a honda dealer shop ..of course they wouldn't do it.....i meant a honda shop as in a shop that specializes in honda performance and swaps....peace
Old 05-09-2002, 03:55 PM   #15
slowEJ6

Quote:
Originally posted by Civicfrenzy
so if i call my local honda shop and tell them i want to convert to manual they can get me all the parts and do it?
thats what i was referring to. i knew what you meant blu3