::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Prelude
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2002, 10:10 AM   #1
Honda_Gurl

spark plugs question

hey guys i was just wondering whether or not changing your spark plugs is supposed to make a difference or not. i put in my denso iridiums on monday. so far i have noticed it seems to run a little bit better but i was wondering if i should buy new spark plug wires too?? i realize i'm not really gonna gain like 10 hp or anything, but just in general will my car be running better with new wires too??
Old 04-05-2002, 10:27 AM   #2
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

yep usually when you change the sprk plugs you need to get new wires, new distributor cap and rotor. I don't think all the things above add power but helps for a better spark, burning more of the fuel.

P.S. Dist cap and rotor are the most overlooked parts in the ignition system.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2002, 11:08 AM   #3
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

You won't really gain too much power unless you install an ignition system. If you have stock wires, etc. now would probably be a good time to change them, since you have a 92.

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2002, 11:33 AM   #4
Honda_Gurl

ya i guess 10 yrs is a little old for wires huh? u guys recommend any particular brand or anything?

and about the distributor cap and rotor, where can i get those? do they sell aftermarket ones or not?
Old 04-05-2002, 01:11 PM   #5
cantdrive55

Quote:
Originally posted by Honda_Gurl
ya i guess 10 yrs is a little old for wires huh? u guys recommend any particular brand or anything?

and about the distributor cap and rotor, where can i get those? do they sell aftermarket ones or not?

I have NGK wires along with my NGK plugs, and no, you don't have to change the rotor, cap, and wires everytime you change the spark plugs. I think the Honda service manual states that they should be changed at around 90,000 miles. I'd just buy the Honda rotor and cap, it'll be around 40 bucks for both.
Old 04-08-2002, 11:49 AM   #6
Honda_Gurl

ok, so if i've got more than 90000 miles, i should change the rotor and cap? i'm thinkin so.

and another question, what kind of ignition system would u guys recommend? msd is what i hear but can someone explain the difference in systems.

sorry for all the questions but i sure do appreciate any help you can give me.
Old 04-08-2002, 02:30 PM   #7
cantdrive55

yeah, I'd change the cap and rotor, along with the spark plug wires. I don't really have any experience with aftermarket ignition systems though, so I can't really answer your questions.