::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Wheels, Tires, Suspension, and Brakes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2002, 10:36 PM   #1
insomniac_91

Best way to drop a car?

Well I just wanted some input on the best ways to drop my car. I've been doing alot of thinking actually. First I was like I'm a just get some springs cause it cheaper I guess, Than I thought coilovers cause of the adjustability.what do you all think ?on brands and what not ? Any info would be much appreciated
Old 04-30-2002, 07:25 AM   #2
insomniac_91

any suggestions, any?
Old 04-30-2002, 08:19 AM   #3
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Im not a big fan of Coilover Sleeves. They usually ride like crap, especially if you buy the cheap ones but they are nice to have to raise up and down. If you absolutely gonna get a set I wouldnt get anything but Ground Control. I would get new shocks too. You will have to sooner or later anyway. Suspension is one of the most important parts on the car, do it right.
Old 04-30-2002, 08:30 AM   #4
insomniac_91

what else would you suggest other than CO?and an estimate on price? Thanx for the info
Old 04-30-2002, 08:35 AM   #5
spoogenet

I think the most common recommendation you'll find would be Eibach Pro Kits or Sport Line springs, depending on how much you want to drop. The Pro Kits will take you down 1.3-1.5", the Sport Lines, I'm not sure but I think they're 2.0-2.2" or so. The Pro Kits are around $200, IIRC on groupbuycenter.

Then the shocks that come recommended are usually Koni Yellows and KYB AGX, although I'm not sure of the availability for your model. They KYB AGX aren't available for the 6th gen Accord, or not that I have seen so far. I think the Koni Yellows are around $540 for the 6th gen Accord, if they're available for your model they'd probably be a little cheaper.

These recommendations are what have been given to me over time....mostly from this board.

b
Old 04-30-2002, 08:48 AM   #6
insomniac_91

Thanx man... I have been getting alot of mixed replies though. Some people say get CO and some say get springs. I would not mine spending some extra money for the adjustability but if they ride like crap. That's something that would bother me. Can someone give me more insight thanx again
Old 04-30-2002, 09:15 AM   #7
Mushroom

So you don't mind spending money, think you'd like adjustability and don't want the harsh ride of sleeves? According to what I've read in previous threads, you might want real coilovers (combined spring+damper), which are more expensive (USD700-1200?) but are the "right" way to do it.

I think if you search some earlier threads on this subject, you can find some brand suggestions.
Old 05-01-2002, 07:32 AM   #8
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Well jufging by your location, it probably doesn't snow a whole lot there. So you wouldn't neccessarily need coilovers unless you wanted that extra flexibilty.

For a TRUE coilover setup look to spend about $950 minimum. KONI has a nice set of adjustable & threaded struts & springs for about $970. I believe they use Eibach springs.

For springs, figure out how much you can drop your car. If you do alot of driving or have some rough roads, don't slam your car. You'll end up ripping it to pieces.
PHP Code:
FRONT       REAR          KIT#
Eibach
PRO
-KIT               1.2 in      1.2 in          4011.140 
SPORTLINE KIT    1.8 in      1.7 in          4.1140 

H
&R
OE Sport             .75           .75              51851
Sport                  1.5           1.5               51873 
Race                   2.2            2.0              51851
The Pro-Kits & sportlines run from about $180. The H&R springs run from about $172 & up.

Good luck........
Old 05-15-2002, 01:28 PM   #9
Methos

Quote:
Im not a big fan of Coilover Sleeves. They usually ride like crap, especially if you buy the cheap ones but they are nice to have to raise up and down.
This comment is a SUBJECTIVE OPINION. It is based on what an individual wants to do with the car. It is also based on what someone's definition of "rides like crap" is. To me riding like crap is a stock slushbox ride like most Hondas come from the factory equipped with. The stiffer the better IMO.

Next - Could you explain to me how a coilover sleeve on a shock would make a car ride like crap compared to a vehicle with threaded body shocks or regular springs? All 3 are running the same spring rates and all 3 sets of shocks can effectively handle the spring rates being used. Could you please educate me here?

Also - Raising and lowering the car is not the purpose for coilovers. In fact - coilovers are pointless unless you autocross/track your car. Why? Because you will never corner-balance your car so you don't need the adjustability. Why waste the money? Use the money you save to buy some nEoNz or some shit like that.

Further - if you are planning on dumping some 17" or 18" "dubz" on the car then I further stress not wasting the money on the coilovers since the "rImZ" will do more to hurt the handling of the car than the shocks/springs will be able to fix.
Old 05-15-2002, 02:12 PM   #10
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Quote:
Originally posted by Methos
This comment is a SUBJECTIVE OPINION.
Uh oh. A communciations major by chance?

Quote:
Next - Could you explain to me how a coilover sleeve on a shock would make a car ride like crap compared to a vehicle with threaded body shocks or regular springs? All 3 are running the same spring rates and all 3 sets of shocks can effectively handle the spring rates being used. Could you please educate me here?

I think he may be referring to the fact that some "cheap" sleeve sets have tendancy to move. I don't know. I've not had that experience.

Quote:
Also - Raising and lowering the car is not the purpose for coilovers.

So they're just decorative? I always thought you could raise & lower your car with coil-overs. Damn those advertisements. So misleading.

Quote:
In fact - coilovers are pointless unless you autocross/track your car. Why? Because you will never corner-balance your car so you don't need the adjustability. Why waste the money?

Pointless? Not if you live in Ohio. I would love to be able to raise and lower my car as the seasons change. The winters get rough here so the added clearance is nice. But then again I apparently can't raise or lower my car with coilovers.

Quote:
Use the money you save to buy some nEoNz or some shit like that.
Yeah definately a good investment. But do neons light up? Not real sure about that one. I always thought they did, but perhap you can enlighten me on that one too.

Old 05-15-2002, 02:21 PM   #11
Methos

Quote:
So they're just decorative? I always thought you could raise & lower your car with coil-overs. Damn those advertisements. So misleading.
What level are you at with your reading comprehension? Did you make it to 3rd grade yet? 2 sentences later I said:
Quote:
Because you will never corner-balance your car so you don't need the adjustability.
You even quoted it. Did you miss that little tidbit of info? Do you think that coilovers were invented for people who want a slammed ride in the summer but a higher stance in the winter? Sorry - coilovers were designed and developed for racing applications. They found their way to street cars for much the same reason as strut tower braces did. Neither really has much purpose on a boulevard pimp ride.
Old 05-15-2002, 02:30 PM   #12
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Quote:
What level are you at with your reading comprehension? Did you make it to 3rd grade yet? 2 sentences later I said:
You even quoted it. Did you miss that little tidbit of info? Do you think that coilovers were invented for people who want a slammed ride in the summer but a higher stance in the winter? Sorry - coilovers were designed and developed for racing applications. They found their way to street cars for much the same reason as strut tower braces did. Neither really has much purpose on a boulevard pimp ride.

No actually I read your post. While coil-overs may have been designed by racers, the most common application is street. Hence the market for coil-over sleeves. You get the basis of coil-overs, adjustablity, without the huge price tag. While they aren't going to be as good as the full race coil-overs they still accomplish the job.

So apparently you missed something in my post. I never said that coil-overs were invented by/for "people who want a slammed ride in the summer but a higher stance in the winter". You however said they were "pointless". I'm just stating that they do have a use other than race applications.

Strut tower bars are nice to have as well. I love to tackle corners. The extra firmness from my struts/springs with the rigidness from the strut tower braces/swaybars makes it fun to slam into corners. Just because I'm not an autocrosser or road racer doesn't mean I don't want my car to handle well.
Old 05-15-2002, 02:40 PM   #13
Methos

Quote:
the most common application is street.
Can you provide some data to back up this claim or is this an opinion of yours?
Quote:
Hence the market for coil-over sleeves.
You do realize that thousands of road racers across the country use coilover sleeves don't you?
Quote:
Strut tower bars are nice to have as well. I love to tackle corners. The extra firmness from my struts/springs with the rigidness from the strut tower braces/swaybars makes it fun to slam into corners.
Fact - strut tower braces do very little for the car's performance. In a race car they may have some impact but I have to tell you that in my car I didn't notice a difference - and it isn't a street car. The reason STBs are so popular is because race cars have them, they are easy to install and they look cool. The actual increase in stiffness is nominal at best.
Quote:
Just because I'm not an autocrosser or road racer doesn't mean I don't want my car to handle well.
I never said you didn't want that. What I said is why bother with all the bells and whistles when you could have what you are looking for for substantially less money? I assure you that having compression and rebound adjustments won't mean dick on the street because you aren't pushing the car hard enough to notice (unless you are a ****ing ass behind the wheel).
Old 05-15-2002, 03:01 PM   #14
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Quote:
Can you provide some data to back up this claim or is this an opinion of yours?
You do realize that thousands of road racers across the country use coilover sleeves don't you?

Still goes back to the fact that they are less expensive. Point proven. Well unless there's some new survey out for coil-over application usuage, I would have to put that under opinion (for now.... ).
Quote:
Fact - strut tower braces do very little for the car's performance. In a race car they may have some impact but I have to tell you that in my car I didn't notice a difference - and it isn't a street car. The reason STBs are so popular is because race cars have them, they are easy to install and they look cool. The actual increase in stiffness is nominal at best.
Fact? Where's your data? All I see is an opinion. I never said it was a HUGE difference. But they do help.
Quote:
I never said you didn't want that. What I said is why bother with all the bells and whistles when you could have what you are looking for for substantially less money? I assure you that having compression and rebound adjustments won't mean dick on the street because you aren't pushing the car hard enough to notice (unless you are a ****ing ass behind the wheel).

Because of the height adjustment! I already said that. And yes I'm an ass behind the wheel . I drive like a nut (in areas where there isn't traffic anyhow).

Man my fingers are getting tired.....
Old 05-15-2002, 03:03 PM   #15
Methos

Quote:
Fact? Where's your data? All I see is an opinion. I never said it was a HUGE difference. But they do help.
Try a .002 second a lap average improvement at VIR when installing them. Is that good enough data for you? 2 thousandths is inconsequential and if you can feel that kind of a difference then you really need to find a Formula 1 theam to drive with because you have some amazing senses behind the wheel.
Old 05-15-2002, 03:18 PM   #16
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Quote:
Try a .002 second a lap average improvement at VIR when installing them. Is that good enough data for you? 2 thousandths is inconsequential and if you can feel that kind of a difference then you really need to find a Formula 1 theam to drive with because you have some amazing senses behind the wheel.
So where can I sign up for a Formula 1 car? I could care less about lap times though. Like I said, I'm no auto-xer or road racer. But yes, I do notice a difference.

What kind of car do you run? What type of racing do you do?
Old 05-16-2002, 07:42 AM   #17
insomniac_91

Thanx for keeping it clean boys.....LOL
Old 05-16-2002, 08:12 AM   #18
spoogenet

Quote:
Also - Raising and lowering the car is not the purpose for coilovers. In fact - coilovers are pointless unless you autocross/track your car. Why? Because you will never corner-balance your car so you don't need the adjustability. Why waste the money? Use the money you save to buy some nEoNz or some shit like that.

While the original intent of coilovers wasn't simply to provide height adjustment, they are useful for that purpose as well. If something is useful for a purpose, regardless of whether it was designed for that purpose, then there's certainly nothing wrong with using it for said purpose.

Quote:

Further - if you are planning on dumping some 17" or 18" "dubz" on the car then I further stress not wasting the money on the coilovers since the "rImZ" will do more to hurt the handling of the car than the shocks/springs will be able to fix.

Then what do you suggest, 14" or 15"? Just what are "dubz" anyways?

Quote:

I assure you that having compression and rebound adjustments won't mean dick on the street because you aren't pushing the car hard enough to notice (unless you are a ****ing ass behind the wheel).

That depends on your definition of 'dick'.

Adjustable compression/rebound does matter on the street. Setting it up properly can mean the difference between blowing a tire or bending a rim versus not having any problems when you hit that pothole that popped out of nowhere. And if you use your car at the track as well, it sure would be nice to configure it for the track where there aren't potholes.

All things being equal, they may also get you show points. Can't hate on somebody for winning shows with their "useless" coilovers.

b