::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2002, 12:36 PM   #1
spoogenet

Exhaust....which performs/sounds best?

First off, what I'm looking for/my application. Looking for a more powerful daily driver that has more pep that stock. I don't plan on blowing or bottle feeding, I don't race. I want to remain 100% street legal (except maybe CA.....). Don't want to empty the pockets, but I want quality parts.

Next up, performance. I'm getting an intake soon, then plan on getting an exhaust, then maybe headers later on. Should I get cat back or axel back? Which exhausts give the best performance, and which give the most bang for the buck.

Finally, sound. I don't want it to sound like a tight ass farted in a Folgers can. I'd like something with a deeper "throaty" sound. Know what I mean, Vern? My bro used to have some kind of Konig exhaust he got about 4 years ago, I think it's the bullet, probably the best sounding one I've heard on the Accord....but I checked their site and the only one they offer for Accord these days is the dual exhaust cat back. I don't want a 2 foot tip. I'm looking for single exhaust, not dual.

I think the better looking ones are the Konig bullet (or any similar looking bullet) and the Tanabes....I think Tanabe has a Hyper something or other for the Accord....

b
Old 06-13-2002, 05:23 PM   #2
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

I just got my new exhaust..

I went with an Remus axel back. And used Brullen pipes all the way to the front.

Simply put, I have yet to hear a 4 cyl that sounds as good as mine.

But it's damn expensive.

--------------------------------------------------------

A cheaper alternative would be the Greddy SP (cat back)..
HondaStyle.com Babysitter's Club Member #0

Soon to be >Dr Max Immuh<
Accord Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 10:01 AM   #3
spoogenet

How expensive?

And when you say Brullen pipes to the front, are you connecting to the cat or did you bypass the cat and run all the way to the headers?

And do you know what availability is like for the 6th gen?

Another question for others on the 6th gen....many of the exhauts/headers I see say for up to '00.....are '01 and '02 different enough that they can't be used? To my knowledge very little other than the rear lights changed from '00 to '01.

b
Old 06-18-2002, 08:45 PM   #4
Boosted3g

This is my exhaust and you wont find any cheaper anywhere.

3" downpipe
2' of 3" pipe
3" Dynomax Bullet race muffler
3" Flowmaster Scavenger turndown

Yeha its a little loud but it kicks ass.
Old 06-18-2002, 08:55 PM   #5
Maxvla

apexi ws
Old 06-22-2002, 11:14 PM   #6
C's 94 InTeGrA
4th Gear

Ractive all the way!!! j/j
C's 94 InTeGrA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2002, 09:45 PM   #7
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

GReddy. Nice & throaty. I had teh GReddy SP on my EX. Sounded gorgeous.
Old 06-26-2002, 11:11 AM   #8
KwikR6
Mind Blowing

I just bought the Tanabe Hyper Medallion. The guy at Tanabe said that it sounds super deep not loud like a bumble-bee but supposed to sounds amazing. I'll tell you as soon as I get it.

What about DC sports twin canister system, or the mugen twin loop.

The epitome of stupidity is expressed so fluidly with the shity lyric theory you try to spit at me.

I CAN'T WAIT FOR SUMMER!!!
KwikR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2002, 11:48 AM   #9
C's 94 InTeGrA
4th Gear

One of the kids around here has the DC sports on his civic and its really not that loud.. it looks like theres just a tip on the exhaust but it gives off some sound not very much.
C's 94 InTeGrA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2002, 12:26 PM   #10
spoogenet

I'd kinda like a bullet style, similar to the Tanabe. I just like the way they look....but I'd concern myself more with actual performance and sound.

I'll have to look into the GReddy, Apexi, and Brullen. A friend of mine used to have a Brullen on his '92 and I didn't care for its sound so much.

Should I get axel back or cat back? I figure since I won't really be pushing the ponies, I would probably be fine with the axel back. Although if I get headers and axel back, and I just wasting my money without doing a bunch of custom piping?

b
Old 06-26-2002, 11:37 PM   #11
AzCivic

I say Apexi's World Sport cat-back, good price, good deep tone, good performance.
AzCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2002, 04:16 PM   #12
2ndGenTeg
4th Gear

Don't get just an axle back. You'll get zero performance gain whatsoever unless you upgrade the exhaust from the cat back. Otherwise, you end up with a bottleneck- what good is a 3" axle back, when it's 1.5" from the cat to the axle.

On that note, Tanabe exhausts have a bottleneck about 3" long, less than 2.25" in diameter.

The GReddy SP (Street Performance) is pretty close to what I think you're looking for- a great looking exhaust, and not loud until you put your foot down. 2.25" piping from the cat back, and good, solid performance.
2ndGenTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2002, 12:04 AM   #13
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

i LOVE my SP. its quite but can rell growl at 7600 rpms. i stand behind it 100% or if you can find the oh so rare RS*R's those are nice too. oh the nice TRUST imprinted on the bottom of the muffler looks real nice too

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2002, 08:05 AM   #14
onlyNls

I have the Tanabe Hypermedalion Superspec ( the newest model). Anyway it sounds great. Very deep but also very quiet at times. It's probably one of the quiestest performance exhausts you can get, never annoyingly loud. I can actually hear music when I'm cruisin on the highway. Anyway overall it's a great exhaust.
Old 07-11-2002, 08:38 AM   #15
spoogenet

Quote:
Originally posted by 2ndGenTeg
Don't get just an axle back. You'll get zero performance gain whatsoever unless you upgrade the exhaust from the cat back. Otherwise, you end up with a bottleneck- what good is a 3" axle back, when it's 1.5" from the cat to the axle.

On that note, Tanabe exhausts have a bottleneck about 3" long, less than 2.25" in diameter.

The GReddy SP (Street Performance) is pretty close to what I think you're looking for- a great looking exhaust, and not loud until you put your foot down. 2.25" piping from the cat back, and good, solid performance.

That's kinda what I figured. Will I be getting much of a gain with just I/E and skipping the H until later? Or should I get the H before the E? I dunno if I even want to bother with headers, but if I'm wasting money on an exhaust with no headers then I'll have to get headers sometime.

b
Old 07-11-2002, 09:49 AM   #16
AzCivic

A header isn't that great infact I wish I hadn't of wasted money on mine. And if you go turbo later you'll have to throw it out anyway. Forget a header put that money toward nitrous or a turbo incase you change your mind about forced induction. Which you probably will when your car starts to get a little faster with the bolt ons.
AzCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2002, 08:29 AM   #17
spoogenet

I don't think I'm going to get a tbone for her, or blow her, or bottle feed her. I think I'll just stick with the basic bolt-ons like intake and exhaust and then focus on handling, the interior, and the audio, in that order. I might get pulleys, but I'm not sure about underdriving my A/C in the Texas heat.

I recognize that the Accord isn't built for speed and isn't all that fast to begin with. I'm basically just doing a little light customizing work to make her more my ride than just another Accord. If I drive carefully I may even get better gas mileage!

If I were looking for speed I woulda bought a 'lude, 'teg, or RSX. Or maybe even a Civic.

b
Old 07-22-2002, 12:07 AM   #18
Hyjnx da Civic

I got the dunk can...it sounds nice on imports..but i bought it off a friend with a BMW and it sounded like crap...and my friend has a Contour with a dunk and it sounds like a weedwacker...so i mean i like my dunk...they seem to be made for my car..but im gonna get a 5zigen Fireball Catback system...
Old 07-22-2002, 10:28 AM   #19
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

Quote:
Originally posted by AzCivic
A header isn't that great infact I wish I hadn't of wasted money on mine. And if you go turbo later you'll have to throw it out anyway. Forget a header put that money toward nitrous or a turbo incase you change your mind about forced induction. Which you probably will when your car starts to get a little faster with the bolt ons.
what kind did you get? mine gave me a desent gain. probboyl the most noticable out of all my mods.

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2002, 12:29 PM   #20
Boosted3g

IMO nothing sounds better than open downpipe. OK OK maybe a 3" Dynomax race muffler on it but no more.
Old 07-30-2002, 09:38 AM   #21
spoogenet

Ok, so I'm basically between the Greddy SP and Apexi WS. From what I understand the Greddy is quieter and also gives more power gain than the Apexi. Anybody have evidence to the contrary?

Do they come with custom mandrel bent pipes all the way to the cat, or do I need to get the pipes bent at a shop?

I'd like to do the install myself and put all the money toward the exhaust rather than extra installation money.

b
Old 07-30-2002, 11:16 AM   #22
KwikR6
Mind Blowing

^if you get a full cat back....you can install it all yourself....it has the hangers and everything for it^

The epitome of stupidity is expressed so fluidly with the shity lyric theory you try to spit at me.

I CAN'T WAIT FOR SUMMER!!!
KwikR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2002, 11:40 AM   #23
quik

I think your headed in the right direction. Forget the header, Honda makes great exhaust manifolds for what your doing with the car. But, they sound like crap, so get a good cat back system or else you'll be BUZZZZZZING around town with some cheap a$$ exhaust . Forget the pullies, especially if your gonna run some big WATTS in the stereo and dorn't forget that dash melting TXs heat. If you want some cheap HP, convert your power steering to manual (loop the pump input and output, and the rack input and output then remove all access parts).

Oh, and never run 3" exhaust on a 6 cyl or a 4 cyl unless your boosted. The loss in exhaust gas velocities will kill the gains from your header. I can't remember the precise #'s, but it's something like - 2" pipe on a 4 cyl, 2.5" on a 6 cyl, and 3" on a 8 cyl. It really goes by displacement, but like I said and can't remember the exact numbers.

Quik
Old 08-20-2002, 11:42 AM   #24
TonitrusEN
4th Gear

Do you think the greddy catback 2 1/2 i have is killing my power? It doesnt seem to have alot of backpressure, i mean im only in a 1.5 sohc.. is it just too big?

My Baby

Unbelievable...

Quote:
Anonymous: Yea but a car has 4 heads, so it's headers!

Me: Or.. you could say that a car has one head...
TonitrusEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2002, 02:15 PM   #25
spoogenet

Quote:
Originally posted by quik
I think your headed in the right direction. Forget the header, Honda makes great exhaust manifolds for what your doing with the car. But, they sound like crap, so get a good cat back system or else you'll be BUZZZZZZING around town with some cheap a$$ exhaust . Forget the pullies, especially if your gonna run some big WATTS in the stereo and dorn't forget that dash melting TXs heat. If you want some cheap HP, convert your power steering to manual (loop the pump input and output, and the rack input and output then remove all access parts).

Oh, and never run 3" exhaust on a 6 cyl or a 4 cyl unless your boosted. The loss in exhaust gas velocities will kill the gains from your header. I can't remember the precise #'s, but it's something like - 2" pipe on a 4 cyl, 2.5" on a 6 cyl, and 3" on a 8 cyl. It really goes by displacement, but like I said and can't remember the exact numbers.

Quik

I'm still working on the "good catback" system.....I want more options than just Apexi and Greddy....I'm starting to think more of maybe trying to get a Brullen.....for Remus I should get one of the guys at work to translate the German for me, the folks at Remus don't do a good job of it. For pipe diameter, though, I would hope that the exhaust companies would actually do some testing to ensure that the diameter piping they use maximizes gains.....but one never really knows.

My car's going to look and perform better before I'll be working on the tunes. My bro had a pretty large system in his '95 with NO problems running the pulleys, in fact his lights barely even dimmed....of course he had a monster capacitor as well. If the dash is gonna melt in TX heat, it's gonna melt no matter what I do to fix up the ride, no? Unless you are referring to underdriving the A/C, but the Tru Power pulleys don't underdrive the A/C anyways.

I've thought about ditching the PS.....anybody done that? I'd be worried that something in the steering system would fail if I did that.....not sure how much torque it's all designed to handle since it was designed to use PS. I don't just want it for power, I also think my steering wheel is just too easy to turn.....

b
Old 08-23-2002, 12:27 AM   #26
ArixSin

After finding a HUGE hole in the pipe right behind my muffler, I knew that I desperately needed some exhaust work done on my car to pass inspection. I had already bought a new muffler, just didn't get around to getting it instaled. Well, when the hole got the point where I didn't have enough backpressure to keep the engine from stalling at a redlight, I decided it was time. I have yet to hear anybody mention this brand, but I got it, and I love it. I got an OBX B5 Bomber. I must say, it's sounds, and looks beautiful. I only got Axel back piping put on A: low on $$$, and B: on a 97 Civic EX, cat back isn't going to do much more than axel back. If I ever get headers, I'll get the rest upgraded. The OBX has a really nice deep, throaty sound. As hard is this is to believe, I really did notice a difference after getting it put on. Not only did getting the piping fixed cure my stalling problem, but the car also responds much better off the line, and while accelerating in the whole low and high RPM ranges. I will admit, I was a bit sceptical getting OBX, but I am REALLY happy with it now. Let me know your thoughts on my recent upgrade.
Old 09-09-2002, 09:56 PM   #27
mikeperrette

Dude I have a 97 civic I bought a universal muffler for about 100 dollors and had my muffler shop run new 2 1/2 pipeing from the cat back and it sounds just like a thermal and made a huge improvment and cost was under 200 bucks. The web site was splittingimagez.com check it out.splittingimagez.com