::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2002, 07:04 PM   #1
Jaguar

Best Mods and First Mods

Ok Look guys. I have a '99 Honda Accord Lx 4cyl (2.3l vtec) 5spd. Well I have had it a week and I don't know what I want to do as my first mod. I am not sure yet if I want to go NA or FI or even go with N20. I have 61k miles on it and the cluth and tranny is good. I plan on later down the road doing a complete rebuild with the motor and have it borged and stroked. I thought of getting a cold air intake system but that would come with a turbo if i got one. And the same with a header. So I am completely lost on what I should do first. The car runs fine I don't need a tune up or nothing. The money isn't that big of a problem cuz I am going to go with the best no matter what the cost even if I have to save up for 2 years. Any Info would be great and thanks very much everyone.
Old 03-19-2002, 01:46 AM   #2
2ndGenTeg
4th Gear

You can't put an intake or header on with a turbo- you just can't. If you buy either of them now, they'll just come out when the turbo goes in. The only thing you can do if you don't yet know the direction of the engine is an exhaust.

Don't stroke the engine- it's a bad idea.

Bore it, turbo it, and it will haul ass.

Until you make up your mind on what direction you want to go with the engine, just start with suspension. Lower it, fix the camber, and hopefully by then you'll know what you want to do with the engine.
2ndGenTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2002, 06:23 PM   #3
AzCivic

I agree with 2ndgenteg go with suspension and exhaust and then save for the turbo.

I was just wondering why is it bad to have the engine stroked??
AzCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2002, 06:30 PM   #4
Jaguar

Yeah I am wondering the exact same thing. why is it so bad to have it stroked??
Old 03-20-2002, 03:31 PM   #5
2ndGenTeg
4th Gear

Because stroking the engine gives it a horrendously low rod/stroke ratio. That, in turn, will do a number of things:

-put more stress on your engine's internals (rods, cylinder walls, bearings), killing reliability
-when there is more side loading of the cylinder walls, they actually flex, resulting in blow-by
-because of the added stress on engine internals, it drastically lowers your redline

This is just a quick list of the "highlights" of stroking the engine. LS/VTEC is little more than a mildly stroked GSR. The displacement is increased from 1797 to 1834cc, but the rod ratio is decreased from 1.58 to 1.54. Now you know why I'm so vehemently opposed to LS/VTEC.
2ndGenTeg is offline   Reply With Quote