::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2002, 03:58 PM   #1
hondabob

Ignition of fuel computer?

Which should I purchase next. A apexi fuel/vtec controller, or a MSD SCI with rev limiter? I have only I/H/E and will get turbo in future. Help please? What is the next logical step?
Old 03-16-2002, 02:14 AM   #2
2ndGenTeg
4th Gear

A V-AFC won't do anything without first upgrading your camshafts. The stock fuel map is optimized for emissions and power, and the stock VTEC crossover point is optimized for the camshafts. Stock camshafts= ZERO gain from a V-AFC.

An ignition won't do a whole lot of good, either. It may make your car idle a little smoother, but gains will be minimal, if at all. And why get a rev limiter? Your stock ECU already has one. You only need the limiter on the ignition if the ECU doesn't have one.

With an I/H/E, planning to go turbo, I'd just save for the turbo. Anything else you could do would be money wasted either before or after it arrives. By this I mean gains would slim to none until the turbo is added into the equation (ignition, a/f controller), or they would be useless or detrimental once the turbo is installed (intake, header, camshafts).

I was in the same boat- trying to decide what I wanted to do in the mean time while I planned to turbo sometime in the future. There's not a lot, and if you did every bolt on in the book, you still wouldn't get anything impressive. My advice: quit buying bolt ons, and save for your big power adder, whether it be turbo, all motor, a swap, or whatever. I wish someone had told me that a couple thousand dollars ago.
2ndGenTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2002, 02:39 PM   #3
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

MSD 6AL
-Save yourself the money. The SCI-L is an identical unit (minor voltage drop).

Make sure you upgrade the coil & wires too......