Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance > Nitrous
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2002, 09:35 PM   #1
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Post Ignition Review

Just thought I’d share my experience with all of you on my recent ignition upgrade. I am not a technical writer, but I’ll give this a shot.

Equipment
MSD 6AL $172.95
www.summitracing.com
NGK Wires $57.50
www.coximport.com
MSD Blaster 3 Coil $31.95
www.summitracing.com
MSD Pro Cap Distributor Cap $29.95
www.summitracing.com
Coil Bracket $5.95
www.summitracing.com
TOTAL $298.30

The Vehicle
2000 Civic Si
see signature for mods…

The installation is pretty straight forward. I do recommend that you have Helms manual or some sort of reference just in case. The hardest part of the entire installation was finding a spot to mount the 6AL itself. The box is a mammoth. I finally decided to mount it in the cabin. Its mounted on the passengers side firewall. Its out of sight & out of kicking distance (thanks again GSRwBOOST for the idea). The installation shouldn’t take more than about 2 hours. Time for the test.

After letting the car warm up, I noticed that it idles very smoothly. Another thing you will notice (depending on your mounting place) is that the ignition makes a ticking noise. At first this really annoyed me, but I eventually got used to it. Now I even listen to it as I rev the engine (it gets faster the higher the RPMs go). As I rolled out on to the street, everything seemed the same as before. “Oh great. Another worthless mod.” So I took it to the highway.

My opinion changed. The car accelerated very smoothly. The gear transitions were very fluid (this was done prior to my short shifter & bushings). Though no drivetrain upgrades were done, there was a noticeable difference between shifts.

I decided to test the built in Soft Touch Rev Limiter feature next. I used the 8000 RPM module. The 2000 Si redlines at 8200 RPM. The difference between the Soft touch Rev Limiter & your existing rev limiter is that your existing rev limiter is a fuel cut off while this is spark based. Meaning that rather than choke your engine but stopping fuel flow, it alternates cylinder firing. Much safer than fuel cut off (especially with forced induction or nitrous). Let’s just say you will definitely know when you hit this. A rather horrid sound comes from your engine.

Gas mileage. All I have to is wow. I am very amazed that it improved my gas mileage. MSD does state that it does increase the gas mileage, but how times can we believe the manufacturers on this claim? This time we can. My average miles per gallon went from 22 to 29. A seven mile per gallon increase. I am not a grandma driver either. My right foot is made of solid lead (my traffic record backs me up on this one).

Overall I would have to say that this is a very worthwhile purchase. As far as power gains go, there are little if any to be gained from this. So if you’re looking for a power mod, this isn’t it. This is definitely a smart purchase if you are running nitrous or forced induction. So do I think its worth the $300? Most definitely.

If anyone has a questions, let me know. Hopefully someone will get some use of this.

**********EDIT
Pictures of the ignition

Last edited by Addict : 03-14-2002 at 09:53 PM.
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 09:46 PM   #2
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Thanks for the review Civic_Addict. It answered a couple of questions I had.

Edit: The pictures look great too

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--

Last edited by 94_AcCoRd_EX : 03-14-2002 at 11:27 PM.
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 11:23 PM   #3
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

thanks for the info. what ignition should go in my accord. it kind of sucks on gas mileage ~20mpg and a rough idle. So far i have the NGK wires and the YEK cap and rotor (did u hear of yec ?)

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2002, 07:00 AM   #4
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Quote:
Originally posted by hondaman-iac
thanks for the info. what ignition should go in my accord. it kind of sucks on gas mileage ~20mpg and a rough idle. So far i have the NGK wires and the YEK cap and rotor (did u hear of yec ?)

I would suggest the MSD 6A. You don't need the rev limiter unless you plan of FI or nitrous. As far as coils go, you could use the Blaster SS Coil. You will actually pay a little more for that than the Blaster 3 coil. The advantage of teh SS is that its easier to find a place to mount it. The Blaster 3 is very tall.

MSD also has a SCI version. I can't find any differences between this & the 6A except that the 6A can handle more voltage.

And no, I've heard of Yek. If you add an external coil, you'll have to change/modify the cap.

Last edited by Addict : 03-15-2002 at 07:06 AM.
Old 03-18-2002, 12:51 PM   #5
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

actually my car has an external coil ( the one with 5 wires) my problem will be modifing the coil harness. i have 4 wires going into the coil and only one going out to the dist cap. What did u hear of yec ? are they any good ?

Old 03-18-2002, 02:16 PM   #6
Mr Sleeper

for f/i type engines, get the MSD6BTM. retards timing for every pound of boost.
Old 03-18-2002, 02:32 PM   #7
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Quote:
actually my car has an external coil ( the one with 5 wires) my problem will be modifing the coil harness. i have 4 wires going into the coil and only one going out to the dist cap. What did u hear of yec ? are they any good ?

If you replace the coil, two of the wires goto the MSD ignition unit & two will goto the new coil. The single wire will goto the top of the coil.

Sorry I had a typo. I hadn't heard of Yec is what I meant to type.
Old 03-18-2002, 02:34 PM   #8
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Sleeper
for f/i type engines, get the MSD6BTM. retards timing for every pound of boost.

I believe you can add the BTM module. I don't have my MSD book in front of me though. But yeah the BTM is definately a good choice for FI applications.

Last edited by Addict : 03-18-2002 at 04:41 PM.
Old 03-18-2002, 04:42 PM   #9
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Just checked. You can add the BTM to the MSD ignitions (PN 8762).
Old 03-18-2002, 07:48 PM   #10
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

i'm NA

Old 03-25-2002, 06:01 PM   #11
Triggedy

How about just getting a little better driveablility out of my car...quicker starting and better mpg? I wouldn't have to add the Ignition control unit would I? Just need the Blaster SS or 3 and the MSD Distributor Cap?
Old 03-25-2002, 06:20 PM   #12
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Quote:
Originally posted by Triggedy
How about just getting a little better driveablility out of my car...quicker starting and better mpg? I wouldn't have to add the Ignition control unit would I? Just need the Blaster SS or 3 and the MSD Distributor Cap?

Yes you do. The ignition unit is resposible for make multiple sparks rather than one long spark. That's what affects mileage & starts. the coil allows for a more powerful version. Honda coils are fairly weak to start with anyhow.
Old 03-25-2002, 06:25 PM   #13
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Just an update. Here's my MPG for my last 3 fillups.
28 MPG
29 MPG
26 MPG

Average of 27.6 MPG.

Considering I have a very heavy foot this is pretty good. My previous MPG was 22. That's about a 15% increase. Not too shabby....
Old 03-25-2002, 09:28 PM   #14
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

Quote:
Originally posted by Civic_Addict

Yes you do. The ignition unit is resposible for make multiple sparks rather than one long spark. That's what affects mileage & starts. the coil allows for a more powerful version. Honda coils are fairly weak to start with anyhow.

what do u mean with multiple sparks ? i don't get it at all. once the rotor is not connected to that carbon thingie in the cap you can't have anymore sparks. how does it work ?

Old 03-25-2002, 10:17 PM   #15
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Quote:

what do u mean with multiple sparks ? i don't get it at all. once the rotor is not connected to that carbon thingie in the cap you can't have anymore sparks. how does it work ?

It sends the multiple sparks when the rotor rotates over teh contact point. Yes in that short of period of time.
Old 03-25-2002, 10:31 PM   #16
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

ok thanks for clearing this up for me. Does a stcok car hgave a ignition box or something like that ? i couldn't see any on mine, except the coil and the distribuitor with all it's parts

Old 03-26-2002, 07:47 AM   #17
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Quote:
ok thanks for clearing this up for me. Does a stcok car hgave a ignition box or something like that ? i couldn't see any on mine, except the [u]coil and the distribuitor[u/] with all it's parts

Yes they do. The "parts" in the distributor do what the MSD ignition units do (of course much less effectively).
Old 04-04-2002, 09:34 PM   #18
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

looking at the rotor inside the distribuitor the contact area seems to be fairly large like 60 degrees of a circle or something like that, so i think the multiple spark thing will work.

did u get a chance to get some pictures of the inside of a distributor ?

Old 10-21-2002, 08:41 AM   #19
cashizslick

Do you have any info on the MSD digital SCI Plus? I know it is a new version of the digital SCI, but how reliable is it's Nitrous retard, and does it retard the spark in relation to the ammount of Nitrous?
Old 10-21-2002, 08:57 AM   #20
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Quote:
Originally posted by cashizslick
Do you have any info on the MSD digital SCI Plus? I know it is a new version of the digital SCI, but how reliable is it's Nitrous retard, and does it retard the spark in relation to the ammount of Nitrous?

You can bet that the retard its reliable. I'm digging up some more tech facts on it. I'll get back to you with some details. Kinda funny though that MSD doesn't even list the degree of retard on their site.
Old 10-22-2002, 02:38 PM   #21
cashizslick

Quote:
You can bet that the retard its reliable. I'm digging up some more tech facts on it. I'll get back to you with some details. Kinda funny though that MSD doesn't even list the degree of retard on their site.

Thats what i was thinkin. I have the newest MSD catalog, and all it says is that it will automatically cut back the spark if nitrous gets ingected. My guess is that it is an automatic retard and the degress are cut in relation to the nitours that is shot.

In my town, all the people at the street races with civics use nitrous and have this iginition.
Old 10-22-2002, 08:28 PM   #22
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Info on the SCI+

The SCI+ can retard up to 9.9 degrees. Not too shabby. That'd work up to about 100 shot, give or take a bit. That's just an estimate. It varies on each kit.

Now if you add the retard module to the 6AL you can retard up to 20 degrees. Just a thought.
Old 10-24-2002, 02:26 PM   #23
cashizslick

Re: Info on the SCI+

Quote:
The SCI+ can retard up to 9.9 degrees. Not too shabby. That'd work up to about 100 shot, give or take a bit. That's just an estimate. It varies on each kit.

Now if you add the retard module to the 6AL you can retard up to 20 degrees. Just a thought.

Is the 6AL retard kit activated by a switch the driver hits or is it automatic?
Old 10-24-2002, 02:55 PM   #24
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Re: Re: Info on the SCI+

Quote:
Is the 6AL retard kit activated by a switch the driver hits or is it automatic?

Automatic. It connects to the nitrous solenoid. As soon as it activates, it it retards...
MSD Part# 8982
Old 10-27-2002, 12:46 PM   #25
cashizslick

Re: Re: Re: Info on the SCI+

Quote:
Automatic. It connects to the nitrous solenoid. As soon as it activates, it it retards...
MSD Part# 8982

Not a bad deal, but it sounds impractical for anybody who is not running over a 125 shot. (20 Degrees?!?!?!?!? WOW)
Old 10-27-2002, 04:00 PM   #26
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Re: Re: Re: Re: Info on the SCI+

Quote:
Not a bad deal, but it sounds impractical for anybody who is not running over a 125 shot. (20 Degrees?!?!?!?!? WOW)

Its adjustable up to 20 degrees.
Old 10-27-2002, 06:00 PM   #27
ShEaNy

i just bought some NGK plugs, Talyor 8mm wires, and a MSD 6A box...anything else i should look into getting? oh yea plus a new stock dist cap and rotor and pcv valve..(or pvc?)
ShEaNy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 06:14 PM   #28
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

Quote:
Originally posted by sheany_91accord
i just bought some NGK plugs, Talyor 8mm wires, and a MSD 6A box...anything else i should look into getting? oh yea plus a new stock dist cap and rotor and pcv valve..(or pvc?)

a coil

Old 10-27-2002, 10:10 PM   #29
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Quote:

MSD Blaster 2 or 3 Coil
or
MSD Blaster SS Coil
Old 10-27-2002, 10:57 PM   #30
ShEaNy

k thanks do they make MSD Dist cap for mine like the one u have civic? if they do ill prolly get that..
Old 10-28-2002, 12:01 AM   #31
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

doesn't your accord have an internal coil ? you will have to get like a 92-93 cap to have the external coil, or you could get the crane cap and rotors.

Old 10-28-2002, 05:43 AM   #32
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Quote:
k thanks do they make MSD Dist cap for mine like the one u have civic? if they do ill prolly get that..

Crane Cap & Rotor Set
CRN-730-0694 $65.95

I don't think MSD has one for your year Accord. The Crane one will work though. Gives you a new rotor as well.
Old 10-28-2002, 04:19 PM   #33
cashizslick

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Info on the SCI+

Quote:
Its adjustable up to 20 degrees.

I know, but why spend all that money (im assuming it's expensive) if your only gonna go to a 75 or 100 shot? How much is all that anyway?
Old 10-28-2002, 05:01 PM   #34
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Info on the SCI+

Quote:
I know, but why spend all that money (im assuming it's expensive) if your only gonna go to a 75 or 100 shot? How much is all that anyway?

I'm always one for overkill.
$118.95 from Summit Racing
Old 10-28-2002, 05:05 PM   #35
ShEaNy

70 bucks U.S. = 100+ canadian....hmm i think ill stick with the new stock one for now....
Old 11-01-2002, 06:12 PM   #36
ShEaNy

got the 8mm wires today...just need the 6A box and maybe that Crane cap and rotor....still might run off of a new stock cap and rotor...any thoughts?
Old 11-01-2002, 06:32 PM   #37
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Quote:
got the 8mm wires today...just need the 6A box and maybe that Crane cap and rotor....still might run off of a new stock cap and rotor...any thoughts?

The stock cap & rotor will work. You'll want to put a small hole in teh top to run you wires out to the 6A. Just use some silicone on it. The high heat version.
Old 11-02-2002, 01:11 AM   #38
ShEaNy

k thanks .. i think imma get the guys at Motion Performance to do it cause i get the five finger discount...hehe
Old 04-18-2004, 01:10 AM   #39
gsrchad

question..... you say you got 22mpg now 29 as a high...

is that average? on my civic, with the gsr swap, i still got an average of 31mpg on every tank. thats with a heavy foot. averaging 100+ on the freeways, and taking avantage of the rpms..... i know i could get 33 or so. does that sound right?