::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2002, 06:15 PM   #1
jewbacca

turbo

Considering putting turbo in my car guys, running ~8 pounds, nothing huge, just want a little more go
But i have 170,000kms. Its running a little rough right now (occasionally stalling because RPM's drop too low when clutch is in), getting a tune up this weekend, gunna see how things are after. Am I an idiot for slappin a turbo on this beast, or should I swap/put new rings in?
Old 03-12-2002, 06:20 PM   #2
Mr Sleeper

what kind of car do you have.
Old 03-12-2002, 10:42 PM   #3
2ndGenTeg
4th Gear

I never recommend turboing after 100,000 miles- you're asking to blow the engine. Think about it- the engine already has 170K km of wear on it- how much longer is it going to last running 8 psi? I'd swap/rebuild the engine first, then turbo it.
2ndGenTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 08:57 AM   #4
jewbacca

Thats what i thought. 4th Gen Lude
Old 03-13-2002, 09:50 AM   #5
juvenile

I believe it was 2ndGenTeg
Old 03-13-2002, 10:34 AM   #6
jewbacca

No, that is my car
Old 03-13-2002, 10:36 AM   #7
jewbacca

Hey, if I replace my piston rings, will that get my engine into decent/turbo shape?
Don't know much about the actual insides of an engine.
What else can wear and tear?
Old 03-13-2002, 02:11 PM   #8
2ndGenTeg
4th Gear

Rods, pistons, cylinder walls, valvetrain, crankshaft...

Replace or rebuild.
Old 03-13-2002, 02:42 PM   #9
jewbacca

Now here's a question
Whats cheaper, fixing everything or just buying another h23
Keeping in mind the headache it might cause me to get this labour done on my existing engine
Old 03-14-2002, 09:39 AM   #10
jewbacca

This might give me an excuse to get V-TEC. Turbo that and I'll fly!
Anyone in the market for an H23 with 170,000 K?
Old 03-15-2002, 01:40 PM   #11
2ndGenTeg
4th Gear

I'd rebuild it. A rebuilt engine will be better than new, and probably cheaper. Think about it- If you rebuild, you'l use all stronger parts- forged rods and pistons, stiffer valvesprings, etc, etc- where as if you just replaced, you'd have the stock internals.

As for your idling problem, try adjusting the IACV on the throttle body- it should fix your problem. If it doesn't, just replace the EACV. It'll take all of half an hour and cost you maybe $50.
Old 03-15-2002, 01:48 PM   #12
jewbacca

Good point, new engines still have to get worn in and everything. I guess I got quite the project on my hands. I can buy these parts locally, for the most part I think. Unless I can find them cheaper on E-Bay or groupbuycentre
Thanks for the info guys, Cheers!
Old 03-15-2002, 02:08 PM   #13
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

Quote:
Originally posted by 2ndGenTeg
I'd rebuild it. A rebuilt engine will be better than new, and probably cheaper. Think about it- If you rebuild, you'l use all stronger parts- forged rods and pistons, stiffer valvesprings, etc, etc- where as if you just replaced, you'd have the stock internals.

As for your idling problem, try adjusting the IACV on the throttle body- it should fix your problem. If it doesn't, just replace the EACV. It'll take all of half an hour and cost you maybe $50.

he said that he does not know too much about engine internals, so that means that the labor is gonna kill him (pricewise) plus a h23 is about $1600 with about 30k miles on it. a new engine set is 500-600 (pistons, rings, pins), the rods are another $400-600, but hey his engine is gonna kick some major ass.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2002, 05:57 PM   #14
jewbacca

Not to say I can't learn. I would love to take the whole summer fixing up my car. Every week or so, buy a new part, take a day or 2 to learn how to install it and do it up. It's just that I have this sick fascination with the blow-off valve sound!
hondaman, you mentioned an 'engine kit' that comes with everything 'cept new rods. Happen to know a company that can hook me up? I might as well get the parts soon, then I don't have to wait for the parts once the snow melts (Canada). I'm so stoked, you guys have been a helping hand in making up my mind! Happy St. Patty's, don't drink and drive your phat cars! Nothing wrong with this though ---->