::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2002, 07:18 PM   #1
Rocket

Golden Eagle Sleeving

I am taking some B series blocks to Golden Eagle Manufacturing to get sleeved in a couple weeks

If any of you are in the Los Angeles area and would like to get your block sleeved for $684 let me know and I can add your block to my set.

Contact me via e-mail if you are interested.

Late.
Old 02-05-2002, 12:55 AM   #2
2ndGenTeg
4th Gear

Not in LA, not anytime in the relatively near future, but will they do any bore I want? I'm currently debating between an 84-86mm bore, and I know I want them to do it. Rumor I've heard is that they won't do anything past 84mm. Also, do they weld the new sleeves to the block like Gorilla? Just curious, for now.
2ndGenTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2002, 12:31 PM   #3
Rocket

84 or 85 mm Bore

You can safely run 85mm Bore using a 85mm bore Cometic head gasket.

Head gasket sealing is a bigger concern with the larger bores than cylinder strength as the sleeves are pretty strong due to the manufacturing process of being centrifigully spun cast. (creates a denser cylinder).

As for welding, you don't need the plate that JG puts on their blocks. Golden Eagle sleeves are located by tangs placed in betwen the sleeve and CNC'd inner portion of the water jacket allowing for a modified opend deck that allows for more even cylinder cooling and less heat retention in the upper cylinder. This prevents detonation as the end gases near the cylinder walls are exposed to less heat.

Late,
Old 02-05-2002, 01:57 PM   #4
2ndGenTeg
4th Gear

I know. I've just never seen one.

But they don't do 86mm, eh? Hmmm.... Might have to give AEBS a call.
2ndGenTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 11:34 AM   #5
Rocket

86mm Bore

They'll do 86mm bores but cyclinder spacing is pretty narrow and you'll be risking head gasket leakage. For race it's ok but for street this would be a pain in the ass.

ABS uses the Darton kit which closes the deck with the flanged sleeves. Good for race but not good for street.

I've seen plenty of motors overheat with the closed decks.

Late,
Old 02-09-2002, 07:42 AM   #6
Boosted3g

You can go up to 87mm with GE B series blocks. Like what was stated before 85mm is about all you want to go for truly reliable performance. Also if you do go with the 85mm pistons you can just use a B20 gasket and more importantly the o-ringing is perfectly placed with that gasket. It is an 85mm bore. I know the B20 has a 84mm bore but the gasket is 85mm, trust me my block is sleeved 85mm by GE. I think this is a great price and anyone in the area may want to jump on it.
Old 02-12-2002, 11:25 AM   #7
Rocket

Your Set Up

Nice block. What is your setup?
Old 02-13-2002, 06:48 PM   #8
juvenile

Ok could any possibly explain what they are talking about?
Old 02-13-2002, 08:04 PM   #9
Boosted3g

ok heres my block

85mm GE sleeved LS block
JE 10.5:1 pistons
Crower rods
Z10 girdle
Moroso oil pan
itr oil and water pump

its not a bad block. Im sure it will take a pounding. I think im going to run the Power FC again this year but im not sure. I have training in NJ this weekend on the new AEM standalone. It will be an all day thing and then AEM is taking us over to Bullish Racing for an install and to play around for a little.
Old 02-14-2002, 12:07 PM   #10
Rocket

What were talking about.

Click here to see a pic.

www.goldeneaglemfg.com/sleeves.htm

This place completely removes the cylinders out of your Honda block and precision installs full iron cylinders. Nice stuff.
Old 02-14-2002, 02:22 PM   #11
juvenile

Ok but what's with the sizes? 84-85-86mm etc.
How does the size apply here?
What are the pros and cons of a bigger or smaller cylinder?
Old 02-14-2002, 04:34 PM   #12
Boosted3g

For a B Series motor you can do anything from 81mm-87mm. The pros are more power added with the larger displacement. The down side is the possibility of blowing a head gasket if you go to big and have tuning issues (detonation and such). I went with an 85mm bore and thats about i would go if your planning on throwing some boost at it (i plan to run near 30 psi with mine). To me this is a hell of a deal. YOu get the added strength, same r/s ratio because your only changing bore, and its fairly inexpensive due to the gains that you acheive with it.
Old 02-14-2002, 05:48 PM   #13
juvenile

How much more gas would you end up using extra?

Like if you add I/H/E, turbo, and this how much extra gas would you use up on a Civic Si instead of a stock one?
Old 02-14-2002, 06:52 PM   #14
Boosted3g

Its hard to say. If you boost high and are always boosting your gonna use a ton of gas. Hell i can burn a quarter tank of gas in 5 quarter mile passes. I have been known in the past to use a bit of methanol in the tank though.
Old 03-12-2002, 12:31 PM   #15
bokeylude

what is detonation?? the engine blowing up? cathing fire? just straight up break? any of these? help