::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2002, 03:09 PM   #1
se-r turbo

toluene: octane booster?

whats the haps on toluene, I've heard that it's some kind of paint stripper that you can buy at paint stores that supposed to increase octane levels for boosted cars. I guess your supposed to use a certain amount of toluene when you fill up with premium gas and you can increase octane levels about 15-20 points...which would mean if you put in 91 octane then you should get 92.5 -93 octane fuel after you put in about 20-30%toluene(from a gallon) with a full tank of gas. I've heard stories of this stuff really working....quite well in fact. I'm thinkin about doin this...If anyone knows more about this stuff, reply.
Old 04-20-2002, 11:40 AM   #2
Boosted3g

Yeah its works but its not the most economical. If im not mistaken Tolune has an octane of right around 118. Just about all paint stripers or removers have it in them. Another good one to try is some stuff called xylene or something close to that. Me personally would jut go buy some c-12 or c-16, it will work better.
Old 04-20-2002, 02:52 PM   #3
se-r turbo

so can I buy some paint stripper from like Home depot and put a certain percentage in my tank? also where can I find some xylene and c-12 and c-16 what exactly is it?
Old 04-22-2002, 06:52 AM   #4
Boosted3g

C12 and C16 are made by VP Racing Fuels. Xylene can also be found at Home Depot just check all the ingredients of whatever your dumping in. For the amount of money your going to spend for that stuff get the real deal.
Old 04-22-2002, 03:17 PM   #5
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Why are you wanting to raise the octane level? You don't gain anything by raising the level. Except some additional protection from detonation.
I'm not willing to chance putting tolulene in my tank. Dunno, maybe I'm missing something....
Old 04-22-2002, 09:54 PM   #6
se-r turbo

?????

Quote:
Originally posted by Civic_Addict
Why are you wanting to raise the octane level? You don't gain anything by raising the level. Except some additional protection from detonation.
I'm not willing to chance putting tolulene in my tank. Dunno, maybe I'm missing something....

You said it yourself, additional protection from detonation. I only want to use toluene for the strip when I raise the boost past 16psi.....It's not wise to run a turbo car past 16 psi on just 91 octane. I've heard that timeslips do improve when you mix toluene with premo gasoline.
Old 04-23-2002, 07:23 AM   #7
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Re: ?????

Quote:
Originally posted by se-r turbo

You said it yourself, additional protection from detonation. I only want to use toluene for the strip when I raise the boost past 16psi.....It's not wise to run a turbo car past 16 psi on just 91 octane. I've heard that timeslips do improve when you mix toluene with premo gasoline.

Ahh.. Didn't realize you were boosting that much. Yeah I don't think I'd be running 16psi on 91 octane either.....