::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2002, 01:56 PM   #1
bokeylude

cai

if i were to rigg somthing where the incomming air passed through a box before it went to the intake, and in that box i had dry ice, would that help my proformance because i read somewhere that if you cool the air temp by 11 degrees you would have a hp gain by 1% will this work. would the dry ice fvck shit up? is this just a dumb idea? let me know
Old 03-12-2002, 02:00 PM   #2
Maxvla

i don;t know if it would help but it certainly wouldnt last long.
Old 03-12-2002, 04:13 PM   #3
2ndGenTeg
4th Gear

Maybe if you could figure out a way so that the gas from the ice wouldn't be ingested into the charge air- I can't imagine that extra CO2 would be good for combustion.
2ndGenTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 10:46 PM   #4
bokeylude

well i thought about it and i would definately have to find a way to insulate it because it would freeze the pipes and shatter them but also block the gases because it would freeze the gas that would defet the pupose but the ice is also made out of liquid nitrogen wouldent that be like a shot of nos????
Old 03-13-2002, 12:44 PM   #5
Mushroom

Cool idea, but...
- You'd have to have a sealed pipe through your chiller (dry ice) chamber, so the O2 content in combustion wasn't reduced by the evaporating CO2.
- The intake air is coming in to quickly to cool enough through the length of cold pipe to make a difference.

A cryogenic chiller would be fun, but methinks it would drain more power than it would add.

What about a sleeve around the entire length of the intake pipe, cooled by some compressed gas? Small weight addition, no power drain, maybe a bit of a hazard in case of a wreck...
Old 03-13-2002, 02:17 PM   #6
2ndGenTeg
4th Gear

1. Dry Ice is frozen carbon dioxide, not nitrogen.
2. NOS (nitrous oxide- NO2) doesn't cool charge air- it makes it much more combustible. That's where the power comes from.

Some friends and I came up with this idea:

Reroute the freon from the a/c to a tube that spirals around the intake tube. Before each race, run the a/c for like 5 minutes. Voila! A chilled intake. Then just before the race begins, turn the a/c off so you don't suffer from the associated parasitic drag.
Old 03-14-2002, 08:43 PM   #7
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

There won't be any noticable gains from the dry ice method or cooling via the AC. Think about the additional weight in equipment you would add. This would negate any increases in power.

The best way to lower your intake charge is to run N2O. Plain & simple. That and you get that nice HP increase side effect of it all......
Old 03-15-2002, 01:45 PM   #8
2ndGenTeg
4th Gear

Copper tubing? Maybe half a pound. At .1 increase in ET per 100 lbs, that's a lost .0005 seconds. It's not as easy as just sticking ice on the tube, but I think it would work.

And I guess I mispoke- nitrous does have an intercooling effect- about 75 degrees- but that's not where the power really comes from.
Old 03-15-2002, 02:10 PM   #9
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

why don't you hook up the inatke to the ac vents j/k. i still think that turbo is better

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2002, 09:36 PM   #10
AzCivic

What about that thing that sprays a fine mist of water into the intake? Wouldn't that just be easier and it already comes in a kit.
AzCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2002, 10:46 PM   #11
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Quote:
Originally posted by AzCivic
What about that thing that sprays a fine mist of water into the intake? Wouldn't that just be easier and it already comes in a kit.

Yeah it would. But do you honestly think that water is going to cool the intake enough to make a noticable difference? Very doubtful or else we'd see them stocked in every store & everyone would have one.
Old 03-16-2002, 02:23 AM   #12
2ndGenTeg
4th Gear

LOL- actually, I was thinking hydrolock.

It's the evaporation of water that causes a cooling effect. So in order to get a cooling effect by spraying water, you'd have to turn around and heat it to the point that it evaporated. Retro-active.

And it's not on store shelves because it wouldn't cool anything, it's not on shelves because if people went around spraying water into their engines, you'd hydrolock before you knew what happened.

The best intake setup I ever saw was at the track. This guy custom built an intake that required the headlight to be removed. The intake then went through the hole and out in front of the car about a foot, where the filter was mounted. So not only did he get cool charge air, but he also had a ram air effect of sorts (Even though you have to be traveling at Mach .5 to get any true boost from ram air). When he was done at the track, he bolted on his short ram, popped the headlight back on, and went home. Pretty cool, eh?
Old 03-16-2002, 12:08 PM   #13
AzCivic

Truthfully, I don't know much about them. All I know is that the mist is so fine that when it gets near the cylinder it evaporates maybe thats the evaporating that 2ndgenteg was talking about. And if it evaporates then it shouldn't harm the engine. I think its more for turbocharged engines too.
Old 03-16-2002, 12:49 PM   #14
AzCivic

Liquid Intercooling System

Kill detonation – not performance! Forced induction increases throttle response and power throughout the entire rpm range. Unfortunately, more power equals more heat! Most people simply retard the timing to lower the heat, which results in power loss. Our liquid intercooling water injection system gives you the best of both worlds, with highly advanced timing for horsepower and a mist of water that lowers temperatures by 69-100 degrees.

This is a descrition of one that Jackson Racing makes.