::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2001, 07:44 PM   #1
ced_jr10

need upgrade help

hello all. i'm thinkin' about swappin' my '91 crx's stock D-whatever block for a 1st gen. b16. there's a great site regarding the swap in the crx forum. look for racing rice. now to the point of this string. what are some of the basic, and some of the more complex upgrades i can make to my crx that would increase it's performance capabilities? (exhaust system, headers, intake, turbos, etc.) any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-17-2001, 11:53 AM   #2
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

IMO... A turbo is going to give you one of the best bangs for your buck. Itll allow you to gradually grow and make more power, its very easy to increase the power with a turbo setup.
Old 12-17-2001, 01:49 PM   #3
BlazinCrx

Turbo is the way to go, you an also do an exhaust, cam gears, pulleys, nos, all kinds of stuff
Old 12-18-2001, 02:59 AM   #4
2ndGenTeg
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally posted by BlazinCrx
Turbo is the way to go, you an also do an exhaust, cam gears, pulleys, nos, all kinds of stuff

An exhaust would be the only thing you could do that would be compatible, whatever direction you decide to go. The problem with an intake and header is that they would be discarded when the turbo arrived. If even if you decide to just go with a B16A swap, the header won't transfer- the exhaust ports are different. I believe the intake would still work, as the throttle body location would remain the same.

A turbo can be worked and improved upon, to a point. Eventually, you will reach the limits of your particular engine- at which point you will need to rebuild it. The D series internals are the weakest Honda makes. Sure, they can be upgraded, but it doesn't it make more sense to start with a stronger engine that has more potential, and build that up? I would do the swap to a B series engine first, and then do the turbo.

If you're interested in all motor, let me know. I can go on for days about that, too, but you seem more like the turbo type to me.
2ndGenTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2001, 05:48 PM   #5
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Quote:
Originally posted by 2ndGenTeg

...I believe the intake would still work, as the throttle body location would remain the same.

The intake would change too. The way the intake manifold is situated wouldn't allow for a D series intake to work.

Quote:
If you're interested in all motor, let me know. I can go on for days about that, too, but you seem more like the turbo type to me.

Yes he can......