::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2003, 05:24 PM   #1
y2k-honda

Important question

Hey Guys Do you all think that a 1995 Honda Civic EX 1.6vtec (sohc) can handle a DRAG 3 Turbo Kit
Yes? Or Not
thxs
y2k-honda
peace
Old 11-18-2003, 06:12 PM   #2
Slick

It could handle, but why? Go w/ the MUCH cheaper Greddy kit, and buy a FMIC and BOV.

The Drag III kit runs from a T3/T4 Garrett turbo, this is a BIG turbo, and takes a while to spool. You also can't turn the thing up that high on the d series blocks because they will create too much power, power your D-Series can't hold unless you have a built block.

Two guys w/ turbo civics on Honda-Acura.net (sry for the plug) race each other at the tracks every Monday night. The guy w/ the Greddy 15g turbo kit smokes him every time. Takes to long for the T3/T4 to spool up. You can run high 13's on a 15g w/ STOCK INTERNALS.

To sum this up: The Drag III kit is a waste of money unless you are puttign it on a block that can handle lots of power (More suitable for a DOHC Block)
Old 11-18-2003, 06:17 PM   #3
y2k-honda

Thxs Slick for the comments. I all ready got the The Drag III kit. I buy it for 700$. Hey Slick What is Spool Up
Here is a pic of it

I guess that i have to build up the engine block so i can handle the power
thxs againg Slick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 89_1.jpg (27.2 KB, 77 views)
Old 11-18-2003, 06:23 PM   #4
Slick

No problem man. If you got the Drag III kit for so cheap, theres nothing wrong w/ it, alot of people would kill for one!

Spooling is what a turbo does when sucking in air. It can only begin creating power once its spooled up so much. For more info check out www.howstuffworks.com.

Have fun w/ the kit, and post up how you like everything when you're done.
Old 11-18-2003, 06:25 PM   #5
y2k-honda

thxs slick and sure I will post when I get done
Old 11-18-2003, 07:44 PM   #6
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

your motor is not big enough for it
boost will kick on late in the run and then will make a shit load of power that the stock engine cant handle (unless you manually keep the boost low)
I really suggest selling the kit (which looks new) for more money and going with a smaller setup from either greddy or an apex'i kit
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 07:48 PM   #7
y2k-honda

????

So how many or how low Boost can I run. so it will be safe for my engine? does boost mean's psi right ?
Old 11-18-2003, 08:07 PM   #8
pdiggitydogg

boost=psi=bar=in/hg=blah blah blah

people will say up to 10psi on stock internals...but...I wouldnt go over 8. Anything more=better internals such as rods, pistons, thicker headgasket, blockgaurd (the latter 2 can be used together for cheap drop in compression and slightly higher block safety)
Whatever you do, whether its better internals at 15psi or even stock internals at 5psi, take it to a dyno and tune it. You can blow your engine at 1psi if it is not tuned right.
Old 11-18-2003, 08:10 PM   #9
y2k-honda

????

what is a dyno and tune it????? By the way u think it will be safe if i run 7PSI?
Old 11-18-2003, 09:14 PM   #10
pdiggitydogg

you need to do some reading on this site, google, honda-tech, howthingswork, books, and more.
Im not bashing you, but you clearly dont know anything about what youre getting into...you just bought something that you heard would make your car go fast, from the sound of it.
Seriously, do some reading on your own.

and yeah, you should be alright @ 7...after you take it to a dyno and tune it (after you read you will know what I mean)

Oh, and that turbo kit that you bought doesnt have any fuel management (like the greddy kits blue box) so you need to get an apexi s/v-afc or similar

Again, please read up before you do ANYTHING like boost
Old 11-18-2003, 09:15 PM   #11
Slick

Re: ????

Quote:
Originally posted by y2k-honda
what is a dyno and tune it????? By the way u think it will be safe if i run 7PSI?

Not w/ the Drag III kit. If you trade in and buy a Greddy, or an Apex (if you can find one, they're discontinued) then 7 psi will be fun. Make sure to take precautions, like colder plugs, and ALWAYS use 93 octane. You get what you pay for, and you have to make sure you take care of your car. As Pdiggitydog said, go to the dyno. Its a machine that you put your car on and will show you horsepower and torque curves, and where you are making the power. You can use this to tune your Fuel Controller to try and make the most power safest.
Old 11-19-2003, 05:35 AM   #12
y2k-honda

Thxs Slick
So I need to take my car to a dyno tes machine before i put the turbo kit right ?

Here is what comes with the turbo kit.

Drag High flow 4 into 1 cast iron turbo exhaust manifold* *Turbonetics T4/T3 High flow turbocharger assembly * Turbonetics Deltagate Mark II Wastegate (7 PSI Spring) * Drag High Flow front mount intercooler w/ polished cast aluminum end tanks * HKS Super Sequential Blow-Off Valve * Drag mandrel bent high flow chrome plated intercooler pipes * Drag mandrel bent high flow exhaust down pipe * Drag wastegate dump tube assembly * Drag Blue silicone hose and hose clamps * Drag High pressure/High volume inline fuel pump * Drag Boost dependent FMU fuel regulator * Intake air filter assembly * Map sensor bypass valves *Stainless steel braided oil feed line w/ fittings * Oil return assembly * All necessary hardware and fittings * All necessary hose and hose clamps * All necessary gaskets *Also comes with Auto-meter Apexi turbo timer, Auto meter A/F and Boost gauge
Old 11-19-2003, 10:35 AM   #13
pdiggitydogg

no, you take your car to the dyno when the turbo is on...expect to pay around $100 or more to use the machine for a few runs and then maybe even $100 more to get someone to help you tune the a/f ratio. Different shops charge different prices, some might not charge an extra fee for tuning...I know my closest one does, though.
I cant emphasize enough how important it is for you to read up on this...turbo is not a thing for people without understanding. There are lots of threads with this information on this site and others, please go read them before you ask questions. If there is then something else you dont get, post and we will help...but I promise 99% of what you want is here or in a book by Corky Bell
Old 11-19-2003, 02:48 PM   #14
cashizslick

Re: ????

Quote:
Originally posted by y2k-honda
So how many or how low Boost can I run. so it will be safe for my engine? does boost mean's psi right ?

Personally, i think you should sell the kit and use the money to buy a Greddy turbo kit (you will be much happier with).
Old 11-20-2003, 02:44 PM   #15
LaNRoVeR

Nah, DOn't sell it . Just save for a b16 slap the engine and the kit on it : D unless that kit is made specifically for the d16...
Old 11-20-2003, 02:46 PM   #16
y2k-honda

yes the turbo kit is made specifically for the d16...
Old 11-20-2003, 07:35 PM   #17
thermal
Banning Machine

y2k, where you at in Va? If you're close enough I'll install that kit for you for cheap.....he he he he

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 09:04 PM   #18
sohc_vtec 2NR

how'd u get the kit for so cheap?! like what pdig said, i recommend that you read up on forced induction! by puttin' a turbo on your car is like a life and death situation for ur motor....so go visit howstuffworks.com at least..
Old 11-20-2003, 09:35 PM   #19
pdiggitydogg

oh...forgot to even ask this...

Did you get a compression check??
Old 11-20-2003, 09:37 PM   #20
y2k-honda

yes thermalfi'd16 I lieave in virginia how much u charge me ?
Old 11-26-2003, 02:41 PM   #21
thermal
Banning Machine

Where at in Va? I'm in Va Beach. $100 and it's a deal

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 11-27-2003, 11:35 AM   #22
Shaved &/or Laid
4th Gear

oh so kind.
Old 11-30-2003, 07:18 PM   #23
cashizslick

[postwhore] Look at thermal - braggin bout his sick cars in his sig. [/postwhore]
Old 12-01-2003, 06:39 PM   #24
thermal
Banning Machine

ha ha....

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum