::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2001, 10:42 PM   #1
Amish_Eclispe

v-tec/turbo

i have an eclipse and i've been battling this lil honda head in work for the last couple days about this. it goes. will a v-tec motor benefit more from a turbo than a non v-tec motor? i say no cause the second cam lobes are messing up the air flow timing. turbos like a constant rhythm as is why rotary engines benefit so much from turbos. he says a v-tec motor with a turbo is like adding gravy to mash potatoes it only gets better. what's up?
Old 11-26-2001, 09:57 PM   #2
slowEJ6

compression is a major factor here. take the B18B (integra GS/LS, dohc notec)....it can handle a good 13psi max on STOCK internals (not daily, but @ the track)
now a B-series DOHC VTEC engine will need to have some internal work done to safely run over 8psi (for the most part - just at the track). so the DOHC VTEC motor will put down quite a bit more power if built to run with the turbo than a DOHC notec will......
slowEJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2001, 07:01 AM   #3
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

If its compression your worried about then get a thicker head gasket to drop compression... Itll help a ton.
Old 11-27-2001, 12:48 PM   #4
Lovebuzz13

To my knowledge a non- vtec motor would get more out of a turbo than a vtec. If you want more out a vtec without having to build it up, then a supercharger would be better.
Old 11-27-2001, 01:10 PM   #5
VTC_CiViC

Hmm how do I explain this.. A non-VTEC will stand to GAIIN more from F.I., but a VTEC will still YIELD more power. VTEC does hurt boost levels in a small amount, but with the way a VTEC head outflows a non-VTEC head, one would be foolish not to go VTEC if they had the chance, and the increased overlap on the part of VTEC can be tuned down with adjustable sprokets so you negate what you loose to begin with.
Old 11-27-2001, 01:35 PM   #6
98EX

Also, most Non-VTEC motors coem with trannies that are geared taller than non-VTEC motors and there fore also have one on on VTEc cause they take to boost better.
Old 12-01-2001, 03:11 AM   #7
DRAG Boosted Si
The Grim Reaper

this is one thing that i know that is a key element that play a big role when a turbo is part of the equation for a honda motor....VTEC Engines love turbocharging and i read that in a Honda Tuneing Magazine that was a full issue on turbocharging and supercharging that a GSR when the VTEC was turned off....the engine that was being boosted lost 100 horsepower to the wheels...so YES!! VTEC PLAYS A BIG ROLE WHEN IT COMES TO TURBOCHARGING!:: and besides....im dynoed at 407Hp with VTEC ::

Last edited by DRAG Boosted Si : 12-01-2001 at 03:18 AM.
DRAG Boosted Si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2001, 03:14 AM   #8
DRAG Boosted Si
The Grim Reaper

Quote:
Originally posted by Lovebuzz13
To my knowledge a non- vtec motor would get more out of a turbo than a vtec. If you want more out a vtec without having to build it up, then a supercharger would be better.
NEVER!::
DRAG Boosted Si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2001, 06:06 PM   #9
thermal
Banning Machine

Quote:
Originally posted by VTC_CiViC
Hmm how do I explain this.. A non-VTEC will stand to GAIIN more from F.I., but a VTEC will still YIELD more power. VTEC does hurt boost levels in a small amount, but with the way a VTEC head outflows a non-VTEC head, one would be foolish not to go VTEC if they had the chance, and the increased overlap on the part of VTEC can be tuned down with adjustable sprokets so you negate what you loose to begin with.
well said.........

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2001, 06:14 PM   #10
thermal
Banning Machine

.....in addition, my situation is a great example. i have a td04-quick spool small turbo. it spools up around above 3500 revs. the issue with small turbo is that is does NOT hold boost long at all. so on the higher RPM band and speed, boost will start dropping. this is when VTEC helps. VTEC will take over to maintain power providing that VTEC permissives are met.....

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2001, 06:35 PM   #11
bret

Im sure youd benefit more with a supercharger on a VTEC engine than a turbo on a VTEC engine.

Im not really a fan of turbo engines that keep VTEC.
Old 12-16-2001, 12:29 PM   #12
slowEJ6

a Vortech Supercharger on a stock internals DOHC VTEC motor will beat the same motor but with a turbocharger. as long as you get traction, ive seen it done
Old 12-16-2001, 05:53 PM   #13
KwikR6
Mind Blowing

Quote:
Originally posted by thermalfi'd16
.....in addition, my situation is a great example. i have a td04-quick spool small turbo. it spools up around above 3500 revs. the issue with small turbo is that is does NOT hold boost long at all. so on the higher RPM band and speed, boost will start dropping. this is when VTEC helps. VTEC will take over to maintain power providing that VTEC permissives are met.....
Interesting to know that. I'm Not to smart on turbo's, so when I do the swap it sounds like you know your shiznit. BTW i was reading that, after turboing your car, you want to stay away from putting after market cams in your car. The reason being is because a more aggressive cam doesn't act well with the VTEC. I don't know if the companies that build camshafts have fixed this problem yet or what?

The epitome of stupidity is expressed so fluidly with the shity lyric theory you try to spit at me.

I CAN'T WAIT FOR SUMMER!!!
KwikR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2001, 02:21 AM   #14
B18C-EJ1

Quote:
Originally posted by hybrid3do0rcx
a Vortech Supercharger on a stock internals DOHC VTEC motor will beat the same motor but with a turbocharger. as long as you get traction, ive seen it done

Um, no. I'm not doubting that you've seen it done, but no it won't.

You see the Vortech kit (turbo on a stick) only makes max HP gains at the very top of the RPM band, it's linear in it's gains.

On the other hand, a turbo charger keeps making HP throughout the entire powerband, and comes on strong from the get-go.

If you were to set the two up exactly the same.....

i.e.
same boost levels, same DRIVER, same engine/tranny/chassis, both intercooled (aftercooled for the Vortech) everything being equal, the turbo engine will come ahead every time.

I've seen both too, and it's all in the Tuning and the Driver ability, the Vortech kit is less likely to spin the wheels off the line, so it's easier to control, but if you know how to drive the turbo'd engine properly, you'll win every time.
Old 12-17-2001, 03:25 PM   #15
slowEJ6

hmm i researched it some more....yer right, weird. i dunno how the hell my friend with the Vortech keeps owning this kid with his turbo kit, its strange. but i saw the numbers and well it makes sense that the turbo engine should edge out the sc engine each time. STRANGE.
Old 12-17-2001, 03:34 PM   #16
KwikR6
Mind Blowing

Quote:
Originally posted by hybrid3do0rcx
hmm i researched it some more....yer right, weird. i dunno how the hell my friend with the Vortech keeps owning this kid with his turbo kit, its strange. but i saw the numbers and well it makes sense that the turbo engine should edge out the sc engine each time. STRANGE.
Tha's just the way it goes sometimes. Kould be tha driving.

The epitome of stupidity is expressed so fluidly with the shity lyric theory you try to spit at me.

I CAN'T WAIT FOR SUMMER!!!
KwikR6 is offline   Reply With Quote