Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2001, 11:08 PM   #1
BlackDeuceCoupe
The Great Ape

Beginning Of The End???

Quote:

Aftermarket Fans Snub Redesigned Honda Civic

Honda Civic coupes could suffer a decline in residual values because it lacks popularity with people who soup up cars with aftermarket products, according to one analyst. CNW Marketing Research is placing the Civic on a Residual Watch for the first time in the vehicle’s history.

This means the company expects the Civic to be two or three points off its ALG projected value on two-, three- and four-year leases. "It’s starting to lose its luster with its key used-car buyers," said Art Spinella, CNW’s president. The Civic is one of the best-selling small cars in America. According to CNW, there were 311,722 used Civics sold in 2000.

[img]http://hondanews.com/forms/honda/civic/*PV_1528[/img]

The car has had a loyal following among people who like to soup up vehicles, a group Spinella calls "tuners." "This is the first year tuners said they didn’t like the Civic," he said. This is a group that had been die-hard fans of the Civic. “The Honda Civic is by far the most popular vehicle among sport compact en-thusiasts,” said a release from the Specialty Equipment Market Association. Aftermarket products for the Civic include everything from cold air and short ram induction systems that create more horsepower to a wide-body kit that includes the front bumper, rear bumper, side skirts, rear fender covers, front fender covers and the gas door filler cap.

[img]http://hondanews.com/forms/honda/civic/*PV_1602[/img]

The Civic was redesigned for 2001 and Spinella said the vehicle has become too mainstream. “It’s more Accord-like,” he said. The new Civic was a Five-Star winner in federal government crash tests but that kind of performance doesn’t appeal to the youthful tuner crowd. “When you look at the people who buy used Civics, almost 30 percent of them are under 30,” Spinella said. The tuner crowd is now turning to vehicles such as the Mazda Protege instead, Spinella said.

Not everyone agrees. Ricky Beggs, editor of value guide Black Book, doubts the new Civic will suffer from its design. “Traditionally, the car has held its value,” he said. “We don’t anticipate a change.” Kelly Blue Book said the vehicle retains almost 100 percent of its value, leading in its class.

According to the Manheim Online Market Report, however, the drop off in value has started. A 2001 Civic wholesales for $8,276 and retails for $9,439, compared to the 2000 version, which wholesales for $10,308 and retails for $11,632. Honda remarketers are unconcerned about the drop off in tuner sales. There has been some loss in that segment but the new Civic was intended to appeal to a more general audience, said Dan Crowe, manager, automobile remarketing, American Honda Motor Co.

The company has run a few repossessed Civics through auction, said David Langley, manager of lease-end remarketing, American Honda Finance Co. The cars that have gone through the lanes have done well, he said.
DISCLAIMER The existence of BDC is disputable. The existence of views, in the absence
of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise
in the second order coefficient.
BlackDeuceCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2001, 12:14 AM   #2
KwikR6
Mind Blowing

Ya know....ya shoot yourself in the foot...it's going to hurt. Honda has done nothing to impress any "tuner" by any means by releasing a more "enviornmentally friendly" car. Sh!T yo. I like the new Protege 5 better, by a long shot. It's designed better. Looks better. I know I have stuck up for the civic before and said "it'll be a'ight" but I mean. I just read the article in Super Street and the color of my pee is more apealing to me then the color of that car. Not only 160hp outta a 2.0L.???? I hope they take their heads outta their @$$E$.
Hey BDC is it their purpose to shy away from the "tuners" or what? Do they just want to build Nice family cars now? or what?

The epitome of stupidity is expressed so fluidly with the shity lyric theory you try to spit at me.

I CAN'T WAIT FOR SUMMER!!!
KwikR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2001, 11:40 AM   #3
Lovebuzz13

Did you post this on H-T? I swear I've seen it before.
Old 12-17-2001, 11:50 AM   #4
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Why cant honda See how bad they screwed up. Maybe oneday theyll wise up and realize we, the "tuners", are more important than they give us credit for...
Old 12-17-2001, 03:00 PM   #5
KwikR6
Mind Blowing

I think they are trying to basically destroy all sales that come from Tuners. Sure there are going to be aftermarket products for them, but lets face it. It don't compare anymore.

The epitome of stupidity is expressed so fluidly with the shity lyric theory you try to spit at me.

Old 12-17-2001, 04:01 PM   #6
Whtehnda93DXSdn
It has 4 Doors...

That is a great informative report..

It just funy how other companies are mbracing,if you wil, the Tuner scene and are coming out w/ cars that are VERY much eye catchers and head turners in the Tuner Scene..

As shown Mazda is producing a couple of rides that are very hot as well as a couple other companies in the industry..

It really makes you wonder what Honda was thinking...
Old 12-17-2001, 05:36 PM   #7
Lovebuzz13

I read somewhere that they are trying to make their cars more for the "business man" now. By not only changing their style, but making them a bit bigger. Same with the RSX.
Old 12-18-2001, 08:42 AM   #8
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Quote:
Originally posted by Lovebuzz13
I read somewhere that they are trying to make their cars more for the "business man" now. By not only changing their style, but making them a bit bigger. Same with the RSX.

To bad the "Business man" can afford Audi's and BMW's...

Lets face it... The majority of the people that buy civics are the younger peeps, because they are pretty cheap, reliable, and economical... And use to be cool..
Old 12-18-2001, 10:36 AM   #9
KwikR6
Mind Blowing

Quote:
Originally posted by Racing Rice

... And use to be cool..
nuff said.

Old 12-18-2001, 02:05 PM   #10
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Racing Rice
And use to be cool..

Exactly. Honda is doing nothing to help the tuner market, but then again, I don't think they ever will (with their lower-end cars).

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2001, 01:37 PM   #11
KwikR6
Mind Blowing

Quote:
Originally posted by 94_AcCoRd_EX

Exactly. Honda is doing nothing to help the tuner market, but then again, I don't think they ever will (with their lower-end cars).
Sellouts
Just cause all of us kan't afford an s2000 doesn't mean that we should be shut off from the tuner market.

Old 12-24-2001, 04:43 AM   #12
Dezoris

Quote:
Originally posted by dereks civic

Sellouts
Just cause all of us kan't afford an s2000 doesn't mean that we should be shut off from the tuner market.

That is about right.
Old 12-24-2001, 05:50 AM   #13
eXNBP

Old 12-24-2001, 08:33 PM   #14
mr poo

summone mail this thread to honda.

maybe they thought it was one freak generation that were tuners and we finished school and can afford hondas big toys now ?!?!?

anyway u put it im
Old 12-27-2001, 09:24 PM   #15
vtecfetish

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by BlackDeuceCoupe
..The tuner crowd is now turning to vehicles such as the Mazda Protege instead...

not surprising, i'm starting to see more and more of the Protege5 on the streets and they really look waaayy much better than the new Civics. i think i know what my next car is gonna be.
Old 12-28-2001, 11:54 AM   #16
KwikR6
Mind Blowing

Even my friends that don't know much about kars diss the new civic hard.....sheesh.