::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Body Modifications
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2002, 03:12 AM   #1
Junersun

Windows Tinting

I have a 02 accord coupe and I"m planning on getting tint.. question is illegal or legal? is illegal really hard to see when backing out and stuff? also how b*tchy do cops get with window tinting... I was thinking about one before legal limit. any advice on driving toughness and such... let me know
Old 10-01-2002, 12:38 PM   #2
spoogenet

That would all depend on your definition of legal and illegal. Tint laws vary state-to-state, so what's legal for you may not be legal for someone else.

In TX, the front windows of cars are only allowed down to 35%, back window can be blacked out as long as there's 2 side mirrors. Trucks can have all rear windows blacked out but front 2 must be 35% or higher.

I have 37%, I think it is a good darkness. It helps quite a bit during the day (no dye, metallized film so it rejects heat very well) and isn't too dark at night. I have found 20% to be pretty damn dark at night, especially when raining.....but what you like is really up to you and the laws.

How pesky cops are also varies quite a bit with your area and which cop you deal with.

b
Old 10-01-2002, 12:53 PM   #3
TonitrusEN
4th Gear

Um.. mine are 15%

35% is the legal limit, cops dont care in washington

Its hard to see out the back at night at first but you get used to it.. but i like the privacy I can drive naked if i want.. not that i want.. but i could....

My Baby

Unbelievable...

Quote:
Anonymous: Yea but a car has 4 heads, so it's headers!

Me: Or.. you could say that a car has one head...
TonitrusEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 08:52 PM   #4
accord98lx

I have 18% tint and legal limit in hawaii is 35%. I never got pulled over for the windows before.
Old 10-01-2002, 10:03 PM   #5
Junersun

how bad is visibility for tint around that 20% range? I've heard people say theyt got used to it.. and other say they still don't feel comfortable
Old 10-02-2002, 12:28 PM   #6
spoogenet

I didn't care for 20% when I drove my bro's ride when he had it. Way too dark for me. He only got partially used to it, often times he'd roll down his windows though. Not really a big problem unless it's raining.

Best thing I could recommend would be to try to find someone with 20% tint and see how dark you think it is since the whole darkness issue is really a matter of opinion and personal preference.

b
Old 10-03-2002, 02:21 AM   #7
accord98lx

I have 18% tint and its not that bad. You can still see outside pretty clear accept, you cant see colors, thats all. But I recommend driving with the windows down at night while parking. Black cars can get camoflauge!

The cool thing is, you cant see yourself in your side mirrors through the tints
Old 10-03-2002, 02:29 PM   #8
2000Pimpinex
Super Moderator

To stay safe from the police, I would just do the legal limit. It will save you some hassle down the road.
1985 Ford Bronco XLT 5.8 351W
w/ 33X12.5X15
2000Pimpinex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 08:47 PM   #9
h0ndakilla

can you register your car.. if the windows are like 20% because thats way below the legal limit.
Old 05-12-2003, 09:10 PM   #10
Shot 2 Hel

i know of a guy at my school that has 5%
Old 05-22-2003, 01:51 AM   #11
CD5Passion

honestly I'm not even sure what my tint is but I know it's just teetering on the legal and illegal limit
not complaining my girlfriend did it for my birthday
but you can still see inside if the sun hits my windshield just right but other than that it keeps everything pretty dark, I've had no problem with cops in my area
Old 06-13-2003, 06:42 AM   #12
venom122
1st Gear

I have 20% and no problem with it so far. I was even bailing my friends out of a local jail once for underage drinking and the cops came out just to talk a little. None of us really knew them that well but when they looked at my civic he said he wanted to show me what could really get me in fined. He went straight for the hood looking for washer lights but I didnt' have em, nor do I plan to. He completly disregaurded the 20% tint with the 8" down front window strip and spray tinted tail lights.

As far as how dark, the first time I had it done was at night during winter so i was having some trouble backing down a driveway out of the shop. I was told to be safe don't move the windows for 3 days so I had no choice of rolling them down. Now I'm used to it infact my car seems see through compared to most of my friends double 5% tint.

My opinion 20 is dark enough. On cloudy days if its really dark my car will appear darker than it is so i just slide the sunroof cover open and it lightens up a bit.
venom122 is offline   Reply With Quote