.:HSTuners::

::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2005, 08:10 PM   #1
Prophcy0

Is something wrong with my transmission (automatic)?

I bought a new 1995 2dr Civic today to replace the 4dr that I totaled several weeks ago. I paid around $4300 after taxes, and the exterior/interior are near perfect for a car of such age. When I test drove the car everything also seemed fine. However, not that I have the car home I've noticed two things that could be potential problems. First, sometimes I have trouble shifting from park. I don't think this is a problem with the transmission itself. As far as I can tell when I push the brake in to shift out of park it isn't registering with the shifter. I think the problem is with this little gold colored, cylindrical thing that's down by the shifter. I have no idea what this thing is called, or how to fix it.

Now the bigger (potential) problem. Anytime I shift from park to reverse, or to drive, the entire engine lurches a little bit. Is this normal? I never noticed it on my 94 Civic, but I never looked for it either. I have a 3000 mile / 3 month warranty on the engine and transmission, so if something's wrong I want to get it fixed while it's still under warranty.

Thanks
Old 01-07-2005, 10:50 PM   #2
Mischief

My Integra "lurches" a little too as you said.. I think.. Like it kind of jumps from being in park to going to drive / reverse.. If that's what you're talking about my car does it as well and my dad just told me that it's common for it to happen, not sure really.

http://mensalmanac.com
Mischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 11:43 PM   #3
thermal
Banning Machine

Hmmmm... I think all auto tranny does that tho. I know it did that on trucks that i've driven before.

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 12:05 AM   #4
Prophcy0

I popped the hood to check it out, and the engine moves noticably when you shift out of park. I guess it's normal.

Any idea how to fix the first problem?
Old 01-08-2005, 12:24 AM   #5
VR4_Craver
Banned

if its "rocking" I would check that all motor mounts are there. But I do beleive that is rather normal for the engine to rock slightly when the tranny is put into a gear.
the geekz0r (11:03:46 PM): basicly, look at it this way...the 6speed is the same is the 5speed in 2,3,4,5,and 6...only the speeds are different because of the fd
the geekz0r (11:04:16 PM): so 2nd pulls like 1st in the 5speed, 3rd is like 2nd, etc.
PortugeeTex (11:04:26 PM): so whats 1st like then?
the geekz0r (11:04:49 PM): 1st is like hitting a cheeta in the ass with a tazer
PortugeeTex (11:04:53 PM): lmfao
VR4_Craver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 12:35 AM   #6
mavaaoife

Mine car kinda "jumps" as well... (i have an auto) it's normal.. and nothing you should worry about... as far as your first problem goes.. Im not quite sure how to fix that.. If it's not registering maybe something is loose.. I would check all our your screws n such...

Http://www.myspace.com/tehren84
mavaaoife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 03:00 AM   #7
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

heh, it's a busted torque mount on the tranny. do a tranny flush and fill and most of the problems will go away. when you press the brake are you able to push the button on the shifter ? if yes then the cable is messed up.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 02:34 PM   #8
Prophcy0

I'm pretty sure I was able to push the button on the shifter. When it happens again I'll find out for sure.