::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Wheels, Tires, Suspension, and Brakes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2001, 09:19 PM   #1
ced_jr10

air bag suspension. what's good?

hello all. i'm lookin' into airbag suspension for my '91 crx. what are some advantages and disadvantages of airbag over hydros or just coil overs and lowering springs? also, what are some good air bag suspension companies and brand names? any help will be greatly appreciated?
Old 12-15-2001, 10:58 PM   #2
BrandonClaps

don't do bags on a car, use air cyclinders if you wanna do it at all, IMHO do coilovers a nice set, not APC shit
Old 12-16-2001, 11:11 AM   #3
ced_jr10

thanks, but air cylinders? sorry, but never heard of 'em. i'm runnin a set of coil overs and springs on my car now, but i want the option of raising the car as well as lower it. kind of like hydraulics. or are hydros a better choice?
Old 12-16-2001, 12:32 PM   #4
slowEJ6

yup air cylinders.........theres an add for them in just about every Super Street there is....Blowjax unit.
they sell whole kits or just bits n pieces.
slowEJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2001, 04:06 PM   #5
ced_jr10

air cylinders huh? what are some advantages of them over hydros? also, when it comes to cylinders, is there a wide range of adjustability (ride height)? also, i'm lookin at 18x7 rims w/ 215/35/18 toyo rubber. would those mount w/o any modifications to my crx? thanks, i'm real interested
Old 12-16-2001, 05:33 PM   #6
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Quote:
Originally posted by ced_jr10
air cylinders huh? what are some advantages of them over hydros? also, when it comes to cylinders, is there a wide range of adjustability (ride height)? also, i'm lookin at 18x7 rims w/ 215/35/18 toyo rubber. would those mount w/o any modifications to my crx? thanks, i'm real interested

You have to do AirRods, such as the blowjax, because an air bag wont fit in hondas. The only true advantage these have over hydros are they dont use messy fluid, and depending on what setup you running they you will have to use heavy batteries that take up space. The disadvatages are unless your running big air tanks with thick lines and an expensive heavy duty compressor these air kits are super slow. They will be good aslong as you have air in the tank, but if you have a small compressor and a small tank you could be waiting a while for the tank to fill so you can get off the ground.

This setup might be your cheapest bet if your just looking for a way to get off the ground while your driving.

Run a 1 pump setup with 4 dumps running off your car battery. I wouldnt do this if you plan on hitting the swithes a lot or youll drain you battery but it works perfect just to raise and lower it. Reds Hydraulics makes a kit for your Hydralic cylinder that will allow it to pretty much bolt right in I beleive. If you are worried about a stiff ride with hydraulics you can get accumulators they will act as a resevoir when you hit a bump, I heard they are great.

Heres a link for Reds Hydraulic's page so you can look around and put some prices together: Reds Hydraulics

And heres one for HotHondaCars.com that sells BlowJax Kits:HotHondacars.com

I personally love Hydraulics, I bought a set of bags for my truck then traded them to a friend for a 3 pump setup.. Man was I glad I did to. He can only raise his truck up about 2 times and then has to wait for about 30mins to an hour before the compressor fills the tank back up.
Old 12-16-2001, 06:19 PM   #7
ced_jr10

is it possible to run an air system on it's own seperate battery? i'm lookin' to control all 4 wheels individually and to get them up and down at a reasonable speed. what do u think?
Old 12-16-2001, 06:42 PM   #8
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Quote:
Originally posted by ced_jr10
is it possible to run an air system on it's own seperate battery? i'm lookin' to control all 4 wheels individually and to get them up and down at a reasonable speed. what do u think?

Dude if you want to spend the money everything is possible.. If you want some blazing speed.. Go with some like a CO2 setup(have to be custom made.) you want to talk about fast.. yes its completely possible to do a per wheel setup, you will just have to run more valves.. It just cost a little more to do. Run as big as lines/ports as you can this will also help with the speed. You should be able to run the compressor off you car battery unless you notice it running you battery down, then Id run a backup or get crafty and have you car charge both and run your car off one and the compressor off another.

You can have an airbag setup do anything a hydraulic setup can do if all your plumbing is setup correctly.

Last edited by Racing Rice : 12-16-2001 at 06:45 PM.
Racing Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2001, 07:17 PM   #9
slowEJ6

air bags can be put on a honda, it just takes some serious modification.

as for your friend who has to wait 30m to fill up his tank, sucks for him. he shoulda upgraded to bigger tank and/or compressor. big compressor is better cuz it wont burn out as fast under heavy load.
Old 12-17-2001, 11:06 AM   #10
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Quote:
Originally posted by hybrid3do0rcx
air bags can be put on a honda, it just takes some serious modification.

Anything works with a little creativty Id rather do Rods anyway becuase you wouldnt have to worry about holes in your bags..
Old 12-17-2001, 03:13 PM   #11
slowEJ6

Quote:
Originally posted by Racing Rice

Anything works with a little creativty Id rather do Rods anyway becuase you wouldnt have to worry about holes in your bags..
yeah i agree.......i remember in an old Turbo magazine or Import Tuner, cant remember which exactly......but there was an EJ1 (92-95 civic coupe) with air bags, they had to cut 2 holes in his hood so the airbags could fully inflate and deflate without hitting the hood....so they stuck out a bit. and the wheelwells were completely done away with.....open the hood and you see the wheels. looked rather ugly IMO but the idea was pretty sweet. im sure by now theyve come up with ways to clean that up a bit.

but as RR said.........go with the air rods/cylinders, probably a much cheaper setup and no worry about punctured bags.
Old 12-18-2001, 09:10 AM   #12
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Quote:
Originally posted by hybrid3do0rcx
yeah i agree.......i remember in an old Turbo magazine or Import Tuner, cant remember which exactly......but there was an EJ1 (92-95 civic coupe) with air bags, they had to cut 2 holes in his hood so the airbags could fully inflate and deflate without hitting the hood....

Your talking about the one in all the Lexani ads with the yellow chrome window tint... Yes.. I didnt care to much for the setup either, kinda tacky IMO.
Old 12-18-2001, 07:52 PM   #13
slowEJ6

Quote:
Originally posted by Racing Rice

Your talking about the one in all the Lexani ads with the yellow chrome window tint... Yes.. I didnt care to much for the setup either, kinda tacky IMO.
yup thats the one.
Old 12-28-2001, 08:57 PM   #14
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Sorry to be a late poster, but there's a yellow teg around here that has airrod(bags, cylinders whatever). It looks cool as h*ll, but you can tell his body kit has taken some hits for it. Just remember that it will probablt kill your kit if you hit the ground at all. Its not like the trucks or the cars (domestics) that have the metal trim that just scrapes & sparks.
Old 01-01-2002, 08:37 PM   #15
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Quote:
Originally posted by Civic_Addict
..Its not like the trucks or the cars (domestics) that have the metal trim that just scrapes & sparks.

Thats because those arent unibody like most FWD cars are... Frames will save your bumpers and stuff until you wear a hole in the frame then you have some serious problems..