Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2002, 09:22 AM   #1
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Paintball

I know this has come up before, but since we have a lot more people Ill bring it up again.

Does anyone paintball? If so what kind of gun do you have?

Im thinking about getting into it. But I just have to convince myself to spend the money..
Old 09-11-2002, 09:31 AM   #2
Zybach

Paint ball is too fun, until you get shot. We try to make it as realistic as possible. Like if you get a splash of paint on your gun the size of a quarter then your out. Don't think paint balls are harmless cause they're not and they'll do everything to you except break your skin. But hey its fun as hell go for it.
Old 09-11-2002, 09:46 AM   #3
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Trust me, I know what a paintball can do. I have lots of friends that play. Ive seen the scares.. Ive even seen blood before.
Old 09-11-2002, 09:52 AM   #4
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

ouch sounds painfull. i don't paintball at all. maybe in the future whn i'll get enough money to get a gun

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2002, 11:58 AM   #5
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Welp, I did it again.. I spent more money.

Heres what I got. http://www.kingmanusa.com/section/emarker/imagine.html
Old 09-11-2002, 12:21 PM   #6
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Those are supposed to be pretty fun to play with RR. I had a couple of Kingman guns when I first started playing (not electric though). Now I have an Autococker. Very sweet gun, lots of fun to play with, but not easy to tune or time for a beginner (spyders don't need to be timed). Buy a GOOD mask so it won't fog. I have a JT Flex 7 Ize. They are great masks, but the bottom of them are soft so the balls will deflect instead of break. This leaves NASTY welts on your face if you get hit there Since your gun feeds faster than a normal Spyder, be sure to get a 12V revvy too, you'll need it. First upgrade you'll want is a barrel, and Lapco makes good mediocre priced ones (~$50). If you play a lot or plan in temps under 45' F, you might want to consider playing with compressed air too. It gets cold here and that made a HUGE difference when I switched. Too bad I haven't played in a while though.

I just realized that I rambled on forever about this, so I'll stop now Congrats on the marker

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2002, 12:47 PM   #7
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Quote:
Originally posted by 94_AcCoRd_EX
I just realized that I rambled on forever about this, so I'll stop now Congrats on the marker

Thanks for the info. Ive been reading up on them and the barrel and the revvy are the 2 things that are said I should upgrade. So I will be looking into them. I have a friend with a shutter and he loves it. I cant wait to go play now.

Now all I have to do is wait. I doubt Ill be playing in any tourneys any time soon. This will just be for going out an romping through the woods with some friends. I was looking at an Autococker, but they are a little more then I was wanting to spend right now. I think Ill stick within my skill level and get the easier gun for now.
Old 09-11-2002, 12:52 PM   #8
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

No prob.

If you're looking for good rec paint to shoot, I'd recommend RP Scherrer (sp?) Premium. Runs about $50/case and shoots well out of a medium bore barrel such as a spyder's.

I've never played a tourney or anything, but I always have the most fun playing woodsball with friends.

Old 09-11-2002, 12:55 PM   #9
incubus86

Re: Paintball

I play every weekend. I love it. I got a Jt 4.0 excellerator brand new of of ebay back in may for $100. I put on a ricochet 2k, and a 16" all american barrel. Setup totally kicks ass. Accurate as ever.
Not good enough to enter the tournaments that me and my teammates plan on getting into so i'm saving up for this bad boy.

hopefully i'll have it around feb. of next year.

as for a hopper, don't get the 12k, go for the new eVolution II.
thats just my opinion.
Old 09-11-2002, 02:07 PM   #10
Zybach

I like to shoot people in the head, especially if they're bald.
Old 09-11-2002, 02:19 PM   #11
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Why do you want to pick on bald people for!

I wish I would have bought the autococker off of my friends brother in law last year sometime. He probably had $2000+ in gun and accessories, and he turned around and sold it for $400
Old 09-11-2002, 03:11 PM   #12
Spazum888
3rd Gear

hey guys/gals paintball is a sport i play alot. i enjoy playing it and telling stories afterwards. here are some pic of my gun. paintballs do break the skin... only if you get shot 10 feet away right on the skin.... and you can go out to rec centers or fields where they play and im sure they will rent out a gun and mask to you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mchpaintballgun.jpg (14.1 KB, 59 views)

Girls are like internet domain names, the ones I like are already taken.
well, you can stil get one from a strange country :-P
Spazum888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2002, 04:05 PM   #13
spoogenet

How much pain you feel and skin you lose depends on velocity, temp, paint freshness, and range. Nothing worse than being shot from 10' away at 290fps when it's near freezing outside with stale paint. Ouch......

WEAR A CUP! Protect the family jewels.....I started after I landed a few in a guy's crotch.

I used to play all the time in high school, once college started I dropped off and have only played a couple times since. I've got a Tippmann Pro Lite, but I need a serious upgrade before I get back into it. Only 2 fields around Austin, that sucks dude. Only outdoor, too.

My bro runs with an Autococker and an Angel. He had a Bushmaster but sold it. The cocker is tight, when it works properly. The day I played with it one of the hoses was loose, so it double shot a lot....still accurate when it single shot. Heavy as could be, though. The Angel was pretty badass, I never played with it, though.

Maybe I'll get my bro to give me his cocker.....hmmmmm, now that's the ticket. Just hope your finger doesn't get tired with one of those bad boys, otherwise it's choppin balls all day long. haha.

The Angel is so easy to break down and clean, though.....

b
Old 09-11-2002, 06:25 PM   #14
PoleMan14

Yeh paintball is fun but expensive. I have a mostly stock 68 automag powerfeed with a 12" j&j ceramics ( my favorite barrel for the price) and a 68ci ACI Bulldog. I had an autococker for one week, it sucked so bad, all that timing and shit.
Old 09-12-2002, 08:01 AM   #15
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Okay you guys have to see this!

If your a serious paintballer ----> Click Here! <-------

I want the M4 M203!!!
Old 09-12-2002, 08:23 AM   #16
mt.biker

Quote:
Originally posted by Racing Rice
Okay you guys have to see this!

If your a serious paintballer ----> Click Here! <-------

I want the M4 M203!!!
those guns look like the real deal, i would be a little worried showing up to a game and a dude having one of them.. what if its not a paintball gun? jokes

i like the look of the m-16 (us army issue gun), i didn't check if they had one, but one like that would be a great gun to own.
Old 09-12-2002, 10:58 AM   #17
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

What size barrel and what make do you suggest for woods/field play with friends?
Old 09-12-2002, 11:04 AM   #18
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
What size barrel and what make do you suggest for woods/field play with friends?

Well, really expensive, nice paint tends to be a smaller bore. I play with RP premium when I'm just messing around, sometimes Diablo Blaze. Those are medium bore paints, and I'm using a Lapco Bigshot .689 and a CP .689 (I'm not 100% sure on the CP w/o looking). Those are good for medium paint. You want to be able to blow the ball through the barrel with some force, but not too much.

Old 09-12-2002, 12:39 PM   #19
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

I know you can get different sizes on the CP. So a medium one, like a .689, would probably be the best? What about Length? I was thinking 12 to 14. Is that to long or should I go with something a little longer for woods/field play?
Old 09-12-2002, 01:11 PM   #20
spoogenet

General rule for barrels is that longer = more accurate. Of course this is only a general rule, a high quality short barrel will shoot better than a longer crappy barrel.

What length barrel you want partially depends on where you play and how you like to play. If you're going to be hiding in tight spaces, having a longer gun can be a huge hindrance. I find short barrels to be especially handy for indoor play or cramped arenas with tight corners and stuff.

In the woods, if you'll be spread out and may want a sniper role or something, getting a good 12" or 14" would be fine. I've got a 14" for my Pro-lite, it's great for the spread out woods play where I can lay down and snipe someone from afar, but for speedball and indoor it's just way too long.

b
Old 09-12-2002, 02:00 PM   #21
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Cool. Most of my play will probably in the woods. Im thinking about going with the 14 inch Lapco Bigshot. Then maybe later buy a good shorter one if I think Ill need it.
Old 09-12-2002, 04:09 PM   #22
PoleMan14

dude buy the J&J Ceramics barrel, i have a 14" one. its accurate, quiet, and hanvt broken a ball yet. best bet for price
Old 09-12-2002, 04:50 PM   #23
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Quote:
Originally posted by PoleMan14
...i have a 14" one....

I thought you said your was a 12 inch barrel?
Old 09-13-2002, 12:47 AM   #24
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Seriously, don't go longer than a 12". You won't gain any accuracy over a nice 12" and it will be a pain in the ass to lug around. Even playing woodsball it will get in the way. Especially if you like to rush. I've played with a 14, and I went back to my 12 right away.

Old 09-13-2002, 07:16 AM   #25
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Quote:
Seriously, don't go longer than a 12". You won't gain any accuracy over a nice 12" and it will be a pain in the ass to lug around. Even playing woodsball it will get in the way. Especially if you like to rush. I've played with a 14, and I went back to my 12 right away.

Yeah your probably right. Oh well, Ill just keep researching and ponder. Hell, I havent even gotten my marker yet.
Old 09-13-2002, 12:18 PM   #26
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:

Yeah your probably right. Oh well, Ill just keep researching and ponder. Hell, I havent even gotten my marker yet.

Lol, as soon as you get it you'll get the upgrade bug. Just like having your car... you can't leave it stock

Old 09-13-2002, 12:56 PM   #27
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Quote:
Lol, as soon as you get it you'll get the upgrade bug. Just like having your car... you can't leave it stock

Stock isnt even a word thats in my vocabulary..
Old 09-14-2002, 07:41 PM   #28
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Woohoo.. I got my gun last night.

I went up today and bought just about everything I need. Im just missing one important little thing.. The CO2 tank. They were out today when I went to pick one up. Im going to have to wait until Wednesday for that..
Old 09-14-2002, 07:42 PM   #29
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Have you considered picking up a cheaper N2O tank with winter coming up?

Old 09-14-2002, 07:54 PM   #30
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Quote:
Have you considered picking up a cheaper N2O tank with winter coming up?

I thought about it.. I may in a couple months.. right now I need to chill on the $$$ spending a little.
Old 09-14-2002, 08:24 PM   #31
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:

I thought about it.. I may in a couple months.. right now I need to chill on the $$$ spending a little.

Yeah, I know what you're saying. I get involved in a hobby and spend all of my money. Well have fun with your new marker

Old 09-14-2002, 08:39 PM   #32
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

i bought a spyder compact 2000 then put a bottom line, a expensive ass barrel(like 90 bucks), i have a 9 12 and 20 oz tank, a revolution 9v hopper, double trigger 45mm pistol grip, bottom line with expansion chamber, a laser scope that actualy works half decent (puts a red dot on a convex lens 3 inchs away from light. ive got it set for roughly 100-120ft shots.

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 12:29 PM   #33
spoogenet

Nitrogen is by far the way to go IMO. Compressed air is alright, but I prefer nitrogen. After shooting with CO2 for a while....woo what a change for the better. CO2 is hard to use now....too inconsistent.

b
Old 09-15-2002, 12:37 PM   #34
PoleMan14

Quote:
Originally posted by spoogenet
Nitrogen is by far the way to go IMO. Compressed air is alright, but I prefer nitrogen. After shooting with CO2 for a while....woo what a change for the better. CO2 is hard to use now....too inconsistent.

b

I was 99% sure that compressed air was just another word for nitrogen. "air" is made up of almost all nitrogen right?
Old 09-15-2002, 12:38 PM   #35
PoleMan14

Quote:

I thought you said your was a 12 inch barrel?

I was wrong the first time....its a 14
Old 09-15-2002, 01:05 PM   #36
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by spoogenet

b

Normal air is already composed of about 79% nitrogen. While you can pay a premium to get more "pure" (closer to 100% nitrogen), there is little difference in its propelant properties. Compressed air is already clean enough to not harm anything in your marker. You can get a scuba tank filled with compressed air for $3 or $4 which will yield quite a few fills.

Old 09-15-2002, 02:02 PM   #37
spoogenet

Hmmm, for some odd reason I was thinking compressed air had some disadvantage to N, but perhaps I was wrong.

If you're going to be playing much and, say, have a few buddies that have their own equipment as well and you want to head off into the woods rather than play on a field, then definitely invest some money in a couple scuba tanks. They can usually be had for a decent price, and they can cut your costs down significantly over time. Same as buying paint in bulk (cases).....I don't care for fields that force you to use their paint, especially if it's crap paint....but I gotta respect the fact that they are a business and need the mulah.

I would recommend having a couple scuba tanks for pressure reasons. Do the bulk of the filling with one tank and then top off the pressure with the second tank. If you don't do that then you will lose the pressure in the bulk tanks very quickly.

b
Old 09-15-2002, 02:03 PM   #38
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Yeah, you'll only get about 2 full 3000psi fills from a tank and then 5-6 2400ish psi fills after that. Having two tanks helps out a lot. Man, this thread makes me want to go out and play

Old 09-16-2002, 12:12 AM   #39
blind34_1

Wow, I totally missed this post for a while!

I just went paintballin today actually, today was our blowout game at the local field. No tapelines, just forty acres to work with. It was awesome, I did alright with between 10 - 15 kills. last year it poured, today it was just damp.

Yeah, I'm feelin the upgrade bug on my gun, too. I shoot a Model 98 Custom and its such a great gun even while stock. Fires well, is cheap, is simple, and rugged.....much like a Honda....hmm...anyway. I just recently finished painting all the plastic peices on my gun so I kind of have a custom look to it now with the green and black. Next step is a flatline system, none of this 14-16 inch barrel crap that doesn't do crap for your accuracy. I'm spending all money on car and school now though, so it'll be a while.

OK, PAINTBALL STORY:

This happend a few times back, too, and I always freeze.
Today I was hunkered in a bunker, cause I was pinned down. I peek up and see one of my opponents charging toward my bunker, gun up. I dart back down and get ready to blast him, but all I hear is a dull thud and vibration...He's on the other side of my bunker. Thought process: Oh crap this is going to hurt. But he didn't know I was behing the bunker, and starts firing at my teammates who are farther back. His barrel is right next to my face. What I should've done: 1) shoot his barrel, or 2) grab his barrel and unscrew it, or just grab it and yell bang your dead. What I did: sat there and tried to make up my mind while my teamates shot him out. Oh well, I did plenty to make up for it.
blind34_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2002, 10:01 AM   #40
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Grr.. One more day till I get my tanks..

Im hoping with the fully auto trigger my CO2 doesnt freeze up. Ill probably just use 3 Burst mode. Im to cheap to waste a bunch of paintballs.

I just cant wait to play..