::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2002, 09:27 PM   #1
BlackNotch

Engine Swap, how much?

I've got a friend who just blown a head gasket on her 1992 Civic Hatch. Pretty sure it's a '92. No power options, planejane, probably the weakest engine & tranny in there.

Mechanic says $1500 for the job. I guess head resurface, labor, waterpump, etc. I'm sure they are out to molest her. Anyway, she wants to get rid of it.

I'm looking to make this my daily driver with bigger engine. Don't want to spend much.

Can you guys give me some recommendations for under $2500 including labor? Will the stock AUTO tranny hold the extra power of an engine swap?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-19-2002, 09:49 PM   #2
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

if you wana jump a tiny bit in the price you could drop a b-serise in and have a nice, fast car. or, a h22.... mmmmm

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2002, 10:58 PM   #3
diligent_dave

Ummmm, you can get a full B16 swap for under 2000 down here. My friend Chance has a del sol and the shop wants about 1600 to swap in a B16 and convert his auto to manual. The price includes the tranny, ecu, axles, harness, shifter linkage, clutch setup and labor. It is from a reputable shop also. Too bad you aren't in Tx. Or are you?
Old 03-20-2002, 11:56 AM   #4
BlackNotch

Dave, I'm in Washington DC area.

The B16 is the Del Sol vtech with 160hp right?

$2000 for the engine and labor to swap it? Rebuilt engine I guess?

Would the stock auto tranny in a '92 Civic be able to handle the power? I'll probably do other minor bolt ons too.
Old 03-20-2002, 11:30 PM   #5
Quist

No way-the extra power will eat that tranny alive!!!

Better off doing a swap, not a very hard job and better done right when the new motor is being put in. Make sure you look around and you will find a pretty good deal somewhere, make sure you have someone so it that knows what they are doing.

Good luck----tell us how you like it if you do it
Old 03-21-2002, 11:47 PM   #6
Saint212

Best thing to do for a budget price is to swap out your engine and tranny. But if you are talking about swaping to a 5 speed your price just went up. if you were looking to spend a little more coin you could drop an H22 in there and that stock H22 will push a dx civic to run high 13 because of how light the car is. And tel your freind they are trying to rape her on the estimate. it isnt a tough job and you could get a mr gasket copper head gasket for 49 bucks. As far as what engine to use, it all depends on your prefrences
Old 03-24-2002, 01:30 PM   #7
lx4life

you can get nice b series w/low miles for around 1000 around here, what i would do is call around to some shops, try not buy rebuilt engines cause they cost more especially if you are planning on racing it.go used
Old 03-26-2002, 06:08 PM   #8
BlackNotch

Thanks for all the help guys.
Old 04-01-2002, 12:24 AM   #9
yelizardking

i live in los angeles. i am planning on doing a swap. i considermyself to be poor. does anyone know of a place around the la area that doesn't change and arm and a leg. what would be some prices for a b16a2ndgen and a 97ish gsr?
Old 04-01-2002, 08:18 AM   #10
slowEJ6

$2700 and $4000, thats an avg miles estimate.
slowEJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2002, 05:20 PM   #11
civicchik

Quote:
Originally posted by diligent_dave
Ummmm, you can get a full B16 swap for under 2000 down here. My friend Chance has a del sol and the shop wants about 1600 to swap in a B16 and convert his auto to manual. The price includes the tranny, ecu, axles, harness, shifter linkage, clutch setup and labor. It is from a reputable shop also. Too bad you aren't in Tx. Or are you?

hey I'm in TX also, where are you at? I am new to this stuff so forgive the retard ?, but what is the difference in b15,b16, and v-tec? I know crap about engines, but I drive a 98' civic lx and would eventually like to swap the engine for v-tec, but I still have a lot of research to do. You wouldn't happen to know where I could find some good info would ya? ( I'm about 30 miles south of houston).
thanks