Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance > Turbo
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2002, 11:25 PM   #1
munky185

Turbo questions.....help please!!

Hello,

I've been reading this forum for about 2 weeks now, and just from reading the posts on here I've learned more about Hondas in these 2 weeks than in my whole life lol. I know you all can answer my questions, so here goes: I have just purchased a 1995 Civic EX (5 spd) and I am interested in putting a Greddy Turbo kit on it. I'm not looking to go into double digit psi territory b\c it's gonna be a daily driver setup. It's gonna stay at the 5.5 psi (I think it's 5.5 that it coms with) setting. Right now my car is completely stock, besides my Enkei 17" RS6 wheels I just had put on. The engine has 120k miles on it, but no problems whatsoever. Considering I'm keeping the boost setting at 5.5 or maybe just a bit higher, what do I need to do to my car to make it ready for turbo? I've tried to gather this info from other posts, but all I could find seems to be prep for pushing double digit psi territory. This is not my case.
I have another question also. Just how much horsepower will you gain from adding an intercooler to the setup? I've been looking for any estimates regarding it, but I can't seem to find any. I'm fairly new to this subject, and I need all the help I can get to make a wise decision. Also, if any engine work is needed (pistons, rods, etc.), if you could post how much that might cost me it would be extremely helpful. Sorry this post is a little long, but I didn't want to leave any information out in order to get the best possible answers. Thanks in advance!!!
Old 02-14-2002, 11:40 PM   #2
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

You shouldnt need any internals changed unless there a problem with you present ones. The first thing I would do is have the mechanical condition of the car thoroughly checked over. Do a compression test and other things like making sure that the 100,000 mile maintenance has been done. Especially things like belts, etc. If everything checks out ok then procede with boosting. Ive been told that you can just slap a Turbo on and go at it if you just leave it at its stock setting. I would advise aleast upgrading your fuel pump, run colder spark plugs, may want to get new plug wires if you havent already, Boost guage and an Air/Fuel Guage or an Exhaust Temp. Gauge are other very good ideas to help safe guard you. I would also Highly suggest getting your car Dyno Tuned as well, this will not only allow your car to run safer it will also get the most power out of your setup.

Now for the Intercooler... Ive heard that it can produce about another 20 hp or so depending on your setup, Keep in mind adding a IC will usually drop the amount of boost that your turbo will be pushing. So instead of 5.5 psi it may drop you down to say 4.5 psi.

Happy Boosting... Goodluck with your car.

Oh and welcome to Honda Style.
Old 02-15-2002, 10:01 AM   #3
VTC_CiViC

Pretty much everything RR said. Ensure the motor is in good mechanical condition. Make sure the timing belt and water pump have already been changed. Change the fuel filter and thermostat and ensure the radiator core is leak free and not clogged. If the motor is in good shape, go ahead and slap a GReddy on there. The easiest way to boost the stock 5.5psi would be using a GReddy blue box, this allows you to retain the stock fuel system, assuming you can't find a blue box, upgrade to a high-pressure intank fuel pump (or a high pressure inline if you think you're gonna see more than 8psi of boost) and a 12:1 FMU. An adjustable fuel pressure regulator the likes of an AEM would be beneficial because you're probably gonna have a high idle pressure because of the high pressure pump, the adjustable FPR will allow you to drop the pressure a little at idle. A set of colder plugs (NGK BCPR6E should do the trick) and retard the timing about 3 degrees from stock. That's about it for the motor, remember to maintain it religiosuly, change the oil every 3k miles and use GOOD OIL and filters, and nothing but premium fuel (92 or 93 octane) to ensure you don't detonate. RR touched on the gauges too (boost and A/F though you'd be far better with an EGT). A manual boost controller and a cheap turbo timer, and your're done!
Old 02-15-2002, 12:48 PM   #4
maxpsi

would ya look at this....the KINGS of HS bestowing there knowledge on u with there replies....wow! lol u can trust these guys, they know there stuff.....i agree with what they said
Old 02-15-2002, 02:31 PM   #5
munky185

Thanks a lot ppl!! I'm glad I decided to research this stuff first.......I was a\b to go the I/H/E route...... and from what I've read I/H/E won't give you as much as a turbo will, even set at 5.5 psi, am I correct?
Old 02-15-2002, 02:48 PM   #6
maxpsi

true true....no comparison to the turbo even at 5.5psi the difference is felt....u will still need to get a good exhaust i personally am going custom. as far as an intake and manifold that is usually included in a turbo kit
Old 02-15-2002, 06:23 PM   #7
thermal
Banning Machine

i'm still on the basic stage of GReddy 5.5 psi. i've been running this set-up for a year now. all you really gonna want to add is a higher flow exhaust system. the kit constains everything including the FMU. i strongly advice to get other few items like boost gauge and a/f ratio or EGT to monitor the effectiveness of your set-up. get a BOV and a turbo timer and you'd be set. i also have an APEXi V-AFC for tuning purposes, along with an NGK 7 series plugs tied up with nology hotwires. eventhough those are not necessities, i purchased it to maintain better combustion rate. goodluck to you.......BTW, i also suggest that you install these parts yourself....it's not hard. check out my friend's site:
www.turbocivic.net

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2002, 11:37 PM   #8
juvenile

http://www.clubsi.com/boost2.shtml

This link should also come in handy. Give it a read. Explains how to boost safely
Old 02-16-2002, 04:26 AM   #9
MrCLoWnY

I had the turbo kit installed on my fully stock civic. I had stock everything. The car ran like a champ. Then i got an exhaust and i felt the power instantly. I never knew an exhaust would give you that much power before. Like thermal said, make sure to get some gauges to make sure that everything is in good working order.
Old 02-16-2002, 06:05 PM   #10
munky185

Ok I've decided to save up and get the Greddy Turbo kit. Thanks for all the help you guys gave me. I have one more question though. I'm gonna be getting an Eibach Pro Kit along with AGX adjustable shocks. www.groupbuycenter.com has both for a total of $530. Should I get the Pro Kit and AGX shocks before I get the turbo......OR.......go ahead and start saving up for the turbo (I have stock suspension now) and add on the shocks and pro kit later?? Thanks for any suggestions!!
Old 02-16-2002, 06:42 PM   #11
juvenile

I would suggest that you upgrade the suspension first. Better handling is never bad. But I'd say that you hear other people's responses first
Old 02-16-2002, 07:20 PM   #12
maxpsi

Quote:
Originally posted by juvenile
I would suggest that you upgrade the suspension first. Better handling is never bad. But I'd say that you hear other people's responses first

i agree....im getting my suspension stuff put on next month....then gettin my Greddy turbo in April/May.
Old 02-16-2002, 08:57 PM   #13
thermal
Banning Machine

that is not a bad choice to have before the turbo. u can still save money as long as you install it yourself. i recently just installed my KYB-AGX. it was fairly easy. then i helped the civic next to me to install new springs. borrow a spring compressor and i'll give you the link to install the struts. peace!

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 02-17-2002, 12:02 AM   #14
ajn

about the springs, I bought a CRAFTSMAN Macpherson spring compressor for $40. Not bad. Once you get it and install them yourself, everybody will be asking you to put them on. You can make some nice money that way. At least I have!

About the turbo kit. I had 90,000 miles on my car when I put on the Greddy kit. All I bought when I first got is was the turbo kit, Greddy turbo timer, and Greddy Type-S blow off valve. That's it, everything else was stock. I didn't have aftermarket plugs or wires, or and upgraded fuel system. I just had the Blue box that came with the kit. No check engine lights, no intercooler. I ran it like that at 5.5 psi for a couple of months with no problems what-so-ever. I also got it dynoed and picked up about 40 whp. I even gained about 4 whp and 6 ft-lbs of torque just by regapping the stock spark plugs!

Once you just start out with the basic kit, you will have a blast with it. It's a totally reliable daily driven turboed civic. You can buy the kit for the same amount as you would intake, headers, and exhaust.

Greddy turbo is the way to go on any SOHC motor.

it's a great investment.

good luck, and keep the questions coming if you have anymore!

drive safe,

aj

btw: here's my dyno figures with the Greddy turbo kit, non-intercooled, stock everything, and 5.5 psi. I didn't even have gauges at the time! So I assume I was pushing 5.5 psi! It's a before and after of regapping the stock spark plugs.

Old 02-17-2002, 12:25 AM   #15
munky185

Woohooo!! I just ordered the Eibach Pro Kit and the AGX shocks from www.groupbuycenter.com ....can't wait to put em on....... I plan on buying a spring compressor for installation but is the installation difficult for either of these two things?? I don't know much about installing this stuff at this point, so any info is better than no info lol.
Old 02-17-2002, 12:36 AM   #16
ajn

Hey man,

That's great to hear that you ordered them. You are going to get the great look you want, without the bounce that other lowered cars have. You should think about autocrossing now!

Anyway, the install really isn't that hard. It took me about 8 hours to do the springs and shocks on my car. The tedious part was just compressing the stock spring assembly on the car. You have to tighten each side one at a time. It takes a while. Just make sure you have a Helms manual, and you will be ok. You really can't do much on your car without the "bible"

good luck man,

aj
Old 02-17-2002, 12:49 AM   #17
juvenile

Where do you buy the Helm's manual?
Old 02-17-2002, 01:03 AM   #18
ajn

you can buy it through a Honda dealership

or

you can order it off of their website:

http://www.helminc.com/helm/homepage.asp

good luck,

aj
Old 02-17-2002, 04:18 PM   #19
munky185

When I bought my 95 Civic the guy gave me a Chilton repair manual. Is the Helms manual worth ditchin the chilton and payin another $60 for?
Old 02-17-2002, 04:19 PM   #20
ajn

YES

Chiltons is crappy compared to a Helm's manual.

ditch it and get a Helms.

It is definitely worth the money
Old 02-18-2002, 10:07 AM   #21
VTC_CiViC

Read the Helms cover to cover, it's addicting
Old 02-18-2002, 10:09 AM   #22
ajn

Quote:
Originally posted by VTC_CiViC
Read the Helms cover to cover, it's addicting

that's what I do when I can't sleep at night
Old 02-18-2002, 06:50 PM   #23
thermal
Banning Machine

here's the instruction to install the KYB-AGX. it also contains how to install a set of new springs....enjoy!

http://home.mpinet.net/t-hero/Struts!!.htm

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 02-18-2002, 07:09 PM   #24
MonkeyCoR

Can a standard automatic on a 98 civic ex handle a greddy turbo kit ok?
Old 02-18-2002, 07:20 PM   #25
juvenile

I don't see why a transmition difference will cause performance differences on a turbo. I mean you'll notice slight loss of power on one I think, but both can handle IMO
Old 02-18-2002, 08:10 PM   #26
ajn

Quote:
Originally posted by MonkeyCoR
Can a standard automatic on a 98 civic ex handle a greddy turbo kit ok?

It can take it, but it won't last long.
Old 02-18-2002, 08:48 PM   #27
97CivicFerio

AJN is right, the auto transmission will be ok for a while but it will break down at some point. Then you're looking at $$$$$$:(
Old 02-18-2002, 10:14 PM   #28
munky185

Hey thanks for that link thermalfi'd16
Old 02-19-2002, 12:23 AM   #29
MonkeyCoR

CAn a stock 98 Civic Ex automatic transmission with stand a greddy turbo kit?
Old 02-19-2002, 12:25 AM   #30
MonkeyCoR

oops you guys already replied so should I dish out more money and put in a 5speed?
Old 02-19-2002, 12:26 AM   #31
MonkeyCoR

And how much does it cost to put in a 5speed?
Old 02-19-2002, 02:14 PM   #32
juvenile

You want to change from auto to manual...Ummm from the different stories I hear.
A LOT! It's not really worth it for a normal production line car. If it was a rare car then yeah, but it would be easier to sell this car and buy a 5 speed IMO
Old 02-19-2002, 02:56 PM   #33
MrCLoWnY

It is alot of work to convert it to a 5sp from an auto tranny.....
Old 02-19-2002, 03:13 PM   #34
97CivicFerio

Yep, sell the auto and buy the manual. Much better solution to the problem!!
Old 02-19-2002, 09:43 PM   #35
MonkeyCoR

Do you guys know what I would look up in the phone book like to find out what kind of place would do such a job?
Old 02-19-2002, 09:45 PM   #36
MonkeyCoR

Do they sell shift kits for hondas?
Old 02-20-2002, 09:09 AM   #37
VTC_CiViC

Go to www.civicland.com and talk to somebody named "Calesta" over there. He converted from auto to manual on his 5G sedan as a part of his swap (B20-VTEC) and it was actually pretty cheap.