Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance > Turbo
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2003, 05:36 PM   #1
thermal
Banning Machine

My dyno number.... untuned

Well, I took my Civic and my Teg to the dyno today and the numbers were really disappointing.

The Civic:
Boost is set at 10 psi on TurboXS sMBC. I realized that my boost would spike at 10 psi but will only hold at 8 psi. The problem is, if I adjust my MBC to 10 psi, it will more likely spike to 12 psi. Anything above 11psi on an AFC "hack" will throw a CEL/MIL on a MAP code and will surely place my ECU on a limp mode. My civic is also untuned on the VAFC "hack".

This is way lower than I expected, but I'm not gonna sit here and lie to everybody that my car is powerful. The torque is amazing tho. I guess I'm not done with my Civic yet. I wish I had installed my GReddy profecB before taking it to the dyno. To top it off, my stock clutch is almost gone after trying to race my friend's Del Sol B18C5...... dayyym, that's another couple of hundreds . Anyway, here's the sheet:

The Integra:
JDM B18C ITR with help from DC 4-1 header, Apexi N1 cat-back, test pipe, spoon cam gears, LSD. The torque is lost I think because of the high flow exhaust system. None to minimum back pressure. As you can see, VTEC created so much power. Without VTEC kickin in, this teg would be powerless. These numbers definitely forced me to order more of the major components for the set-up. I now have the T3T04e 57T A/R and 63 A/R turbine, and SFP race manifold enroute. Here's the chart:

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 05:41 PM   #2
thermal
Banning Machine

My turbo civic dyno numbers...untuned

Well, this thread actually belongs to the turbo forum. Sorry Pdigg, I accidentally placed it on the civic forum. I went ahead moved it tho.

I know a lot of you who has been eager to see my numbers.... nothing to sweat about... very disappointing on the HP side.

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 11-29-2003, 07:51 PM   #3
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

s'all good...though the numbers seem kinda low...Id really like to see it when its tuned
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 08:04 PM   #4
thermal
Banning Machine

Me too. My stock clutch is toasted. I guess it's about time. Boosting for at least 3-4 yrs with it now. Now, I have to pull off funds from my turbo teg project to get a stage2. Since I'm on it, I might as well get a lightened flywheel.... sh!t is neverending!

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 11-29-2003, 10:05 PM   #5
pdiggitydogg

kinda how the car world is though...neverending
ever thought about just an exedy organic? Theyre good equipment and cheaper than act or clutchmasters.

oh and because i didnt say it before...
the teg numbers are pretty nice
Old 11-29-2003, 10:27 PM   #6
vtracer20

i thought it's a bad idea to lighten a flywheel on a boosted engine...how in gods name u get the money to boost two cars...damn....i got enough to keep gas in one
Old 11-30-2003, 08:58 AM   #7
AzCivic

those #'s dont look all that bad. did you have a chance to see what the air/fuel mix was on the civic? and do you have the timing retarded alot on it?

oh, what are the cam gears set on on the teg?
AzCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 10:55 AM   #8
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

the numbers on the civic don't look bad at all. 175whp ( well i assume it was a chassis dyno)? that's damn nice

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 12:00 PM   #9
sohc_vtec 2NR

#s aren't bad...like you said its only holdin' 8 psi and spikin' to 10 psi...and i'm sure the beat up clutch has alot to do with the lower than expected numbers..i can only dream that my civic havin' that much power and that mighty impressive torque!!
Old 11-30-2003, 01:11 PM   #10
thermal
Banning Machine

Quote:
kinda how the car world is though...neverending
ever thought about just an exedy organic? Theyre good equipment and cheaper than act or clutchmasters.

oh and because i didnt say it before... the teg numbers are pretty nice
Exedy organic is one of my choices. I actually found some cheap ones at www.prostreetonline.com. I kind of wanted something higher grade since I dont want to reaplace this again for a while. The Teg numbers are lacking of torque. The weird thing is, my friend with a B18C5 pulled off exactly 1 HP higher than my JDM B18C but he came up with a 125 ft/lb torque. I'm not too worried about it tho since the turbo will bring those numbers up.

Quote:
i thought it's a bad idea to lighten a flywheel on a boosted engine...how in gods name u get the money to boost two cars...damn....i got enough to keep gas in one
To some extend, it is bad to lighten the flywheel on a turboed car. I really havent made up my mind on that yet. What made me really curious was seeing a street car lightened flywheel. Chances are, I may not even mess with it due to funds. As far as being able to afford boosting 2 cars..... I really cant . On the other hand, my civic is paid off, and I had a geat deal on the Teg. I'm not married anymore and no kids. In actuality, I average bills like most of you. I just dont do anything else with my extra money but spend it on my car but only certain percentages. The rest go to my "buy-a-house" fund .

Quote:
those #'s dont look all that bad. did you have a chance to see what the air/fuel mix was on the civic? and do you have the timing retarded alot on it?
oh, what are the cam gears set on on the teg?
The dyno run was just a pass... no tuning involved. That is why I didnt get any A/F ratio info. It was a $50 fee for 2 runs on an HP competition that doesnt happen often around here. I knew I wasnt gonna win. I just wanted to know how much HP both of my cars have. My civic is running on stock timing with no detonation. I will mess with this during the tuning process on the dyno.... and I havent really checked the timing set on the cam gears on my teg....daym azvcivic... thanks for reminding me.... he he he he.
Quote:
the numbers on the civic don't look bad at all. 175whp ( well i assume it was a chassis dyno)? that's damn nice

That's the torque bro. WHP is 166.
Quote:
#s aren't bad...like you said its only holdin' 8 psi and spikin' to 10 psi...and i'm sure the beat up clutch has alot to do with the lower than expected numbers..i can only dream that my civic havin' that much power and that mighty impressive torque!!
The clutch was not as bad during the dyno run. It got fried later that evening when my stupid arse tried racing my friend. You civic will pull higher numbers than this with that 19T. Get a high-flo cat and better fuel management running with bigger injectors. I know somebody running the same turbo and stock engine as mine at 11 psi on Hondata but pushing 203 at the wheels.

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 11-30-2003, 02:26 PM   #11
AzCivic

well check those settings! and make sure they were put on right. I had midas put my cam gear on when they replaced my timing belt and they of course screwed up and i was running like 20 degrees off of tdc, which made it almost impossible to drive with the a/c on(NO LOW END POWER!) so that could be your problem as well.
Old 11-30-2003, 02:36 PM   #12
pdiggitydogg

yet another reason to hate midas
Old 12-01-2003, 06:33 PM   #13
thermal
Banning Machine

Dyno tuning is scheduled within afew weeks. I need to put the clutch in first.

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 12-01-2003, 09:04 PM   #14
sohc_vtec 2NR

can't wait til you dyno tune your civic...
Old 12-12-2003, 11:44 PM   #15
4g63t
2nd Gear

Dang, dude, those numbers suck. I thought you'd atleast be pushing 180-200whp. Gosh dang. Hopefully with your tuning it'll help some how? What's there left to tune?
Old 12-12-2003, 11:58 PM   #16
thermal
Banning Machine

Fuel management. The AFC hack is not properly set.

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 12-13-2003, 06:43 PM   #17
4g63t
2nd Gear

I see. Ya i told some guys about your numbers and they said your civic should have alot more power than it does and something is seriously wrong with your tegs numbers. Isnt stock trq like 120? Anyways, i can't wait to see my numbers when i finish my project. What do you guys think it'll be with the following mods...Ported big 16g turbo at 22 PSI with hallman mbc, 104 race gas, fmic/2.5" piping, turbo-back 3'' mandrel bent exhaust/no cat, ported manifold, and o2 housing, 2-3/4" intake, K&N, hacked air box, GMAFT and GMAF30, rewired 190 walbro fuel pump, act 2100, and a turbo xs h-34 venting.....i think that's all ive done so far besides suspension and what not. Hopefully i wont hit fuel cut becuase i still have the 450's and i dont have a s-afc, but the race gas will make up for the small injectors. Im hoping for anything past 300whp.
Old 12-13-2003, 10:13 PM   #18
AzCivic

i dont think you or your friends know what they're talking about
Old 12-13-2003, 10:27 PM   #19
sohc_vtec 2NR

once the fuel management is set up properly, i'm sure i'd help a great deal..
Old 12-13-2003, 11:21 PM   #20
thermal
Banning Machine

Quote:
Originally posted by AzCivic
i dont think you or your friends know what they're talking about

LOL........exactly my thoughts......

4g63t,
Did you happen to tell them that I have a 4-1 header and a high flow exhaust systems which is almost next to an "open" pipe. Toque is lost there on the Teg.

As I said, my air/fuel ratio is not tuned. Any untuned car will run like crap- turbo or not.

I think that you're set-up is decent. However your fuel set-up bothers me. Are you referring to a 190 LPH fuel pump? 450cc at 22 psi boost on that engine may not be a good combination to achieve 300 whp even with race gas......well, it's possible but I think extensive tuning must be incorporated. Goodluck on your set-up. I will surely post once tuning is done on my civic.

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 12-14-2003, 11:46 PM   #21
4g63t
2nd Gear

I copied and pasted your teg description, only half of them thought you had the turbo already on it. I missed that part too. As for my numbers....i have an egt gauge, datalogger, boost, and air/fuel gauge, so i think i'll be able to tune with my set up. The gmaft will do well as long as i keep my boost down to prevent knock. And honestly i think your not giving the 4g63t enough credit. I mean shoot, you can put down 300hp at the crank with the 14b turbo. We'll see when it's all done though. Hopefully in the next 2 months(hopefully it's done by then.....it's been down eversince last august when we first bought it, i'll save up enough money to get some 550's and a safc, although my lawnmowing business is down for the winter so it's gonna be hard to come up with 450 bux.
Old 12-15-2003, 03:10 PM   #22
thermal
Banning Machine

whoah.... dont get me wrong. I like DSM and I know that those 4g63 can handle a lot of power with stock internals. Nothing against that.... what bothers me is your fuel set-up running at 22 psi boost with 190 LPH and 450cc and trying to achieve 300whp. I know that your motor can no doubt handle it. I just think that you will be short of fuel....... but hey, it's your ride man. Post your numbers soon...... peace!

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 12-16-2003, 05:52 PM   #23
4g63t
2nd Gear

Well, i probably will be short, for starters i haven't got a big16g yet, i'm just shopping around for the best used one. I'll see how much boost i can run with it. 22 was a little high i have to agree, not for the 190, but for the 450's for sure. I'll start the turbo at like 16 and go from there.
Old 12-18-2003, 01:11 PM   #24
ifeldwn02
3rd Gear

i like to know what the civic gets after u get done with the tuning, just to see if u spent ur money right. no affense or anything but i have a friend who has a 92 hatch with a b16 na with only a intake and exhaust and he hit 173whp on the dyno. i am just trying to say u could have a b16 with slight mods to get u to the same hp with spending about the same +/- a little but be able to get better gains in the long run from the b instead of the d series
ifeldwn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 04:28 PM   #25
thermal
Banning Machine

no problem. My life was different then when all I had was the civic. I do not regret the fact that I chose to turbo a D16 instead of a swap. B16's are okay to me. Will sure post new numbers upon completion

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 12-18-2003, 08:27 PM   #26
AzCivic

Quote:
Originally posted by ifeldwn02
i like to know what the civic gets after u get done with the tuning, just to see if u spent ur money right. no affense or anything but i have a friend who has a 92 hatch with a b16 na with only a intake and exhaust and he hit 173whp on the dyno. i am just trying to say u could have a b16 with slight mods to get u to the same hp with spending about the same +/- a little but be able to get better gains in the long run from the b instead of the d series

when you learn a little more about cars you'll understand that a peak power # doesnt mean crap.
Old 12-18-2003, 10:14 PM   #27
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

Quote:
Originally posted by AzCivic
when you learn a little more about cars you'll understand that a peak power # doesnt mean crap.

w00t ? that sells the car.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 08:49 PM   #28
ifeldwn02
3rd Gear

im so sorry but wasnt that part of the reason for the post because of the dyno #s. also i know that peak #s are just that u still have to have low, mid , and top end power. im not saying that i know everything but the guy who ownes the car more than likely knows more about them then u do azcivic just for the fact that he is a master toyota tech and mitsu tech. but as hondaman-iac put peak power is what sells. u dont buy the car that is rated at a lower hp than the one that is rated high in most cases.
Old 12-26-2003, 08:50 PM   #29
ifeldwn02
3rd Gear

i do still want to see the dyno #s when u get them just to see what u got after tuning
Old 12-26-2003, 09:06 PM   #30
thermal
Banning Machine

will sure post it.... still trying to get the clutch in.

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 12-28-2003, 01:46 AM   #31
ifeldwn02
3rd Gear

good luck
Old 12-31-2003, 12:08 AM   #32
vtectuned

i have faith in the d16's. i think once thermal tunes the civic people are gonna be surprised it's a d16. as a matter of fact once he gets it tuned right, he should definately get the btm.
my cousin called me up the other day wanting to hack hid d16, he's into lsvtecs, so i was surprised me calling me about turboing a d16. he said the reason why he wants to do it is because he saw a civic with the afc hack, rip apart a lsvtec civic.
Old 01-02-2004, 04:33 AM   #33
thermal
Banning Machine

whooped an '01 typeR with my 166 whp 175 ft/lb D16.......... 3 times!

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 01-05-2004, 03:32 PM   #34
vtectuned

that's what i'm talking bout d*mnit. d16 holdin it down.
Old 01-05-2004, 07:33 PM   #35
thermal
Banning Machine

...shit my brakes just started squeaking. I think I need new pads too... dang it... . Now I goota fix this before my dyno tuning

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 01-08-2004, 10:38 AM   #36
sohc_vtec 2NR

great job toyin' with the ITR..
Old 01-08-2004, 05:03 PM   #37
thermal
Banning Machine

Just got more stuff in the mail. The turbo manifold for the B18 is sooooo sexy

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 01-09-2004, 07:15 AM   #38
vtectuned

so you're gonna boost the itr huh? what kind of turbo do you want to run?
Old 01-09-2004, 08:49 AM   #39
thermal
Banning Machine

I already have these, or in the mail:
Parts:
-Garrett T3T04e 57t and 63 A/R
-SPF race tubular manifold
-Todd's custom 31x10x2.6 FMIC
-Tial race BOV
-Tial 38mm WG (7.25 spring)
-RC 550cc saturated
-Walbro 255 LPH intank fuel pump
-OBD2 to OBD1 conversion harness
-P28 ready for Hondata TypeR program
-60mm GReddy A/F ratio gauge "peak and hold"
-60mm GReddy EGT gauge "peak and hold"
-60mm GReddy boost gauge "peak and hold"
-52mm GReddy oil pressure gauge
-52mm GReddy fuel pressure gauge
-GReddy turbo timer
-2.5 inch piping
-and some little stuff like fittings, flanges, and shit....

Need:
-Hondata program S200 with boost option
-probably more 2.5 inch piping
-cometic 3mm gasket
-oil feed and return line
-GReddy profec-B
-Electronic E-cut
-block guard
-Money to get this shit going faster

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 01-09-2004, 12:51 PM   #40
vtectuned

damn, that 1st class pay doing you good. ay thermal, i'm almost out. getting out the 20th.